Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World Exploration...Yay or Nay, Big or Small

galsiah

Erudite
DamnedRegistrations said:
Something with options I'd actually have to think about, which would vary depending on both the current character and particular situation, and would occur frequently enough to warrant a system instead of one or two scripted events.
Simply having gathering take longer/shorter depending on skills can have gameplay implications (speed of travel etc. - if you can't extrapolate from there, there's no help for you). Having your tracks be harder / easier to follow based on your gathering / hunting skill is also a clear way to create character based gameplay differences. Having different routes/areas make food gathering quicker/more easily concealable/ less tiring... can have many implications. Having strategically located food sources in desert (or similar) environment can create interesting situations.
I'm sorry, but if you can't think of any you're simply not trying.

Also, there's absolutely no need for an "OMG - I'M STARVING!!1!" situation to arrise frequently. All that's necessary is for its potential to be there, and for that to influence gameplay in interesting ways (and importantly, in different ways from conventional-little-bonus-system-X).

My suggestion was to make food an optional but beneficial choice. It would highlight and establish the survival aspect of the gameworld...
A game where food is optional has no "survival" aspect (in terms of this system). Having optional food simply emphasizes the incoherence of the situation.

EDIT:
I gota call bullshit on that. Unless you're promoting further play by injecting the player with heroin it's a given that you're doing it by entertaining.
Steps to enlightenment:
(1) Basic psychology.
(2) MMORPGs

suibhne

Erudite
EvoG said:
Section8 said:
If an RPG automated eating/gathering of food, but integrated it into setting up camp, then suddenly a whole layer of strategy opens up.

Do I spend the time gathering food, or do I spend it brewing potions, standing guard, honing my swordsmanship, getting a good nights sleep, etc. Or even - How long do I set up camp here for? I have a weeks worth of food, and it will take me four days to heal my grievous wounds, but I'm five days from the nearest town...

So here's the question...where's the risk. If you have a weeks worth of food, four days to heal or five days from town, but, you can go get more food, where's the risk unless you anticpate a high random factor of being attacked, making standing guard important. But then at what point does the player lose control due to the random encounters, so he's hard pressed to get enough rest or food to eat, on top of being injured that requires more food and rest to recover from. If you can find a 'safer' place to rest, then this conscious choice more or less eliminates the need to stand guard, so you can take your time fully recovering from wounds and getting all the food you need to that and make it to town.

Wilderness travel should only rarely involve "random" encounters. Put simply, they're total bullshit.

Random encounters might make some sense in dungeons, depending on the context. But seriously, as an avid backpacker and outdoorsman, I'm always laughing my head off at the sheer mass of wolves and woodchucks and whippoorwills that want to slaughter me every time I take a stroll in some computer-generated woods.

Almost without exception, wild animals run like hell even when they're big enough to eviscerate you, and that's exactly how it should be. (Frankly, a gameworld like Gothic 3's or Oblivion's is laughably illogical, if for no other reason than that the human inhabitants are clearly incapable of any sort of co-existence with wild animals larger than rabbits. It would be nearly impossible to hunt, forage, farm, gather water, build roads, or even band together in villages in any gameworld like that.) One of the advantages of the time dilation offered by an abstracted travel interface - whether like the one I've suggested, or the highly abstracted world map in FO or Arcanum - is that you don't need to fill it with a litany of bullshit random animals seeking your death for no good reason in the world. Your game can then focus on the truly interesting encounters - maybe diseased large predators (or the rare large predator that actually hunts you), occasional monsters, and especially other humans or human-like species working against you (or simply antagonistic).

EvoG, the more I think about it, the more I have to strongly disagree with your desire for "open worlds" like Oblivion or Gothic 3. I prefer G3's to Oblivion's, by far, but even G3's world is simultaneously bizarrely compressed (geographically) and ridiculously full (of hostile life). This is a necessary corollary of the "free exploration" approach: there's nothing satisfying for most players about wandering through the forest for 15 minutes without seeing anything except a few squirrels and maybe a deer that promptly runs for its life, but that's much more logical. The point is, computer games have an advantage in being able to compress time for dramatic effect - but the "open world" approach requires time to flow normally throughout the act of exploration, which means that the player has to be presented with a bullshit series of distractions to fill that exploration in a matter that's totally illogical and undermines any credibility in the gameworld. Think about it - this design flaw isn't much different from the unceasing grind in JRPGs.

EvoG

Erudite
suibhne said:
Wilderness travel should only rarely involve "random" encounters. Put simply, they're total bullshit.

Random encounters might make some sense in dungeons, depending on the context. But seriously, as an avid backpacker and outdoorsman, I'm always laughing my head off at the sheer mass of wolves and woodchucks and whippoorwills that want to slaughter me every time I take a stroll in some computer-generated woods.

Oh hell, there should NEVER be random encounters in the conventional sense, I agree. My point was less about that particular concept and more about the idea of standing guard versus resting...if you're resting, there has to be some implement to determine if you're attacked, which is unforunately random on some level, even down to animal placement in the gameworld surrounding the players location. Since he can actively choose to stand guard or rest, that implies theres a distinction to his state, one thats passive and one that is active. At that point the encounter might as well be considered random, as you have no way to really avoid it while resting, or that choice becomes meaningless.

suibhne said:
One of the advantages of the time dilation offered by an abstracted travel interface - whether like the one I've suggested, or the highly abstracted world map in FO or Arcanum - is that you don't need to fill it with a litany of bullshit random animals seeking your death for no good reason in the world. Your game can then focus on the truly interesting encounters - maybe diseased large predators (or the rare large predator that actually hunts you), occasional monsters, and especially other humans or human-like species working against you (or simply antagonistic).

Sure, and again, with a time dilation travel system, I agree. The alternative is simply have the chimpmunks chill just becuase you're walking by their log. :D

galsiah

Erudite
EvoG said:
Remarkable, as I know you know exactly what I was saying
No - I honestly don't.
Many MMORPGs adopt a goal of keeping the player playing, without necessarily entertaining him. Their goal is to hook the player. Whether that happens through enjoyment, or through some OCD character flaw is not important to such a design philosophy.
If you didn't mean that, then great - but what you said implied that it was an end in itself.

You're tone is antagonistic
To be fair, my tone was fine until I called you on something I view as a very bad (or at least useless) idea. From that point your tone in response to me has been as unhelpful as mine to you. (only I've been right :D)

and you do not discuss WITH people but talk through and around people. I've asked you for ideas and wanted to engage you, but you honestly appear to have an agenda
Ok - my tone hasn't been great. I'll do better.
However, this kind of thing is hardly helpful:
There's a reason why food eating in RPG's is not highly regarded...its a chore. Right now, please dont hightlight-quote text-reply to this, as yes, I know you think it can be designed to be fun...I'll never agree though.
That's just putting your head in the sand and saying you'll ignore even reasonable discussion because you've made up your mind already.
How is that a useful mindset?

I don't think it's ever reasonable to say that "Real world concept X can't be used in manner Y to create an entertaining game.". This really is all about context. A blanket "Required food can't be good" attitude is equivalent to a blanket "Required X can't be good", given a simple change of game focus. Requirements certainly can be a useful thing - as I know you're aware. Thinking that this can never be true with food seems odd to me.

You want to talk about this, I love debating actual ideas...
Then please do me the courtesy of doing your best to consider good required-food systems, rather than bashing bad ones and concluding that it can't work. I absolutely agree that it'd be difficult to do well - most effective systems are.

I'm not particularly saying that a positive-only food idea is a terrible idea. Just that IMO it's rather useless (since I think you'd agree the same gameplay could be achieved with potions/drugs/spells etc. etc.), and if anything makes things less coherent.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
galsiah said:
Simply having gathering take longer/shorter depending on skills can have gameplay implications (speed of travel etc. - if you can't extrapolate from there, there's no help for you). Having your tracks be harder / easier to follow based on your gathering / hunting skill is also a clear way to create character based gameplay differences. Having different routes/areas make food gathering quicker/more easily concealable/ less tiring... can have many implications. Having strategically located food sources in desert (or similar) environment can create interesting situations.
I'm sorry, but if you can't think of any you're simply not trying.
(2) MMORPGs

Those are hardly interesting decisions. Why would I care if I travelled through area A or B faster/more easily/stealthily? Because one is better than the other. So I'll choose it. Always. Not interesting at all. I'm assuming the scenario might be something like a forest with plentiful food, slow travel and high stealth vs a mountain pass with shorter travel but less stealth and no food. Obviously the forest is better unless my strength is high enough that the mountain pass is safe. This isn't an interesting choice, it's a no brainer. I don't give a damn how long it takes to get through the forest, and if I did, it'd be because of a deadline I had to meet, which again removes any meaningful option.

By contrast, why would I wander around near to fainting (Which would happen in a hell of a lot less than a week when you do nothing but fight monsters and regenerating your wounds impossibly fast.) looking for food if I have some in hand? Maybe I want to stockpile food for a later stretch of the game. Would I always do that? No. Maybe my luck changed and I'm too far away from what I consider to be a decent food supply to risk not eating. Maybe I found a big pile of extra rations and now I don't mind hanging around killing monsters for loot for a while at the cost of food. There were also longer term impacts from being hungry; your constitution score would be eventually abused if you were constantly hungry as opposed to full. Is that important enough to always stay full? Depends on how much food I have, how quickly I'm going to go through it, and how much food I can likely aquire and when. If I'm a wizard being full is also important so I don't suddenly become too hungry to cast spells during battle. Is it a non option where I'd always be full no matter what? No. Sometimes I'd feel confident enough that I could get away to temporary food even without magic. Other times I'd avoid eating on the off chance I might find a large corpse that grants something I want that I might not manage to eat if I'm not hungry already. These are all interesting choices that will impact your game both immediately and in the long term.

Choosing to have at least one good hunter in my party with high find food stat X so I'm not screwed when travelling is a no brainer. Travelling near food sources you know exist with no meaningful drawbacks is a no brainertoo.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh, and as for MMORPGs, they amount to one of 3 things:

Dungeon hack with friends. Some people like MMORPGs for the gameplay. They tend to offer very long term character development, which some people find satisfying. Thats no more a character flaw than finding roleplaying a diplomat satisying in FO is.

Chat room with a light show. Self explanatory. Probably half the people or more who play MMORPGS leave them if their friends aren't available.

Exploration game. Some people like running around in a large persistant world with more NPCs to blather and more cliffs to jump off than you can shake a stick at. Again, this isn't a character flaw.

Just because you don't like being spanked and called Molly, doesn't mean the guy who does like it isn't being entertained.

galsiah

Erudite
Those are hardly interesting decisions. Why would I care if I travelled through area A or B faster/more easily/stealthily? Because one is better than the other. So I'll choose it. Always. Not interesting at all. I'm assuming the scenario might be something like a forest with plentiful food, slow travel and high stealth vs a mountain pass with shorter travel but less stealth and no food. Obviously the forest is better unless my strength is high enough that the mountain pass is safe. This isn't an interesting choice, it's a no brainer. I don't give a damn how long it takes to get through the forest, and if I did, it'd be because of a deadline I had to meet, which again removes any meaningful option.
Are you seriously incapable of imagining situations between those? Where arriving quickly somewhere is important (not 100% vital) for various reasons; where going one way gives better odds of non-discovery (helping with various plot elements), but is more costly in terms of time/money (hurting with other plot elements indirectly; where one decision might please one faction, but annoy another / help in one quest, make another harder etc..

If you think none of these situations can be interesting, I find it hard to see how you'd consider anything interesting.

Also, in case you missed it from page 1:
I said:
What I'd see working is a system as an integral part of the game - not as an optional extra. This automatically implies that I can't give you a good eating system on its own - it must tie in with all the survival-related elements in the game. If it is merely an optional extra, I'd be against including it at all.
If wide-spread tie-ins with many game areas aren't being considered, I wouldn't advocate an eating system. Basically I am saying - "Do it properly, or not at all."

Taking any one of my ideas and sticking it into previous-RPG-X, or your-conventional-idea of-an-RPG, does not qualify as "doing it properly" - so I wouldn't expect such constructions to be that interesting / worthwhile.

EDIT: I didn't say MMORPGs "can't be entertaining". I said that they (many of them) are designed to hook players without regard for entertainment. The proportion of players actually entertained isn't the issue - the design philosophy is.

In particular, a well designed game should tend to enrich a player's life overall. [think of each game as a mini-game contained within the actual game - i.e. life]. The purpose of a mini-game isn't to keep the player playing that mini-game to the exclusion of all else: it's to increase the entertainment of the game as a whole.
Similarly, the goal of any game (though most relevant to MMOGs) is to enrich the player's life as a whole. If the player loves the game so much that he dies at the controls, that's a failure - not a success.
Look at a mini-game with too narrow a perspective, and you design it badly (based on flawed assumptions). The same applies to (non-mini) games.

EvoG

Erudite
galsiah said:
No - I honestly don't.
Many MMORPGs adopt a goal of keeping the player playing, without necessarily entertaining him. Their goal is to hook the player. Whether that happens through enjoyment, or through some OCD character flaw is not important to such a design philosophy.
If you didn't mean that, then great - but what you said implied that it was an end in itself.

Okay, I'm know you're probably a smart guy, thats not in question, but have you seen the broad majority of what I wrote here, either in this thread or on the codex in general. I ask this with a lot of confidence; do I appear to have anything other than the best interests to game design, my game and to players enjoyment?

galsiah said:
You're tone is antagonistic
To be fair, my tone was fine until I called you on something I view as a very bad (or at least useless) idea. From that point your tone in response to me has been as unhelpful as mine to you. (only I've been right :D)

I know you added a smilie, but can you see why I'm going to see this as terribly arrogant? I mean dare I say, chicken or the egg? There's always a source to everything, and I was not in any way outwardly unhelpful towards you...you may not like that I found you unhelpful initially, you can't fairly turn it around on me.

galsiah said:
That's just putting your head in the sand and saying you'll ignore even reasonable discussion because you've made up your mind already. How is that a useful mindset?

Oh to be perfectly honest, I have made up my mind with all the evidence given, either here, emperically or historically. This is EXACTLY why I'm asking you for more than just "your ideas are wrong". Whats distinct here is I WANT to hear great ideas, and that is a useful mindset, no?

galsiah said:
I don't think it's ever reasonable to say that "Real world concept X can't be used in manner Y to create an entertaining game.". This really is all about context. A blanket "Required food can't be good" attitude is equivalent to a blanket "Required X can't be good", given a simple change of game focus. Requirements certainly can be a useful thing - as I know you're aware. Thinking that this can never be true with food seems odd to me.

galsiah said:
Then please do me the courtesy of doing your best to consider good required-food systems, rather than bashing bad ones and concluding that it can't work. I absolutely agree that it'd be difficult to do well - most effective systems are.

But have you seen how large my posts are. I hoped that would impress upon you exactly how much thought I put into all this stuff. I love games, play everything and want to coolest game I can design, so why would I arbitrarily ignore anything?

Give me some material and I will consider the hell out of it...if it leads to fun gameplay, absolutely...but gameplay has to be first, not just realism for the sake of reality. I'm a huge proponent of abstractions as they can isolate the most compelling parts of the whole and add a lot while avoiding minutiae.

galsiah said:
I'm not particularly saying that a positive-only food idea is a terrible idea. Just that IMO it's rather useless (since I think you'd agree the same gameplay could be achieved with potions/drugs/spells etc. etc.), and if anything makes things less coherent.

Well the idea here, is that you'd gain a bonus of sorts. Potions/Spells/Drugs have established themselves as a convention that is bold and understood; you cast Haste and get a huge increase in speed, but you dont continue to use haste as a regular product of your play...only when you need to be 'faster'. The idea of my pos-only food is that you WILL have to maintain your diet regularly if you want to get the boon. Its free to do, has no adverse effects and the rewards are worth it. That will make you ask "but why do it if you can choose not to?"...and not to sound trite, but because you can. There are all sorts of things in games that are not necessary to do or complete or find. Why gamble when you can go and kill a raider for money? Sure the play is safe and the reward can be great, but if its meaningless really why bother? People might enjoy gambling...they might enjoy the mental stimulation you get from maintaining a schedule where you load the game, check your food levels, get some if you're low, eat and boost your stamina and such, check your ammo reserves, get out your map and begin your virtual day. We are creatures of habit too, and this does not preclude gaming.

Cheers

EvoG

Erudite
galsiah said:
EDIT: I didn't say MMORPGs "can't be entertaining". I said that they (many of them) are designed to hook players without regard for entertainment. The proportion of players actually entertained isn't the issue - the design philosophy is.

This line of thinking is puzzling me. Just because the goal for a company is to make money, how can they if the players aren't entertained? This is the science of 'value' in business; if a product is designed to make players happy, and they enjoy themselves and actively participate in paying for the service, how can you argue that there is no entertainment? I doubt highly that anyone in those design meetings said "we have to make a game that makes us a lot of money, but dont bother with entertainment, just that we can make as much money as possible".

galsiah said:
In particular, a well designed game should tend to enrich a player's life overall. [think of each game as a mini-game contained within the actual game - i.e. life].

Entertainment IS enriching, and it really isnt' your place to decide that a game isn't. If I play a game, and I enjoy it and I'm happy afterwards, thats enriching, and honestly you can't redefine the word. If you want to argue semantics, sure it may not make the person make more money, have greater health or a better relationship with their family, but thats just not the responsibility of something as throw-away as "entertainment".

galsiah said:
If the player loves the game so much that he dies at the controls, that's a failure - not a success.

Sorry, but that is SOLELY that person personal issues. I'd never think you (after todays exchanges) would be one to yell "but think of the children!!". If a person isn't capable of managing their LIVES, that is simply not anyones problem but their own and perhaps their family.

suibhne

Erudite
EvoG said:
galsiah said:

This line of thinking is puzzling me. Just because the goal for a company is to make money, how can they if the players aren't entertained?

Either you're naive, or you're different from me and many other players I know...but honestly tell me, Evo, have you never fallen into a grind? In any game? Ever?

I know a handful of people who've independently (not knowing each other, I mean) botted in WoW. That's a perfect example of what galsiah's talking about: WoW incentivizes the end-state of level progression (and, ultimately, mastery of your chosen class), but it doesn't automatically follow that the means to that end are actually entertaining; if they were, people wouldn't bend over backwards trying to automate them. Those people keep playing the game and paying the monthly fee because they're hooked for reasons other than the minute-to-minute gameplay. I suspect the attraction, after a certain point, lies in a more macroscopic simulational goal of acquiring power in the gameworld (either in personal terms or over other people), or perhaps some of those folks just want to cut to the chase and reach the raid content at the end-game - but either way, it's obvious that the grind isn't entertaining to them even tho the end-state is highly desirable.

Another mass-market example: BF2142. People cheat the ranking system by loading up on Pistol & Knives servers, and why? Presumably, they appreciate the end-state (of exerting power over other players - or even being able to play with the game's complete arsenal of weapons and abilities) much more than the grind of earning ranks and "levelling up" your profile's in-game unlocks. In a game like UT2k4, where the progression of player power depends entirely on personal skill, those people would just be griefers - but in BF2142 they're not necessarily skill-hacking, but rather subverting an artificial grind imposed on them by DICE/EA. Sure, some of those people are griefers, but some of the impetus is clearly because the game's unlock grind isn't entertaining - even tho the end of that grind is prized.

Personally, I've fallen into this same behavior in some JRPGs, most recently Dragon Quest VIII. Levelling up with random encounters is the archetypal "hooked but not entertained" behavior; my goal in those cases was to gain another level for my characters, but I sure as hell wasn't having fun doing it. On the contrary - I made a conscious decision to tolerate the unpleasantness of the grind in exchange for the satisfaction of gaining another level and thereby more power in the gameworld.

None of this should be necessary. Players should never be forced to confront such choices. But that's probably another topic for another time. :wink:

galsiah

Erudite
EvoG said:
I ask this with a lot of confidence; do I appear to have anything other than the best interests to game design, my game and to players enjoyment?
No - but that makes it much worse if you start unconsciously making bad design assumptions. I don't think that you have bad intentions, but I'm sure that you have a few dodgy unconscious beliefs (as I'm sure I do).
In so far as "A good game must aim to keep the player playing" is one of them (and hopefully it isn't), that's not a good thing.

Certainly good games tend to keep the player playing, but that shouldn't be an aim. It's much better to knock the player's socks off with entertainment for a while, then even encourage him to do something else.
Again, it's like a mini-game / game activity - if each activity tries to grab the player and keep him playing for as long as possible, the player only leaves that activity on a downer (e.g. Morrowind). In a game, the ideal situation is to interrupt the player while he's still having a lot of fun, and send him somewhere else - before things get stale. That way he'll be actively wanting to go back to the first activity, rather than bored with it.

When designing a game, there's no way to make the rest of the player's no-doubt pitiful life more interesting. Therefore the ideal situation would be to detect when he's not having so much fun, and positively encourage him to quit. The aim isn't to keep the player playing for as long as possible - rather to give him the most favourable impression of the game.
Putting in positive reinforcement systems which aren't intrinsically entertaining (or are much less interesting/entertaining than most of the game) is likely to keep the player playing when he's having less fun (of course it shouldn't, but people are hostages to their warped psychologies). This is a bad thing. Having the player think "I wasted a day on that drawn-out game" is much worse than having him think "That was one hell of an hour!".

Anyway, perhaps you weren't thinking that in the first place - but some people do, and it's harmful.

I know you added a smilie, but can you see why I'm going to see this as terribly arrogant?
Oh sure - I certainly have arrogant episodes.
you can't fairly turn it around on me.
Not my intention. Just saying that it's not entirely my fault.

Oh to be perfectly honest, I have made up my mind with all the evidence given, either here, emperically or historically.
Ok, but most previous systems (in my very limited experience) have put emphasis on the process of finding food itself (which is almost always dull - occasional hunting aside). That's really not an issue of an eating system - it's simply a dull, choiceless mechanic which requires abstraction.

Then you have the hunger-as-poison comparison. I'd say that usually comes about when the designer has first decided to use an eating system, then decides he needs to make it important - without radically changing the game. The obvious way to do this is to make death-through-hunger faster than makes good sense.
The better solution would be to design the game so that the possibility of running out of food were naturally a frequent consideration. You don't need poison-like fast starvation for this, but you do need an environment (including enemies etc.) which makes starvation/hunger/the-means-of-acquiring-food an issue.

If you don't have many situations where food acquisition has a really significant cost (e.g. time, avoiding detection/pursuit...), then there's no point including such a system. Hunger-as-poison is a problem when a designer wants to include a harsh eating system without giving it the necessary support.

I hoped that would impress upon you exactly how much thought I put into all this stuff.
I don't think the "have-the-player-get-item-X-for-positive-reward" mechanic is a bad idea. I just wouldn't apply it to food. Food in many RPGs is already abstract, simply because it's never mentioned. The assumption is that the character eats, but this just isn't part of the gameplay. Once you put food in the game without requiring the character to eat, you've turned an abstract (non)system into a concrete one which makes little sense.
I'm sure the player can explain things to himself with a "Well - my character doesn't only eat the food I give him, but other stuff too.", but by bringing this kind of explanation to mind, you're inviting the player to critique the game world where usually he wouldn't. Leaving food out invites no thought/criticism from players. Putting it in, in such a way that it half makes sense, is more likely to.
I don't think this is a good thing, and I don't see the upside - when compared with a similar mechanic not based on food.

Again, in a light-hearted dungeon-romp / GTA-type-game, I wouldn't say this is much of an issue. In a TES/Gothic type game, I think it is. It's not something that'll make or break the game, but it is something I'd consider unfortunate.

Give me some material and I will consider the hell out of it...if it leads to fun gameplay, absolutely...but gameplay has to be first, not just realism for the sake of reality.
I'm never for "reality" (i.e. emulation of the real world), but I am for coherence (i.e. the game world - allowing abstractions - making sense within its own system). I don't think it helps to attack coherence on an anti-"realism for the sake of reality" basis - the two concepts are very different.

Also, I'd agree that what's important is a mechanic leads to entertaining gameplay. That doesn't mean it needs to be entertaining in itself - indeed it can be simply annoying (like getting shot / stabbed / clawed). To know whether something will lead to entertaining gameplay, you need to consider the whole game - not simply the mechanic in question.

With an eating mechanic, it can fairly simply lead to:
Incentives to be in some areas over others (low cost food gathering) over others (high cost / no food).
Time requirements (area/skill/method dependent).
Exposure to danger (vulnerability while getting food).
Exposure to discovery (through time spent / environmental disturbance...).
Ability to use all of the above against NPC groups.
[[Possibly: optional manual food gathering (e.g. manual hunting could reduce the time needed for automatic food gathering). This would need careful balance to avoid incentivizing it so that players who don't like it feel compelled to do it.]]

Achieving the above doesn't require any laborious task.
Once you have those effects (and possibly others), you only need to make sure that they're often important. Design many systems with time as a factor, and time requirements become important. Create clear pros/cons of attack, and exposure to danger becomes important. Make subterfuge/surprise/escape central aspects of gameplay, and exposure to discovery becomes important. Have NPCs who travel, then give them a wide variety of motivations, and applying all this to NPCs becomes important.

A "realistic" eating mechanic is very unlikely to be intrinsically interesting, or provide great gameplay in isolation. It's all about how you tie it in. Personally, I believe that it can be tied in very effectively.
Note that in all of the above, the actual process of finding food is almost irrelevant in itself. It's important due to its implications. The player isn't even likely to think "I need to go that way to get food", or "NPC X will go this way because he's hungry". Rather it'll form a natural part of his considerations about NPC actions / his own.
Quite often the player might not consider the mechanic for long periods - and that's fine. A mechanic should stick out where it's interesting, and fade in to the background where it isn't.

The idea of my pos-only food is that you WILL have to maintain your diet regularly if you want to get the boon. Its free to do, has no adverse effects and the rewards are worth it.
I'm not too keen on that as it stands (even ignoring any coherence issues). Where is the interesting decision? Why would anyone choose not to eat? Unless there are good reasons not to eat, you're punishing the player (and absence of a standard reward is punishment) for not continuing with a mundane mechanic.

I'd rather a system where the player chooses PC behaviour once, then he follows that course until the player reconsiders. You could have various food types providing different virtues (preferably in a setting where this made some sense), and give the player the option to choose his "standing-order custom-menu". This way every player gets a bonus without any busy-work; the character is doesn't stop eating merely because the player forgets (so there are fewer coherence issues); and the player can make meaningful, interesting decisions at a time he chooses, by altering his menu. [you could discourage constant menu switching (probably not fun) by having the bonus build up only when you stick to the same for a while; you could encourage occasional switching (hopefully interesting) by having the bonus slowly fade after a long time]

I still think it'd be preferable to do the above using some other conduit (since then you could use food in the afore-mentioned more interesting [IMHO] way). I definitely think it's a mistake to incentivize dull behaviour (i.e. the player actively clicking for each meal).

We are creatures of habit too, and this does not preclude gaming.
Absolutely - but in gaming the designer has the option to get the player into interesting habits, rather than dull, non-decision habits. Why not get the player to habitually think about some interesting and significant issues, rather than habitually click a button?

galsiah

Erudite
EvoG said:
galsiah said:
If the player loves the game so much that he dies at the controls, that's a failure - not a success.

Sorry, but that is SOLELY that person personal issues. I'd never think you (after todays exchanges) would be one to yell "but think of the children!!". If a person isn't capable of managing their LIVES, that is simply not anyones problem but their own and perhaps their family.
I'm not "thinking of the children". This is simply a counter-example:

Q: Is it always a good thing when a game keeps a player playing? (or a "player chooses to keep playing a game", if you prefer)
A: No.

This (admittedly extreme) counter-example simply implies that you can't automatically assume that: Player Keeps Playing == Good Thing.
Once you get away from that automatic assumption, it helps to look at the situations where it's preferable to keep the player playing. Perhaps surprisingly, it's quite frequently not to the player's advantage (people can keep grinding without having much fun), and - by extension - isn't necessarily good for the designer: people will probably (cognitive dissonance aside) prefer games that they've spent a short time really enjoying, than a longer time grinding.

Perhaps it does sometimes make good marketing sense to exploit the average player's cognitive dissonance - i.e. the "Well - if I spent that long playing it, it must have been great, right. Otherwise what does it say about me :?.... That's right - it must have been the best game evar!!11!!!".
Even if that makes marketing sense, it is EVIL [[and will leave the world full of MMORPGs and husks that were once gamers... THINK OF THE GAMERS!!11!!!!]]

EvoG

Erudite
suibhne said:
Either you're naive, or you're different from me and many other players I know...but honestly tell me, Evo, have you never fallen into a grind? In any game? Ever?

Well really now, am I? Am I ignorant about someone ELSES intent? Absolutely.

Either way, I have a perfect example for you that I JUST completed as of 5 mins ago (feel free to check my gamertag on 360 :P):

In Crackdown, there are 500 agility orbs scattered all around the city. I had finished the game a week ago, and have never actually bothered with finding 'hidden packages' of any sort in any other game. Because of the nature of agility orbs, being placed at high points all around the city, and the fact that it is very enjoyable to 'hulk jump' your way to these points, these orbs gave me an excuse to climb around the city. At the same time I have a small goal to accomplish, which is to find them all. This technically a grind, as I was working at finding these orbs just to gain the Achievement. I was compelled to stop at 499 of the 500...I mean fuck, 1 orb!? Massive city!? But because the process was enjoyable, I would tool around and if I found it I found it...great. If you're playing those games but do not enjoy it, and search of an end result that gains you little, frankly thats the players problem, not an inherent problem with the game. Is it an addiction? Sure, but then we're talking about alchohol, smoking, drugs, sex, dangerous driving...I mean really...these are personal issues not exclusive to gaming and not a responsibility of a developer.

galsiah

Erudite
EvoG said:
If you're playing those games but do not enjoy it, and search of an end result that gains you little, frankly thats the players problem, not an inherent problem with the game.
It's both. Anything which will predictably be a problem for a significant number of players, is a design problem.

The important question isn't who is to blame, but rather who can solve the problem:
Can one individual player combat his own problematic tendencies? Probably.
Will every player ever do this for a game that encourages grinding? No.
Can good design solve the problem for everyone? Yes.

not a responsibility of a developer.
It's the responsibility of a developer to do all he can to make the contribution his game makes to player's lives a positive one. This absolutely includes accounting for predictable, statistically significant player failings (whether stupidity / bad eye-sight / dislike of the colour pink / bad temper / sllight OCD / Slight O.C.D / slight O-C-D / slight OCD / or whatever).

suibhne

Erudite
Evo, your example isn't a meaningful rebuttal. You cited an Achievement that only has meaning outside of the game, as a lapel pin attached to your XBox Live ID; I'm talking about game designs which incentivize unpleasant or unentertaining activities within the game as tradeoffs in exchange for a meaningful benefit also within the game (e.g. grinding levels in order to achieve more power within the game or access high-level raid content).

EvoG

Erudite
I wanted to respond more to your post, but I had an epiphany of sorts... :D

...is it perhaps probable that the reason that 'food consumption' in a game can become dull so easily is indicative of nature of the concept? In other words, we shouldn't have to try so hard to make this fun, and I'm really not seeing the point to eating, as the primary conflict here is your own metabolism. Everything else about a game is about external conflict, and they fit well with the narrative (aliens invade earth...to harvest humans for food!) hehe. Maybe eating is just not fun virtually.

Now you did say something that sparked an idea, but its rather singular; there could easily be a side plot of the game where you have to help a people find a consistent source for food. We could even entitle it in the journal, "Give a Man a Fish...". That right there makes the food a solution to a narrative problem, and it could be one of those elements that gives 'survival' in the wasteland notice, but its not all encompassing in the scope of the gameplay. Its suggesting to the player how one would survive by having the player actually help a people learn to survive. Once the player solves this problem, he's effectively 'understanding survival' in the game world as whole; he's indirectly establishing HIS means of survival, but its not touched upon any more.

galsiah said:
I'm not too keen on that as it stands (even ignoring any coherence issues). Where is the interesting decision? Why would anyone choose not to eat? Unless there are good reasons not to eat, you're punishing the player (and absence of a standard reward is punishment) for not continuing with a mundane mechanic.

Well to be honest with you, choosing Armor Piercing ammo versus Standard in System Shock is not the most "interesting" decision, but it has an understood value, and the process by which the player actively chooses to change his ammo is a form of mastery over the game. He spots a mid-wife, and he immediately ducks around a corner, pops in the AP clip and lets fire with increased damage.

Now, you can't twist this around and claim its just another form of punishment, thats silly especially in light of the alternatives. All this does is 'reward' the player that eats by giving him 'bonuses'. You can't just state now that any 'lack' of bonuses in other games is 'punishment' as well because players are not constantly bestowed these bonuses...no they have to earn them, hence the entire reasoning behind positive reinforcment.

To offer an example, imagine ALL characters in most RPG's that never have to worry about eating ever, have a base Damage Resistance of 10 (this is an arbitrary number). They are not 'weaker', they just are at 10. IF they take the time to eat food regularly, that activity itself does take work to find/hunt for the food, whatever, their Damage Resistance goes up to 12 lets say. This is 10+2, not 12-2 when the 'don't eat. This has the player thinking, "hmmm, there was a rabbit, I shot it, cooked it and ate it, and my characters damage resistance went up! Neat!", so they are most definitely going to be inclined to do it. If they dont care about the 2 points more of resistance, then fine, they dont need to go through the trouble of hunting wabbits. Just like in Crackdown in my above example, I didn't HAVE to climb buildings to get agility orbs, as my agent would upgrade his agility in other ways, but I 'wanted' to because it would help him upgrade faster. This was a tangible gameplay choice that I made but wasn't forced into. I appreciated the bonus I gained in agility, so I kept going after them whenever I saw one.

suibhne

Erudite
EvoG said:
Just like in Crackdown in my above example, I didn't HAVE to climb buildings to get agility orbs, as my agent would upgrade his agility in other ways, but I 'wanted' to because it would help him upgrade faster. This was a tangible gameplay choice that I made but wasn't forced into. I appreciated the bonus I gained in agility, so I kept going after them whenever I saw one.

Aha. Well, I clearly misunderstood your example. :wink:

But it still suggests the question - that example isn't quite a rebuttal to required game grinds (or similar mechanisms), since you acknowledge it's entirely optional. The WoW grind or BF2142 unlocks are both mandatory.

EvoG

Erudite
suibhne said:
Evo, your example isn't a meaningful rebuttal. You cited an Achievement that only has meaning outside of the game, as a lapel pin attached to your XBox Live ID; I'm talking about game designs which incentivize unpleasant or unentertaining activities within the game as tradeoffs in exchange for a meaningful benefit also within the game (e.g. grinding levels in order to achieve more power within the game or access high-level raid content).

But it is...I said that:

A) I can't speak for a gamers intent when playing

B) You can't state they dont actually enjoy the grind

We both dont know the whole deal, and I just added that my most recent experience WAS a grind and that I enjoyed it. I've done the unique weapons/armor/items grind in other games, but I enjoyed the combat.

IF the player is playing and isn't enjoying it but does it anyway, thats his choice and not my problem. *shrugs* Not sure what you want me to say to that. People DO enjoy tasks that others may not, and if those that dont STILL do it because they get powerful items that they can use in places or instances that they then DO enjoy, then who cares, they're still getting something out of the grind.

suibhne

Erudite
EvoG said:
IF the player is playing and isn't enjoying it but does it anyway, thats his choice and not my problem. *shrugs* Not sure what you want me to say to that. People DO enjoy tasks that others may not, and if those that dont STILL do it because they get powerful items that they can use in places or instances that they then DO enjoy, then who cares, they're still getting something out of the grind.

See my response above (edited in after you replied). I realize this issue is entirely tangential to the OT, but let's finish it off. :D Basically: I have no problems with grinding as long as it's entirely optional, like the Achievement you describes or the Shooting Gallery in RE4 (which, yes, I successfully mastered...). At that point, tho, such things almost become independent mini-games rather than core gameplay mechanics, so it's a different beast entirely.

EvoG

Erudite
suibhne said:
See my response above (edited in after you replied). I realize this issue is entirely tangential to the OT, but let's finish it off. :D Basically: I have no problems with grinding as long as it's entirely optional, like the Achievement you describes or the Shooting Gallery in RE4 (which, yes, I successfully mastered...). At that point, tho, such things almost become independent mini-games rather than core gameplay mechanics, so it's a different beast entirely.

Well shit, "mastered" the shooting gallery? Damn, I didnt' care to do that and I love RE4. :D

Now, if you're forced to grind to progress the story, and it isn't fun to 'do' whatever it is you're doing, thats a problem and I agree. But if players still want to do it because they do want to progress the story, really isn't that their choice? A grind, in its negative connotation implies that it isn't fun and is just work, but that has to be up to the player playing. If the player likes the combat and has to do a lot of it, some may see it as a grind but really, its not to that player.

You're right though, not really a good OT discussion to get in to. :D

galsiah

Erudite
EvoG said:
In other words, we shouldn't have to try so hard to make this fun
I agree - I don't think eating itself will ever be particularly interesting. The interest is in its implications. (in a sense, combat is about metabolism too - it's just that there are bullets/knives/claws threatening to disturb it; a harsh, hunger-inducing environment is external too, and can be just as dangerous - the tricky part is making it interesting)

Now you did say something that sparked an idea, but its rather singular; there could easily be a side plot of the game where you have to help a people find a consistent source for food.
I quite like this - it's one of my standard "wouldn't emergent needs-based quests be great!?" lines. Indeed, if an eating system applied to NPCs too, this a "food-supply" task wouldn't be a one-off quest, but rather a general issue in many areas - with visible consequences where the problem persisted.
Of course this kind of system would be an implementation nightmare, but I like to dream.

I think it's a decent idea for a scripted quest too though. (just not quite so inspiring :))

...because players are not constantly bestowed these bonuses...no they have to earn them, hence the entire reasoning behind positive reinforcment.
Fair enough - I was assuming food would be abundant for some reason. I'm still not keen on this, then, but only in a "Why use food?" sense.

If they take the time to eat food regularly, that activity itself does take work to find/hunt for the food, whatever, their Damage Resistance goes up to 12 lets say.
Only a good idea if the hunt for food leads to interesting gameplay. If it's a dull means-to-an-end grind, I think it's a mistake to incentivize it.

If they dont care about the 2 points more of resistance, then fine, they dont need to go through the trouble of hunting wabbits.
That's fine, so long as either rabbit hunting is fun for pretty much everyone, or there are other ways to achieve similarly influential bonuses. If the 2 points of DR is the only significant bonus available, you're effectively forcing players who find the game challenging to take advantage of that bonus. That's fine - but only if the process of rabbit hunting is entertaining.
If it isn't entertaining, and your game is balanced so that many players do it for the bonus (whether or not they technically need to), that's bad design.

I didn't HAVE to climb buildings to get agility orbs, as my agent would upgrade his agility in other ways, but I 'wanted' to because it would help him upgrade faster.
And that's ok only when the process of climbing around buildings is entertaining. Otherwise you're incentivizing non-entertaining behaviour. Whether you like it or not, if you reward players for stuff, many of them will do it - even if it isn't fun. It's your responsibility to make sure that it is.

This was a tangible gameplay choice that I made but wasn't forced into.
Game design doesn't need to force unentertaining options, in order to be bad - it simply needs to incentivize them to the point where players will take them. If a significant amount of players are engaging in time-consuming, non-entertaining activities, then your game design is bad.
A game is as good as what it does for its players. If it leads to their not being entertained for long periods, then that's bad game design - even when you can legitimately blame the players.

If the player is playing and isn't enjoying it but does it anyway, thats his choice and not my problem.
No - it's his choice AND your problem.
People not enjoying your game is your problem - end of story. It gets you lower review scores, lower sales, does less good for the world etc.: this is BAD, no matter who is to blame.

Where design changes could remedy these problems (even when it's the player's fault too), your design is flawed.
Where these flaws could be fairly simply corrected without introducing more serious problems, your design sucks.

Once you fix a target audience, you are working with the players: their problems are yours. Where these issues predictably affect many (or all) players (e.g. variation in attention span, memory, intelligence, reading ability, reaction time, grinding tendencies, aesthetic likes...), it's your job to take them into account.

From a design perspective, it's entirely irrelevant whether or not the "problems" are the fault of the player: once anything is a problem for many players, it's YOUR problem (but still theirs too). You're on the same team.

[[And if you doubt that many players grind when it isn't fun for them, I can tell you that I certainly do - particularly in an RPG. Bear in mind that to roleplay means to act as the character you are playing would act. If I'm playing a pragmatic, cowardly rogue, you can bet I'll be taking advantage of every low-down trick in the book I can find. In an RPG, pragmatism and "power-gaming" are effectively one and the same. If you don't support them by making pragmatism both entertaining, and coherent, I for one won't be having fun - but I'll usually be grinding - since that's what my character would do.

Asking someone who's payed for your RPG to act not as their character would, but instead to maximize their own entertainment, is asking them never to become immersed in the role. That is perverse design for an RPG. I'm certainly not alone in thinking that this sucks.]]

EvoG

Erudite
galsiah said:
I quite like this - it's one of my standard "wouldn't emergent needs-based quests be great!?" lines. Indeed, if an eating system applied to NPCs too, this a "food-supply" task wouldn't be a one-off quest, but rather a general issue in many areas - with visible consequences where the problem persisted.
Of course this kind of system would be an implementation nightmare, but I like to dream.

Wow, considering the odds I thought we were at hours ago, this is something to applaud. You can't begin to imagine the depths of the stuff I've desiged around emergent, procedural play with the goal to completely remove scripted events (or as best as can be done). I'm a huge proponent of having such an organic system that its more about applying the systems and the gameplay rather than following a script. Marvelous.

galsiah said:
Only a good idea if the hunt for food leads to interesting gameplay. If it's a dull means-to-an-end grind, I think it's a mistake to incentivize it.

That's fine, so long as either rabbit hunting is fun for pretty much everyone...(snip)...That's fine - but only if the process of rabbit hunting is entertaining.
If it isn't entertaining, and your game is balanced so that many players do it for the bonus (whether or not they technically need to), that's bad design.

...And that's ok only when the process of climbing around buildings is entertaining. Otherwise you're incentivizing non-entertaining behaviour. Whether you like it or not, if you reward players for stuff, many of them will do it - even if it isn't fun. It's your responsibility to make sure that it is.

Game design doesn't need to force unentertaining options, in order to be bad - it simply needs to incentivize them to the point where players will take them. If a significant amount of players are engaging in time-consuming, non-entertaining activities, then your game design is bad.
A game is as good as what it does for its players. If it leads to their not being entertained for long periods, then that's bad game design - even when you can legitimately blame the players.

Everything I'm talking about involved any activity being 'entertaining' to the player. As I told my old, pain in the ass friend DU, this really doesn't need to be said as the intent of any game developer is to create an 'entertaining' experience.

galsiah said:
No - it's his choice AND your problem.
People not enjoying your game is your problem - end of story. It gets you lower review scores, lower sales, does less good for the world etc.: this is BAD, no matter who is to blame.

Well, I wasn't referring to my game, just their issues with addiction and how they choose to spend their time. I dont want to talk about grinding any further, but trust me when I say I'm not a fan of it in the vernacular meaning of the term(unlike in dancing, which I like :D)

galsiah said:
...payed...

You "paid" for the game....

The sailor "payed" out the rope...

Sorry about the grammar nazi, this word just drives me nuts. :D

Hazelnut

Erudite
suibhne said:
EvoG, the more I think about it, the more I have to strongly disagree with your desire for "open worlds" like Oblivion or Gothic 3. I prefer G3's to Oblivion's, by far, but even G3's world is simultaneously bizarrely compressed (geographically) and ridiculously full (of hostile life). This is a necessary corollary of the "free exploration" approach: there's nothing satisfying for most players about wandering through the forest for 15 minutes without seeing anything except a few squirrels and maybe a deer that promptly runs for its life, but that's much more logical. The point is, computer games have an advantage in being able to compress time for dramatic effect - but the "open world" approach requires time to flow normally throughout the act of exploration, which means that the player has to be presented with a bullshit series of distractions to fill that exploration in a matter that's totally illogical and undermines any credibility in the gameworld. Think about it - this design flaw isn't much different from the unceasing grind in JRPGs.

Time doesn't flow normally in any open world game that I've plaid (gotta keep up with Gal... :P) - it's accelerated. The aim is to compensate for the compressed distances between geographical features I believe. I dislike it and favor free exploration with fast travel (on a map) done in a coherent and consistent manner. I'll freely admit I've given this design almost no thought whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom