Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was Sawyer given free rein with POE?

roshan

Arcane
OK, so something I don't understand. It seems like Sawyer was given almost free rein to do whatever he wanted with the POE project, even really controversial (and stupid) ideas such as scrapping XP for combat. Why was this the case? Why didn't Feargus or any of the upper management step in to set the project back on the right path?

tarasis

Novice
Presumably because they have faith in him, and it was his project. To be fair I am happy with the no XP for combat, it was something different for a change.

roshan

Arcane
Presumably because they have faith in him, and it was his project. To be fair I am happy with the no XP for combat, it was something different for a change.

Well, why was he even assigned the project, given that he didn't even like BG2? I mean he may have backtracked with his recent comments but he is on the record bashing the game in the past.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because he was the project lead?

Also, they have confidence in Sawyer as a designer. I mean, he was given leadership of big franchises like Baldur's Gate and Fallout (both in Obz and Black Isle) while he was pretty much a noobie as a designer, is obvious that the people he works with think highly about his abilities and it's no surprise that he was the man to go.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He is also the only person at Obsidian who tries to think deeply about RPG systems, to the point of overthinking it perhaps, even if his preferences and the conclusions he reaches - or even his approach as such - may not be to everyone's liking. The way he's knowledgeable about it should look pretty impressive to the rest of Obsidian employees / his bosses, too.

MCA and Tim Cain seem more "old school" in the sense of "let's do whatever sounds like fun" - an approach I tend to prefer myself - while Sawyer seems more methodical/systematic in this regard, and as a result also more "dry."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We don't really know what Tim Cain's design philosophy is like these days, I think.

Avellone, OTOH, seems like he wants to be more Sawyer-like, but just can't stop himself from being a pure content creation blast furnace.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Avellone, OTOH, seems like he wants to be more Sawyer-like

Where do you get that feeling from? Because I can't recall MCA ever (attempting to) approach systems the way Sawyer does. MCA seems purely content- / fun-driven to me (wouldn't it be fun if...?), and self-consciously so.

As for Tim, that's the feeling I get from the things he suggested during the PoE kickstarter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Where do you get that feeling from? Because I can't recall MCA ever (attempting to) approach systems the way Sawyer does.

Well, not really explicitly the way Sawyer does, but he often expresses admiration for games with a more systems-centric approach to design. And talks about how everything he does ideally has to interface with the game's systems. Stuff like that. It seems like he's a bit in awe of that sort of approach.

Last edited:
Weasel
I0iibJo.jpg

Crooked Bee

Patron
Ah, right, I agree with that. It's the usual thing, admiring something you know you lack.

I'm also not sure that's what Sawyer's approach is about, personally (I mean, making everything in the game part or extension of the core gameplay systems), but I admit I'm just not knowledgeable enough about it. That sounds more like Looking Glass' or Larian's (taking just D:OS here) approach to me. Both are systems-driven obviously, but they're still not the same. I'm not sure I can formulate the difference off the top of my head, though.

The way MCA has been talking about Bioshock etc. makes me think he has LGS' approach in mind, not necessarily Sawyer's.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
OK, so something I don't understand. It seems like Sawyer was given almost free rein to do whatever he wanted with the POE project, even really controversial (and stupid) ideas such as scrapping XP for combat. Why was this the case? Why didn't Feargus or any of the upper management step in to set the project back on the right path?
Are we talking about the game that got 90 on Metacritics (most US reviews are 95-100, 8.5 user score)? Yeah, why didn't they stop this madman? WHY?!!!

Cazzeris

Metacritic should never be used as an argument. It represents videogames' journalism as a whole, and we all know that it's one of the most retarded collectives to ever exist.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are we talking about the game that got 90 on Metacritics (most US reviews are 95-100, 8.5 user score)? Yeah, why didn't they stop this madman? WHY?!!!

And Oblivion has 94 on Metacritic.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Metacritic should never be used as an argument. It represents videogames' journalism as a whole, and we all know that it's one of the most retarded collectives to ever exist.
Still better score than 84, y'know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Nowadays the most important thing may be a game's Steam approval score, which is at 91% for PoE

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Obsidian is a business, so if Sawyer can design games that score very highly, I don't know why they wouldn't let him continue. I don't think these companies care about how retarded game critics are.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Obsidian is a business, so if Sawyer can design games that score very highly, I don't know why they wouldn't let him continue. I don't think these companies care about how retarded game critics are.

I do understand that every dev wants their game to have high scores even from retarded game critics, but that doesnt mean that high scores equals a good game.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
but that doesnt mean that high scores equals a good game.

It doesn't, but I don't think anyone was implying that it does.

Well VD mentioned high scores the game has on Metacritic in response to a post being critical of how game turned out, seems to me he implied that its a proof Sawyer did a good job aka made a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom