Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wildstar - Next NCSoft MMORPG

Well, if you fuck up then you're dead in a flash... trip your enemy up and he's dead in a flash.

Problem, Gerrard? I think it's a hell of a lot better than the old damage sponge - stand completely still whilst casting system.

PS. I forgot to reply in a manner which reflect the intellectual properties of your own posts... here I go: LOL FAGUT U DUMB LOL HAHAHA

Gerrard

Arcane
Well, if you fuck up then you're dead in a flash... trip your enemy up and he's dead in a flash.

Problem, Gerrard? I think it's a hell of a lot better than the old damage sponge - stand completely still whilst casting system.

PS. I forgot to reply in a manner which reflect the intellectual properties of your own posts... here I go: LOL FAGUT U DUMB LOL HAHAHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGzzS1jGJc
Watch this video, then you'll understand why combat in WS is the same old shit as WoW.
Even fucking Neverwinter has better combat.

Angthoron

Arcane
Played this a bit again, and I'm honestly mystified - whose fucking idea was it to make the first section, spaceship, unskippable? Fuck, it should be completely optional via a "What just happened?" NPC that can then do a tutorial for newbs. The tutorial is bland, slow, and insultingly easy. The exposition is not worth the time spent on it by any stretch of imagination. No wonder you bros say it's the worst MMO you ever played, it only gets to actual MMO content after like 1,5 fucking hours. YMMV of course, but there's just a fuckton of intro content, first it's intro ship, then it's intro first zone, and only after that it's actually a fucking MMO.

And yeah, there's about 0 new things, like I said - just about a decade of MMOs put into one. If you're sick of WoW clones, you'll be sick of this one.

Avellion

Erudite
Played this a bit again, and I'm honestly mystified - whose fucking idea was it to make the first section, spaceship, unskippable? Fuck, it should be completely optional via a "What just happened?" NPC that can then do a tutorial for newbs. The tutorial is bland, slow, and insultingly easy.

Isnt that the whole game, or at least the entire levelling experience? I dunno but I have never gone below 80% of my HP and I am just pushing 2 buttons, one of which is an AoE that 2 shots almost everything. Maybe I need to level more, or maybe my class (medic) is just OP, but I really can't force myself to play anymore.

Angthoron

Arcane
Played this a bit again, and I'm honestly mystified - whose fucking idea was it to make the first section, spaceship, unskippable? Fuck, it should be completely optional via a "What just happened?" NPC that can then do a tutorial for newbs. The tutorial is bland, slow, and insultingly easy.

Isnt that the whole game, or at least the entire levelling experience? I dunno but I have never gone below 80% of my HP and I am just pushing 2 buttons, one of which is an AoE that 2 shots almost everything. Maybe I need to level more, or maybe my class (medic) is just OP, but I really can't force myself to play anymore.
Seems to get a difficulty bump at L10, I suddenly couldn't carve everything into tiny pieces on the Stalker anymore, though it's still possible to tackle some of the 3-man boss fights solo with a lot of dodging. It certainly isn't quite as horribly easy and boring as the spaceship + intro zones. Elites are quite beefy, too. Then again, can't speak for Medic experience, it could be that casters with self-heals have an easier time.

I dunno. Difficulty would certainly need to be upped for the earlier levels, by a whole bunch, and the intro made skippable.

Zones are rather uneven, too. One of the Dominion zones I've actually enjoyed a lot, another, not at all, quest flow could need adjustments... I could play the "It's beta" card, but with launch in just a month from now, I can see a lot of things that are currently detrimental to the reception.

Kinda funny, it's one of those games where the worst things are actually placed at the start of a game. Like an afterthought or something.

Avellion

Erudite

Seems to get a difficulty bump at L10, I suddenly couldn't carve everything into tiny pieces on the Stalker anymore, though it's still possible to tackle some of the 3-man boss fights solo with a lot of dodging. It certainly isn't quite as horribly easy and boring as the spaceship + intro zones. Elites are quite beefy, too. Then again, can't speak for Medic experience, it could be that casters with self-heals have an easier time.

I dunno. Difficulty would certainly need to be upped for the earlier levels, by a whole bunch, and the intro made skippable.

Zones are rather uneven, too. One of the Dominion zones I've actually enjoyed a lot, another, not at all, quest flow could need adjustments... I could play the "It's beta" card, but with launch in just a month from now, I can see a lot of things that are currently detrimental to the reception.

Kinda funny, it's one of those games where the worst things are actually placed at the start of a game. Like an afterthought or something.
I see, I got to around level 9 before I quit, maybe I should try to endure one more level of tedium. As for self heals, I dont have a single healing spell yet, nor have I bothered checking if I need one. Right now all I need is 2 presses on the 2 button and if the enemy still lives just finish them off with a press on the 1 button, but comparing my damage output to the warriors and stalkers I encountered, it does seem I have an easier time than them due to having superior damage output (even though I rolled this class because I wanted to be the doctor, not the killer).

But yes, they should make the starting zones skippable, because those were dreadful. Quite possibly the worst pacing I have seen in an mmo yet. The scientist path quests were somehow even worse, run around and scan objects of no relevance. No thought involved at all.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah. Paths are pretty weird. Tried Explorer, it's for those people that go 100% map completion in Assassin's Creed and GTAs, tried Soldier and it was reasonable "Just kill shit" stuff (probably the best for average player), tried Scientist and actually eventually found a fairly neat little puzzle amidst the "Scan stuff with robot" hubbub.

Higher DPS output than Warrior on a healer character? Wow, that's something. I dunno, try to get to 10, and move to another zone. If you're Dominion, I'd strongly suggest the zone east of the capital - it actually has a coherent storyline, a rather nice looking zone, and quests that are generally entertaining - some anti-grav fruit collection, a "steal three pigs to test the outpost security" mission, overall, out of all the zones I enjoyed that one the most. It might be a bit above your level, but if you're having it too easy on-level, might be time to move on to something that outlevels you instead.

Dunno about Exiles though - still, the recommendation should stand for that too. Check out other zones.

Avellion

Erudite
Yeah. Paths are pretty weird. Tried Explorer, it's for those people that go 100% map completion in Assassin's Creed and GTAs, tried Soldier and it was reasonable "Just kill shit" stuff (probably the best for average player), tried Scientist and actually eventually found a fairly neat little puzzle amidst the "Scan stuff with robot" hubbub.

Higher DPS output than Warrior on a healer character? Wow, that's something. I dunno, try to get to 10, and move to another zone. If you're Dominion, I'd strongly suggest the zone east of the capital - it actually has a coherent storyline, a rather nice looking zone, and quests that are generally entertaining - some anti-grav fruit collection, a "steal three pigs to test the outpost security" mission, overall, out of all the zones I enjoyed that one the most. It might be a bit above your level, but if you're having it too easy on-level, might be time to move on to something that outlevels you instead.

Dunno about Exiles though - still, the recommendation should stand for that too. Check out other zones.
I will probably do that then, since I got this far I might as well do a bit more to get to the good part. And yes doing content that outlevels you is a good idea. But will the game punish me for actually wanting to be challenged like WoW does (hello there lack of quests and glancing blows)?

Angthoron

Arcane
I will probably do that then, since I got this far I might as well do a bit more to get to the good part. And yes doing content that outlevels you is a good idea. But will the game punish me for actually wanting to be challenged like WoW does (hello there lack of quests and glancing blows)?

I think there's some level-locked stuff, but it's mostly the Wanted quests from what I've seen. I left the first proper zone at around L10, went to the capital, then moved to a higher-level zone, got a quest chain immediately, think it was a couple of levels above me. So yeah, you can't have quests massively outlevel you, but it's probably a safe bet for 2-3 levels of difference. Also, at L10 you'll actually be given a chance to pick up some craft skills, and through that, some quick XP as well. Hindsight tip: Don't "overload" the enchant value on your first crafted item for the quest - I had a 17% chance to fail, failed, and then spent ages finding out just where the hell to find unfarmed iron on the first map.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Exiles have better starting areas than Dominion, far more better actually.
Combat was pretty boring for me as an engineer but after getting 15 and changing some skills/AMPs I actually started to kill shit fast :)

Angthoron

Arcane
The thing I kinda like is how later on, the mob difficulty is rather varied across a subzone, you might be slicing up minion/normal-quality mobs for a quest, tackle a superior or two, then accidentally hit a Prime with 25x your HP pool and be like "Oh".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGzzS1jGJc
Watch this video, then you'll understand why combat in WS is the same old shit as WoW.
Even fucking Neverwinter has better combat.

Yeah, fair enough. Now that I've been edjumaficationed I can see that Wildstar is far from perfect. It also made me think about the encounters I've had and it seems like mobs hit you automatically about five times before winding up a five second attack. I'm in it for the pvp though, but it's a damned shame that they didn't follow the Tera model more closely. Could have made for some interesting pve.

Avellion

Erudite
Wildstar's combat is considerably worse than WoW, it is in fact even Guild Wars 2 level of shit: There is nothing else but cooldown to manage.
Sadly that concept of not having to manage any resource aside from cooldown is appearantly becoming the norm now.

But of the classes I tried both of them had some class based resource to manage, for engineers it was focus or something like that that was replenished by shooting enemies with the shotgun and the medic had 4 cubes. That said, both resources replenished so absurdly fast I dont see why they bothered with them. But yes, if you copy GW2 combat, it is only natural you get a "GW2 level of shit" combat.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wildstar's combat is considerably worse than WoW, it is in fact even Guild Wars 2 level of shit: There is nothing else but cooldown to manage.
Sadly that concept of not having to manage any resource aside from cooldown is appearantly becoming the norm now.
Mental disability becoming the norm. I won't use the term 'lowest common denominator' because that has long been reached (and undercut). Even an ape could play this game.

Bahamut

Arcane
My experience with the beta, installed, launched, game ran like utter shit, even on lowest with all render downscale things (while my laptop is no wondermachine it managed to run all games so far on mind-high settings), uninstalled
0/10 wont bother again

Hazey

Novice
Don't play it then, fucking oldfags. Go and play Wizardry 8 or whatever ancient piece of shit you class as a good game.

Avellion

Erudite
Don't play it then, fucking oldfags. Go and play Wizardry 8 or whatever ancient piece of shit you class as a good game.

Looks at my joined date... well I clearly shouldn't call myself an oldfag.

Let me guess, are you gonna call me retarded, accuse me of having ADHD or pull something similar out of your ass like the all other WildStar fanboys defending your poorly designed mmo?

Of course you call Wizardry a piece of shit though. Seeing as you probably enjoy this shallow "press 2 to win" crap, I would be genuinely surprised if your brain didn't melt from playing any Wizardry game.

Angthoron

Arcane
Of course you call Wizardry a piece of shit though. Seeing as you probably enjoy this shallow "press 2 to win" crap, I would be genuinely surprised if your brain didn't melt from playing any Wizardry game.
I'm guessing your experience of playing a Medic didn't improve at level 10 then :lol:

Avellion

Erudite
I'm guessing your experience of playing a Medic didn't improve at level 10 then :lol:
Only slightly. At least I have some healing spells now making soloing elites even easier than it was before.

Angthoron

Arcane
Only slightly. At least I have some healing spells now making soloing elites even easier than it was before.
I guess they took the "Levelling a healer is a pain in the ass" complaints a normal MMO would get a tad too close to heart.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom