Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wild West RPGs - who knows one of them?

taxacaria

Scholar
I'm looking for a Wild West RPG, at least with some Red Indians in it.
Any recommendation?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not an RPG, but Desperados is a nice tactics game with quite good combat and a nice story. You also get interesting characters with interesting special abilities.
But real RPGs? None that I know of.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I know I played around with the idea of a wild western rpg in my head for a long time at some point, but never found any game though.

Desperados is a great game though. Some (especially the last few) levels are crap but otherwise its very enjoyable.

User was nabbed fit

Now there's a setting I'd like to see in an RPG.

denizsi

Arcane
What about Gun? I know it's not an RPG but close enough to Gothic series (except for skills) from what I've heard.

Ladonna

Arcane
GUN is ok. Its no RPG but its better than most western games.

it would be a nice setting.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Another project that could be done with FIFE, maybe? Combat would be pretty good in a wild west rpg. Guns would be inaccurate but deadly, melee actually has some use 'cos of the piss poor aim, tedious reloading and unreliability of firearms.

You'd have more than enough social conflict to have an interesting plot. Slavery, immigration, industrial revolution etc.

Ladonna

Arcane
I didn't like it much. The controls felt... awkward.

Console ports do this. Hence why I don't like them.

Another project that could be done with FIFE, maybe? Combat would be pretty good in a wild west rpg. Guns would be inaccurate but deadly, melee actually has some use 'cos of the piss poor aim, tedious reloading and unreliability of firearms.

You'd have more than enough social conflict to have an interesting plot. Slavery, immigration, industrial revolution etc.

For sure. It will be nice when its finished.

Dpayne

Scholar
A spaghetti western type setting during the Civil war would be cool (ala The Good The Bad and The Ugly). Players could go Union, confederate, or play both sides if they wanted.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's strange that there aren't more games set in the Wild West. There's tons of Western movies, but I can only name three Wild West games off of the top my head.

Ladonna

Arcane
How many western movies are there today though? I think that holds the answer.

Personally, I would rather play an RPG that blended western with another genre, such as horror or sci-fi (not Darkwatch).

Another good western game worth looking into is Call of Juarez. It's a FPS through and through, but I enjoyed it more than Gun, and certainly more than the abysmal Red Dead Revolver.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Legion said:
Personally, I would rather play an RPG that blended western with another genre, such as horror or sci-fi (not Darkwatch).

Another good western game worth looking into is Call of Juarez. It's a FPS through and through, but I enjoyed it more than Gun, and certainly more than the abysmal Red Dead Revolver.

Call of Juarez, yeah, read something about it but forgot the name of the game. Sounds like it's incredibly cool and got some solid action gameplay.

Still, I wonder why there were almost no western RPGs made in the 80's... back then the genre was still more popular than today, and it would have made an interesting setting.
Maybe some obscure text RPG stuff?

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Gunfights in CoJ are a pain in the ass. Guns are inacurate and have little ammo, half of them take a while to reload. The game would've been 50% better if there was an ability to use bullet time without drawing your guns because it's kinda a silly to use this again and again, plus it's annoying to coordinate the two moving crosshairs. Also it would've been better if the stealth missions didn't force stealth (even Thief didn't force you to use a stealth aproach!).

The game wins points for being ultra cool (shooting people in the face while reading the holly scripture), realy bloody effects and cool ragdoll efects when shooting the dirty cow poke. The storyline is also excellent the first few missions when Billy is runing from the preacher were incredible.

Outlaws and Desperados are by far the best western games I've played.

Oh and there's a mod for HL1, called Wanted. I didn't try it, is it any good?

Edit: Oh! And a western CRPG would do great for a Jagged Alliance type of game, where you control your own gang of bandits.

Gambler

Augur
What would be the appeal of western RPGs? Horses? Old guns? Train robberies? All of those things are not terribly exciting, especially in the framework of an oversimplified reality westerns commonly impose. (Not that I watched great deal of them.)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Gambler said:
What would be the appeal of western RPGs? Horses? Old guns? Train robberies? All of those things are not terribly exciting, especially in the framework of an oversimplified reality westerns commonly impose. (Not that I watched great deal of them.)

What is the appeal of SF, Fantasy or WW2 then?
I think a game set in the Wild West would be quite interesting. It would be a fresh, unused setting, and it can have both melee and ranged combat. It can have quests which have not been used in other RPGs yet, like train robberies or some stuff with Indians. The appeal of the setting also lies in the relatively wild lands with not that much civilization, deserts, forests, the wild Indians, and all that kind of stuff. And it would be a welcome change from all the Sword and Sorcery overuse.

rei1974

Scholar
I think a game in WW would be very interesting too. A pity nobody ever tried to make it like a CRPG. There are some strategy, RTS or FPS games settled in WW but not any rpg so far... :(

taxacaria

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
rei1974 said:
I think a game in WW would be very interesting too. A pity nobody ever tried to make it like a CRPG. There are some strategy, RTS or FPS games settled in WW but not any rpg so far... :(

There is.
"Another War" : combat sucks, many puzzles, combat sucks, nice scenery, combat sucks, bugs, combat sucks, beta state, combat sucks.
It's more an Adventure than an RPG. And, did I mention the sucking combat already?

-----------------------
Gambler said:
Think about the contrasts between Settlers/Red Indians - Civilisation/Red Indian mythology -trouble between colonizationing nations etc, and you have an interesting setting to put a "hero" inside. There are lots of possibilities for moral decisions and mountains of quest materials. Or take Gold Rush, Civil War etc...

Desperados is a great game, but there are not enough RPG elements in it.
I know a few sims with economy based build-up strategy and some tactics, too - but they aren't very satisfying.

Seems to be no Wild West RPGs on the market - strange.

Maybe I should try to get a copy of "Call of Juarez" or "Gun" - which one of them is better?

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Gun is a PS2 game...

CoJ has a cool story and atmosphere, but the shooting is chaotic and inacurate. Oh and it's very short, the storyline might seem like something that can gow on for 60 hours, but the ending is rushed and you can finish it in arround 10-15 hours.

If you want a good FPS get a copy of Lucas Arts: Outlaws ma'boy!

And if you have HL1 installed you should get Wanted. It's not a piece of art, but it's not a piece of shit either. The shooting mechanics are better then in CoJ atleast.

Ladonna

Arcane
Gun was ported to PC.

"Another War" : combat sucks, many puzzles, combat sucks, nice scenery, combat sucks, bugs, combat sucks, beta state, combat sucks.
It's more an Adventure than an RPG. And, did I mention the sucking combat already?

I actually bought this game....I know, I was desperate. Its a shame, with a better combat system it might have been fairly good. I remember reading some of the journal entries (Written by Wolfgang or whatever his name was. A drunk German deserter you pick up early in the game who acts as your chronicler and sidekick) and finding them hilarious. Its Polish origins were quite open; Both the Germans and the Russians are evil. Pity it didn't have a little more work done on the game itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom