Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worst RPG discussion ever!

Korgan

Arbiter
http://forums.encyclopediadramatica.com ... php?t=1137
WRPG's are superior in almost every way. The Diablo series, The Elder Scrolls series, and everything that Bioware has made nearly trumps all JRPG's alone.
japs have always done it better. this is a stupid post

Chrono Trigger > all.
Everything you'd expect from Encyclopedia Fucking Dramatica Forums, and then some.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I actually like 2 things about Chrono Trigger - it makes the end boss available the whole (?) game - it at least tries to have alternative endings.

Do you know any western rpg that doesn't have a end boss? Examples outside the rpg genre are obvious. I'm thinking of Jagged Alliance 2 myself, though that is borderline, there are others where the challenge is the level itself, but an actual rpg where there is no (optional or not) combat against a iconic enemy in the endgame?

Bobtheblob

Novice
Do you know any western rpg that doesn't have a end boss?

In fact, several. Ultima 4-6 come to mind at the top of the pile. Arguably M&M 3,4-5 and Ultima 7 never had an end-boss, a nemesis yes, but no actual boss/boss fight.

bhlaab

Erudite
Dude some guys on the American Fern Association message boards are saying planescape torment has a worse story than final fantasy 8

Kavax

Scholar
Bobtheblob said:
Do you know any western rpg that doesn't have a end boss?

In fact, several. Ultima 4-6 come to mind at the top of the pile. Arguably M&M 3,4-5 and Ultima 7 never had an end-boss, a nemesis yes, but no actual boss/boss fight.

Also, Daggerfall, and the Quest for Glory games if you count them (Except for the last one.) you defeated the big bad guy by the means of a puzzle, not a direct fight.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've never played daggerfall. But lets amend the question. No (final - i'm not asking no combat) boss, no nemesis being defeated (at the end game - before the end game "dungeon" or "sequence" - is fine). Ultima IV yes. Anything else? Basically does the climax always have to be a us/me versus it/them/he/she. Can't it be against a thing? Or something.

mondblut

Arcane
SCO said:
Do you know any western rpg that doesn't have a end boss? Examples outside the rpg genre are obvious. I'm thinking of Jagged Alliance 2 myself, though that is borderline, there are others where the challenge is the level itself, but an actual rpg where there is no (optional or not) combat against a iconic enemy in the endgame?

Like you don't have to finish off Deidranna in JA2. She's pretty pathetic though, despite a rocket rifle, but a boss nonetheless.

Bobtheblob said:

Lord Xeen in MM4. In 5, yes, you don't fight Alamar, just trigger a scene.

Karinger

Novice
I agree with the OP there. WRPG's definately took over with GTA3. It streamlined the genre, getting rid of useless stat spreadsheets and ridiculous concepts like xp in favour of fun gameplay in the form of action and C&C. Sandbox = infinate choices with consequences, kill stuff and the cops'll get ya!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Karinger said:
I agree with the OP there. WRPG's definately took over with GTA3. It streamlined the genre, getting rid of useless stat spreadsheets and ridiculous concepts like xp in favour of fun gameplay in the form of action and C&C. Sandbox = infinate choices with consequences, kill stuff and the cops'll get ya!

Who's alt is this?

And you can fight the final boss of Chrono Trigger for probably about 80% of the game, but you have to either be fucking insane or on a new game+ to try; without having access to endgame equipment, he'll basically kill you in one round because of the way the combat mechanics work.

It's still a really fun game, for a jrpg. But I really probably only like it so much because of the nostalgia factor.

Karinger

Novice
Xor said:
Who's alt is this?

I'm a lurker who decided to register because I can't get sleep because I drank coffee which I usually don't do so it keeps me awake. Nice to meet you.

I wasn't being serious btw. Just wondering what the hell that guy meant with the GTA3 comment. Don't actually recall Rockstar advertising their game as a groundbreaking RPG epic.

Chrono trigger is pretty fun as far as jrpg's go. Enemies visible on the map is better than random battles. Grinding was also pretty unnecessary IIRC. And the stuff others said.

ever

Scholar
FF3 and Chrono Trigger were the best of the best of the JRPGs. Chrono Trigger, if I recall correctly had some crpg elements but not to any meaningful extent. Both were very interesting and engaging games.

giantgnome

Scholar
FF 6 and Chrono Trigger are probably the best that jrpgs have to offer. At least from what I remember, growing up on them. A lot of it probably is nostalgia but the multiple endings and ability to continue on without your main character after he's incinerated is p cool.

Marsal said:
Faggot. I believe you just insulted a mod. That's like slapping a fucking bear.
:lol:

lol @ the shit people submit themselves to

DraQ said:
I haven't even seen Chrono Trigger, but it has one huge redeeming quality - it inspired Tom Hall who openly fapped to it, to make Anachronox.

If you're willing to fanwank over the theories, the time travel gets interesting. If only for how it goes during the game - starts with "you killed your grandma so you just ceased to exist, lol" to "two of 'you' can't exist at the same space-time, so when you came to this era, your other you 'you' got thrown to another period and eventually became what you are now. Also, discarded timelines".

Chrono Trigger is pretty good fun; no grinding, too. I believe I got all the endings. Lost interest in FF6 after Kefka fucks up the world because my save got corrupted. Read the Paladin Quest LP at SA and thought about playing it somtime, art style reminds me of Earthbound for some reason.

FF4 is cool if only for the lulsy deaths that still make me feel sorry for the characters (also, most don't die for real)

Bobtheblob

Novice
Lord Xeen in MM4. In 5, yes, you don't fight Alamar, just trigger a scene.

I knew I should have clarified this, by 4-5 I was thinking of the joint ending for World of Xeen, counting both Xeen and Alamar as end bosses under the original posters meaning.

I've never played daggerfall. But lets amend the question. No (final - i'm not asking no combat) boss, no nemesis being defeated (at the end game - before the end game "dungeon" or "sequence" - is fine). Ultima IV yes. Anything else? Basically does the climax always have to be a us/me versus it/them/he/she. Can't it be against a thing? Or something.

Ultima 6 and MM4-MM5 - World of Xeen in addition to the aforementioned Ultima IV still fit the moved goalpost. These are games where you make a big thing happen but don't have to interact with a big thing to do so. EDIT: Also, add Wizardry 4 to the list, in fact there is no combat on the final level.

Chrono Trigger is a JRPG like no other, about the only one I ever played that I liked. Well that and Phantasy Star 2 but that could be total nostalgia as the first 16-bit game I ever played.

giantgnome said:
FF 6 and Chrono Trigger are probably the best that jrpgs have to offer. At least from what I remember, growing up on them.

Good thing this fact could not possibly affect your - or anyone else's - judgment in any meaningful way!

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
DraQ said:
I haven't even seen Chrono Trigger, but it has one huge redeeming quality - it inspired Tom Hall who openly fapped to it, to make Anachronox.

If you're willing to fanwank over the theories, the time travel gets interesting. If only for how it goes during the game - starts with "you killed your grandma so you just ceased to exist, lol" to "two of 'you' can't exist at the same space-time, so when you came to this era, your other you 'you' got thrown to another period and eventually became what you are now. Also, discarded timelines".
Time travel is messy and risky plot device:
At best it turns out totally awesome.
At worst it makes the player go FFFFFUUUUU-, quit, uninstall and throw the disks at the wall.
As player's intelligence, knowledge and interest in the subject increase, the probability of the latter scenario approaches one (amusingly enough the probability also rises sharply as those parameters approach zero - dumb players are likely to experience frustration when confronted with a plot they can't comprehend).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom