Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst lines in a Bioware game?

If that line was uttered by a dragon in a modern bioware game, it wouldn't be simply lulsy. The codex would be ransacking Taluntain's house for the gold bricks required by the lithuanian hitmen.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"If that line was uttered by a dragon in a modern bioware game, it wouldn't be simply lulsy. The codex would be ransacking Taluntain's house for the gold bricks required by the lithuanian hitmen."

Exactly whyn I'm so 'butthurt' over the 'comment' in what was otherwise a pretty nice nostalgic thread. :)

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lesifoere said:
I'll take "fuck this shit, let's move on" (yes, medieval people swore; yes, they used the word "fuck") over a hack writer trying too hard with thee/thou/'tis any day.

This is quite correct, and I totally concur. It would still add ore realism and credibility to a game than the faux-medieval, faux-Old-English bullshit.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't truck with demons
Has to be the worst line ever.

I'm not well versed in biowarian fail-lore, but come on, this thing plumbs the abyssal depths even neobethesda rarely reaches, I can't imagine anything more cringe-worthy.

Clockwork Knight said:
SCO said:
Clockwork Knight said:
tbh the meme is still in usage. Same for DA1's "EPIC FAIL" (shouted by a guy in the background, talking about Howe's plans)

Oh man oh man. This is like a Darwin prize for a writer.

It's a minor npc on the background, I think it was talked about in a thread here, even.
It actually reminded me of subtle, well integrated meme-based easter eggs of Divinity 2 and Witcher.

I am therefore in a smug mood.
:smug:

felipepe said:
I'm BR and I don't go "ahauhaudlsuhdukasn, soccer, caipirinha, beach, carnaval, Pelé!" every second...
But do you go "HUEHUEHUE" when you're laughing?

mondblut

Arcane
The worst line in a Bioware game is "You must gather your party before venturing forth". The rest are too immediately forgettable to have a chance to compete.

TripJack

Hedonist
RK47 said:
ME0066.jpg

ME0067.jpg

ME0068.jpg

ME0069.jpg
:hmmm:

Vibalist said:
ImmoralMechanic said:
Vibalist said:
Edit: "I don't truck with demons" is a fucking ace example of this.

"Have no truck with", meaning "have no commerce/dealings with" goes back to C13th.

http://www.word-origins.com/definition/truck.html

(assuming you meant it as an example of a jarring modernism)

Well, I did. I guess you have a point here, but I still somehow doubt the Bioware writers had any idea that the word "truck" is an old word.

I'm pretty sure they did. I can't find a quote or vid right know, but IIRC Morrigan specifically said she would have "no truck with demons", fitting the old sense exactly, and meaning it was just another example of writers giving her faux olde-english speech. Their writers have problems, but I doubt they'd be ignorant of an english idiom that is still in regular use.

-----------

Anyways, my major groan-worthy writing moment in a Bioware game (excluding the romances) was the final reaper base climax story payoff in ME2.

Mass Effect had done reasonably well with their science phlebotinum, looks like they ran the physics stuff past someone who at least knows more physics than me (not that hard), and the biology was OK too.

(Excluding the obvious fanservice inclusion of hot blue space babes that need to mate with the PC's species to maintain their genetic diversity. I'm pretty sure this implies the optimal reproductive strategy for Asari pre-spaceflight would have been to mate with whichever native animals on their world were most genetically different from them.)

Then suddenly we learn at the end of ME2 the Reapers are capturing humans to extract their "essence", which is somehow [maybe] the same as their DNA, and then that essence somehow magically makes a human skeleton shaped thing when you glom it all together.

Because of course DNA magically contains the essence of a creature, completely irrespective of the complicated cellular machinery for interpreting it and using the proteins it specifies.

Or perhaps humans are like sponges, and Yeoman Kelly's undifferentiated cellular goop will miraculously reassemble into a big person shaped thing when you mix it all up with everyone elses'.

Plus it looked ridiculous. But that was probably the designers' fault.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom