Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 2 voted BEST RPG OF THE (half-) YEAR

made

Arcane
By prestigious magazine Pixeljumpers

The Witcher 2 followed up on the already hardcore Witcher and made it even MORE hardcore. While the game’s difficulty may be off-putting to most, Assassin of King‘s deep RPG mechanics and epic storyline make this the best RPG of the year so far.

You read it here first, folks, before Jeasun deleted my thread and spotted it at Gamebanshee.

ps: how I change font size in topic title? I wanted to make the "half-" real tiny but it wouldn't let me.

made

Arcane
Konjad said:
It won because there was no other cRPGs?

Nonsense. Lern2read. It won because it was the most hardcore and epic of them all.

Quilty

Magister
Oh so having a clunky interface, non-responsive character, entirely forgettable story and combat based on Tomb Raider is hardcore nowadays?

:x

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Quilty said:
Oh so having a clunky interface, non-responsive character, entirely forgettable story and combat based on Tomb Raider is hardcore nowadays?

No. Fortunately The Witcher 2 doesn't have those.

Quilty

Magister
J_C said:
Quilty said:

You're telling me you actually enjoyed this thing? I'm not even trolling, I'm actually interested to know how you managed to like it? I couldn't use the inventory, it was that irritating and consoley (that's what I meant by the "interface"), Geralt doesn't respond well to commands in combat so it takes him forever to do something well, like turn around or sometimes even parry. I would actually enjoy the combat were it not for Geralt's unresponsiveness, consoleish boss battles, MASH X TO PROCEED, and the irritating auto aim. I'm not saying Witcher1 had better combat, but the game's dark atmosphere and interesting system of collecting bits of lore motivated me to play it and explore its world. In comparison, TW2 feels like derp, despire the gorgeous graphics and truly stunning moments like the assault on the castle.

Quilty said:
You're telling me you actually enjoyed this thing? I'm not even trolling, I'm actually interested to know how you managed to like it? I couldn't use the inventory, it was that irritating and consoley (that's what I meant by the "interface"), Geralt doesn't respond well to commands in combat so it takes him forever to do something well, like turn around or sometimes even parry. I would actually enjoy the combat were it not for Geralt's unresponsiveness, consoleish boss battles, MASH X TO PROCEED, and the irritating auto aim. I'm not saying Witcher1 had better combat, but the game's dark atmosphere and interesting system of collecting bits of lore motivated me to play it and explore its world. In comparison, TW2 feels like derp, despire the gorgeous graphics and truly stunning moments like the assault on the castle.

Please explain how the heck you couldn't use the inventory?! Sure, it's a console-friendly list-type inventory, but that's hardly "unusable".

The combat system is responsive, but gets some getting used to. Other than that, once you get into the rhythm of it, you can pull off quite a few fancy maneuvers by alternating light and heavy attacks and dodging. Parrying does not work when you're out of vigor, and vigor does not regenerate when you have Quen on. So if you’re the type of guy who uses Quen extensively, you’re basically cancelling put your ability to parry.

The combat is no more or less derpy and twitchy than in another ARPG that seems to score praise around here (Yes, I’m talking about DKS), so I really don’t see what the problem is.

Other than that, the “press X repeatedly for shit to happen” moments are indeed unnerving, but for fuck’s sake, if that’s all it takes to completely dismiss a game nowadays, I wouldn’t be playing anything at all.

Quilty said:
forgettable story

We must have played different games then or have incredibly different tastes regarding narratives, because I found the story, characters and dialogues to be the most compelling and best executed aspects of the game.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Quilty said:
J_C said:
Quilty said:

I know you are annoyed by the game Quilty, but the facts are none of us was put off by the quirks you mentioned. For me it was more - "Damn, that doesn't work great here. I wish they changed...". It was nothing really gamebreaking, but little annoyances were out there. I personally passionately hate consoley inventory; 2 overpowered signs (Aard and Quen); the fact that the skill tree doesn't really add new skills that often, but raises stats; that blocking reduces your vigour but apparently leapfrogging like crazy does not etc. Some story inconsistencies and wrong decisions dev made regarding the plot and its presentation also make me cringe.

In the end, however, I enjoyed the game greatly - more than any other AAA title since MotB got released.

Also, I don't get the criticism of too slow movements. I mean that was my initial impression as well, but having spent with the game 30 << hours it became very fluid and intuitive.

Angthoron

Arcane
I pretty much agree with what Mworak says - there were things they should definitely have done differently or better, but as for the story and other things, I completely disagree, nothing forgettable there - solid writing, decent amount of C&C, side characters more interesting than party NPC in BioWare games, combat and movement felt pretty reasonably smooth (though too easy maybe).

Yeah, there are flaws, but what'd people expect, an RPG messiah with story capabilities of Torment, Fallout and Arcanum and combat system of ToEE and KotC mixed with Die By The Sword? Dunno. Definitely haven't seen a better game in any field, be it RPG, FPS or RTS this year so far, so.

Angthoron said:
Yeah, there are flaws, but what'd people expect, an RPG messiah with story capabilities of Torment, Fallout and Arcanum and combat system of ToEE and KotC mixed with Die By The Sword? Dunno. Definitely haven't seen a better game in any field, be it RPG, FPS or RTS this year so far, so.

i gues you havent visit codex much between march and may 2011? cause thats exactly what potatoes where saying...

and leaked beta version of dx:hr is better than patched twicher 2 :thumbsup:

Radisshu

Prophet
J_C said:
Quilty said:

No, it became a hardcore RPG by featuring action gaming :P

EDIT: Also, Jaesun, why you deletin threads and actin like you found shit out first? You used to be cool man. But that ain't cool. :(

Radisshu

Prophet
If you are not, please comment on this recent surge of rumours regarding your newsposting.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If someone is too fucking stupid to press a button and type some text, there is not much else I can do.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Radisshu said:
So you deny that you deleted any topics?

Apparently you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. So perhaps you can explain this to the class.

Radisshu

Prophet
I am simply a Codex journalist, please do not take these questions personally.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Here, let me provide a useful tip:

8596.png

HELP HELP ME CODEX! I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO SUBMIT NEWS TO THE CODEX! HALP!! I AM BEING REPRESSED! OMFGWTFBBQ!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So people complaining about the controls, would you agree it can't be called "2twicher" anymore?

:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom