Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

Suicidal

Arcane
I just started this and I'm loving it. It seems like it will take me a second to get used to the deflect timings, though. I'm on the first boss, any tips for deflecting? It feels like there's a delay or maybe I'm deflecting too early...?
Deflection timings are quite strict in this game. Only advice I can give you other than "git gud/get used to it" is:

1. Hold block while deflecting, so if you fuck up you transition into the blocking state rather than idle state and don't eat damage.
2. Don't feel compelled to deflect everything. Sometimes it's better to dodge or run away.
3. The default dodge move in this game is quite shitty and inconvenient to use, so put 12 points into water and get the blink spell. Made combat much more enjoyable for me.

cruel

Cipher
First boss difficulty is ridiculous, or at least was, before they nerfed him - it was arguably one of the hardest, if not THE hardest fight of the whole game, thrown at you before you have time to learn the mechanics properly. What was key for me: pay attention to the button prompts in the second phase, you can end the fight early by finishing him with the guardian spirit (or whatever this thing was called).

Spike

Educated
First boss difficulty is ridiculous, or at least was, before they nerfed him - it was arguably one of the hardest, if not THE hardest fight of the whole game, thrown at you before you have time to learn the mechanics properly. What was key for me: pay attention to the button prompts in the second phase, you can end the fight early by finishing him with the guardian spirit (or whatever this thing was called).
I just started this and I'm loving it. It seems like it will take me a second to get used to the deflect timings, though. I'm on the first boss, any tips for deflecting? It feels like there's a delay or maybe I'm deflecting too early...?
Deflection timings are quite strict in this game. Only advice I can give you other than "git gud/get used to it" is:

1. Hold block while deflecting, so if you fuck up you transition into the blocking state rather than idle state and don't eat damage.
2. Don't feel compelled to deflect everything. Sometimes it's better to dodge or run away.
3. The default dodge move in this game is quite shitty and inconvenient to use, so put 12 points into water and get the blink spell. Made combat much more enjoyable for me.
Thanks for the tips, fellas. I got a little tipsy off White Claws before playing and beat him on first try rofl. That blocking tip really came in handy. I employed the Drunken Master strategy a la Jackie Chan and just let the flow take over: the tipsy gamer. Felt amazing. Deflects still feel a little off and I'm half-surprised when I do them, but oh well I am sure I will get used to it in time.

My only other question: is this like Nioh where you basically need to level every stat up, or should I min/max two main attributes? Assuming the former. Currently going Wood/Earth and using a plain sword and big screw-off hammer with spikes I got from the first boss. Sword has been best for deflect and melting each boss so far. I stopped at the level you meet Guan Yu and Zhang Fei (based) but I'm excited to get back to it.

Suicidal

Arcane
Thanks for the tips, fellas. I got a little tipsy off White Claws before playing and beat him on first try rofl. That blocking tip really came in handy. I employed the Drunken Master strategy a la Jackie Chan and just let the flow take over: the tipsy gamer. Felt amazing. Deflects still feel a little off and I'm half-surprised when I do them, but oh well I am sure I will get used to it in time.

My only other question: is this like Nioh where you basically need to level every stat up, or should I min/max two main attributes? Assuming the former. Currently going Wood/Earth and using a plain sword and big screw-off hammer with spikes I got from the first boss. Sword has been best for deflect and melting each boss so far. I stopped at the level you meet Guan Yu and Zhang Fei (based) but I'm excited to get back to it.
I just leveled 2 elements for the entire game. I think if you play through all the NG+ modes you might max everything but I didn't get that far.

There are sets later in the game that give you bonuses if you distribute your points evenly, but there are also sets that give you bonuses if you have a lot invested into a certain element.

Just level what you feel like leveling. Just don't forget to put 12 points into water for the teleport spell, you'll thank me later.

Spike

Educated

I just leveled 2 elements for the entire game. I think if you play through all the NG+ modes you might max everything but I didn't get that far.

There are sets later in the game that give you bonuses if you distribute your points evenly, but there are also sets that give you bonuses if you have a lot invested into a certain element.

Just level what you feel like leveling. Just don't forget to put 12 points into water for the teleport spell, you'll thank me later.
Yes, I remembered what you said! This game clicked after that boss you fight with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei. I did not realize you could play single, and only realized until after I killed the boss...I thought about restarting everything because the game's systems are starting to make sense but eh I guess I'll just continue. I beat the yellow turban leader (always forget his name, so many Chinese names with Z's in them) solo. I guess I can get my gamer points on NG+1 when I re-do those first couple bosses. It's so much quieter and more atmospheric when you're alone, I like it a lot better. Even though your bros are cool.

I am currently rocking sword (not saber) + eff-off huge hammer. I kinda want to use the big sword but I already put so much into Earth and that requires Metal, and I'm not crazy about the Metal element (earth is way cooler than poison spells).

Are all the weapons viable or are some way more difficult to use? How are fists and the staff?

Suicidal

Arcane

Yes, I remembered what you said! This game clicked after that boss you fight with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei. I did not realize you could play single, and only realized until after I killed the boss...I thought about restarting everything because the game's systems are starting to make sense but eh I guess I'll just continue. I beat the yellow turban leader (always forget his name, so many Chinese names with Z's in them) solo. I guess I can get my gamer points on NG+1 when I re-do those first couple bosses. It's so much quieter and more atmospheric when you're alone, I like it a lot better. Even though your bros are cool.

I am currently rocking sword (not saber) + eff-off huge hammer. I kinda want to use the big sword but I already put so much into Earth and that requires Metal, and I'm not crazy about the Metal element (earth is way cooler than poison spells).

Are all the weapons viable or are some way more difficult to use? How are fists and the staff?
Ironically, even though it's the most dumbfuck looking weapon, I think the big hammer is the most difficult to use properly. It has a mechanic where certain frames of your attack animations count as a block, so if you time your attacks right you can keep attacking and not take damage. DLC weapons - fists, greatswords and whips - are also quite a bit more complex than base game weapons.

You can't go wrong with staff or any other poled weapon because they can make the enemies stagger (they let you build a stagger meter on enemies that gives you a few seconds of free damage when it's full).

I think individual weapon types in this game don't have that much depth to them so I recommend trying out different ones every few missions. I found the greatsword, glaive and staff the most fun to use.

Spike

Educated

Ironically, even though it's the most dumbfuck looking weapon, I think the big hammer is the most difficult to use properly. It has a mechanic where certain frames of your attack animations count as a block, so if you time your attacks right you can keep attacking and not take damage. DLC weapons - fists, greatswords and whips - are also quite a bit more complex than base game weapons.

You can't go wrong with staff or any other poled weapon because they can make the enemies stagger (they let you build a stagger meter on enemies that gives you a few seconds of free damage when it's full).

I think individual weapon types in this game don't have that much depth to them so I recommend trying out different ones every few missions. I found the greatsword, glaive and staff the most fun to use.
That's crazy, I have been loving the hammer. Maybe it just clicks with me, and I have certainly noticed that block mechanic. Greatsword is the jian chu? That's a fun one. I love the charge-up attack. Whips and fists are super fun too.

Staff is fun too...Really everything seems fun. I am only limited by my stats because of the weapon types but I just unlocked the free re-spec too.

Spike

Educated
Ok I just got to Lu Bu (assuming for the first time). What is wrong with this game? I deflect a few times in a row and my stupid character starts grooving around like he has a twitch. Is it because I'm deflecting too soon? It's obnoxious and it keeps getting me killed. I will miss the first deflect but then my tempo is off for the rest of his big stupid combo and my guy jitters around like he has something up his bunghole. I wanted to throw my controller it was so annoying. It feels like deflects work some times and not others, however I am SURE it is me, and just how they implemented the mechanic which is taking me a sec to get the hang of.

Otherwise the game is fantastic, kino, and lo and behold all the whining was exactly that: whining. Team Ninjer delivers again.

Suicidal

Arcane
Ok I just got to Lu Bu (assuming for the first time). What is wrong with this game? I deflect a few times in a row and my stupid character starts grooving around like he has a twitch. Is it because I'm deflecting too soon?
I'm assuming your character starts dodging because you're pressing deflect too quickly and double tap deflect = dodge. It's really stupid and is one of the main problems I have with the combat system. When dodging multi hit combos the trick is to press the deflect button rapidly but with big enough pauses between presses for it to not count as a double tap. You'll get used eventually. I have no idea why they did this. Combat would have been much better if dodge was just a separate button. Maybe they ran out of buttons? Wish they would at least let PC players rebind this shit.

Spike

Educated
Ok I just got to Lu Bu (assuming for the first time). What is wrong with this game? I deflect a few times in a row and my stupid character starts grooving around like he has a twitch. Is it because I'm deflecting too soon?
I'm assuming your character starts dodging because you're pressing deflect too quickly and double tap deflect = dodge. It's really stupid and is one of the main problems I have with the combat system. When dodging multi hit combos the trick is to press the deflect button rapidly but with big enough pauses between presses for it to not count as a double tap. You'll get used eventually. I have no idea why they did this. Combat would have been much better if dodge was just a separate button. Maybe they ran out of buttons? Wish they would at least let PC players rebind this shit.
Yes that is exactly the problem and my issue with the DLC too. I switched to just using my sword instead of my screw-off hueg hammer and it's way better. I should have noticed, I gain WAY less orange bar (qi?) when I miss deflects with my sword than hammer. I still haven't beaten him but I get pretty reliably close, it's just a matter of time now. Man I love these kinds of games!

EDIT: I beat Lu Bu. I am assuming I fight him again later because there's no way such a legendary figure is limited to an early boss fight. I am now stuck on the boss after him, which is a big retard boss. I am sure I will get him, I only tried a little and got to 2nd phase, but I REALLY hate these effhueg gimmick bosses. I hated them in Nioh and I hate them now.

EDIT 2: Taotie. That's it. I think this is the most infuriating fight I have done in any game, ever. Definitely the worst Team Ninja fight. It's so, so horrible.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
EDIT 2: Taotie. That's it. I think this is the most infuriating fight I have done in any game, ever. Definitely the worst Team Ninja fight. It's so, so horrible.
I still think the house in Nioh 2 is worse.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
Taotie is a pretty shit fight in terms of quality, but it's easy as fuck.

Spike

Educated
Taotie is a pretty shit fight in terms of quality, but it's easy as fuck.
I still think the house in Nioh 2 is worse.
Beat him, just needed to back off and not attack his little feetsies.

I switched to curved sabre + big fat sword (jiancu) after the next mission where you fight Tiger Man and I am LOVING it. It was fun before but the combat is clicking way better now. I betrayed my sword blood and suffered as a result. Never again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom