Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Work in progress - Tavern

Voltare

Liturgist
very nice, vd......what prog you main 'em with? ( i'll toss screens of my project's buildings as only if the mod's let me)

Sisay

Liturgist
A question regarding the items, not sure if it's been answered before: are the items seen on the tables etc part of a static background like in most 3D RPGs or individual, movable "fluff" objects as seen in the Ultima series and to some extent in Geneforge? Not sure if there is a 3D RPG that does that or if it significantly adds to the depth of the game but I do think it adds a lot to the immersion.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Every item is an individual object, because the artist thinks that he's a fucking ... well, artist. So, you can grab everything you see and do something with it. Like put it back or something equally awesome.

Sisay

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Every item is an individual object, because the artist thinks that he's a fucking ... well, artist. So, you can grab everything you see and do something with it. Like put it back or something equally awesome.

Very nice to hear, I was afraid that would be something not in the game partly due to the 2D to 3D transfer. I'm still not convinced it was for the better but I do understand you would like the game to sell outside the Codex too. Can you tell us something about npcs and property, how does the game react to you stealing a 2gp plate from the table should someone notice it? What about walking into people's homes unexpected, does the game react to that?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yes, NPCs got this crazy idea that stealing is kinda wrong, so they may attack you if they feel they got a chance (checking various traits and reputation) or report to guards who may disregard a claim from a poor area, but will thoroughly investigate a claim from a rich area. By "thoroughly investigate" I mean they will kick the shit out of you when they see you and take what you've stolen. By "take what you've stolen" I mean take what they like. Yes, they are not very nice people. Unless, of course, you have built up a nice relationship with them, in which case they will warn you that some rich dick is complaining about something.

It may sound too magical, so here is what happens in the background:

If you failed your sneaking check while an NPC is in the room, the failed check modifies guards' reaction. Each area has its own value that defines the modifier. There are many modifiers, so you'd have a modifier from your profession, reputation, faction, situation/quest, etc. That defines the response.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It would be pretty awesome if being an evil dick actually let you be an evil dick in the game. Not like oh you kill children now you can't go into any town coz the guards'll auto-kill you, but more like being a mafia boss who everyone fears and even the guards will get blind to your chicanery because they don't dare arrest you. Although from what you're saying with the reputation modifiers and stuff I think this is what you're implementing, so if it is... nice.

EDIT: By the way sorry if you've answered this in a previous thread but are guys gonna put in some kind of stronghold / evil lair feature that lets you house followers and loot ?

RGE

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
There are many modifiers, so you'd have a modifier from your profession, reputation, faction, situation/quest, etc. That defines the response.
But will there be enough opportunities to affect those modifiers, or will it be like in Fallout 2 where some areas will almost automatically give a PC doing all the quests a certain reputation? Though I suppose that if every quest takes a stand against one faction (or more) and for another (or more) it'll feel a lot less automatic. As opposed to the usual CRPG quests that just boost reputation since the antagonists aren't part of civilised society and therefore don't matter.

Vault Dweller

Developer
aweigh said:
It would be pretty awesome if being an evil dick actually let you be an evil dick in the game.
You can.

EDIT: By the way sorry if you've answered this in a previous thread but are guys gonna put in some kind of stronghold / evil lair feature that lets you house followers and loot ?
No. No strongholds, however, factions would give you progressivelly better living quarters as you raise in ranks.

RGE said:
But will there be enough opportunities to affect those modifiers, or will it be like in Fallout 2 where some areas will almost automatically give a PC doing all the quests a certain reputation?
Many opportunities. Each quest would change modfiers, so it's possible to play the same area in a completely different way, making new allies and new enemies. If that sounds too generic, I can explain using some examples.

Though I suppose that if every quest takes a stand against one faction (or more) and for another (or more) it'll feel a lot less automatic.
Yep. Basically everything you do, and especially how you do it, affect factions. Even your reputation in one faction will affect the others. It goes something like Faction A likes Faction B (allies), is ok with Faction C, dislikes Faction D, hates Faction E. So, "likes" scores you 1 bonus point for every 5 points with that faction, "dislikes" drops your rep by 1 for every 5, "hates" drops it by 2. So, even if you don't act directly against the Merchants, for example, being well liked by the Thieves would be a reason enough for the Merchants to dislike you, even if you had a positive rep with them before.

callehe

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Yes, NPCs got this crazy idea that stealing is kinda wrong, so they may attack you if they feel they got a chance (checking various traits and reputation) or report to guards who may disregard a claim from a poor area, but will thoroughly investigate a claim from a rich area. By "thoroughly investigate" I mean they will kick the shit out of you when they see you and take what you've stolen. By "take what you've stolen" I mean take what they like. Yes, they are not very nice people. Unless, of course, you have built up a nice relationship with them, in which case they will warn you that some rich dick is complaining about something.

omg that's awsome! really fricking great system. :D

Quigs

Magister
Awesome. If anything, add some cloth paintings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom