Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Would you like to work with Jason Anderson...

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shagnak said:
Then I demand you go and fix this page. The integrity of lazy journalists are dependent on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_D._Anderson
(it uses The Escapist as a reference, possibly part of the problem :wink:)

The Escapist says "And Anderson is in Phoenix with his significant other, selling real estate, though he's "getting the itch to return" to games."

Which is correct as the sentence doesn't state he was the one selling real estate. He'd often work on the houses which Sharon would sell. Here's what he told us he'd been doing between Troika and now.

10 years in the game industry is a good haul, and it was time for a little break. I spent about 6 months rehabbing an old house - I had forgotten how hard construction was, but it felt great to do physical labor again. (Game development is bad for the physique.) And I just completed a project where I designed and built my own swimming pool and spa - a lot of hard work, but very rewarding, especially when you live in Phoenix. I've also kept busy designing curriculum and spending time educating my children, which is a reward in itself.

Handyman and stay-at-home dad.

I'm not going to fix it, I never bother fixing up wiki entries.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Oh I believe you, so need to explain, however...
Brother None said:
The Escapist says "And Anderson is in Phoenix with his significant other, selling real estate, though he's "getting the itch to return" to games."

Which is correct as the sentence doesn't state he was the one selling real estate.
It is not unequivocal about who is selling the real estate, yes. But the way the sentence is currently structured implies it is him that is doing the selling, at least in the natural English used where I live.
Supplanting it with "who is selling real estate" would make it clearer that it is his wife and not the primary subject of the sentence. Also, making the commas group it like so: " And Anderson is in Phoenix, with his significant other selling real estate, though...". But even though that groups the participants correctly it is a clumsy turn of phrase.

Whatever. One obviously cannot expect The Escapist to be clear about things, especially given recent transgressions.

Just wondering, and aside from the fact that you don't want to go around fixing every piffling inaccuracy about Fallout/Troika/whatever - in general do dodgy sites like The Escapist get given more credence than more accurate sites like NMA when it comes to this subject matter? If so, it's a shame.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Shagnak said:
It is not unequivocal about who is selling the real estate, yes. But the way the sentence is currently structured implies it is him that is doing the selling, at least in the natural English used where I live.
Supplanting it with "who is selling real estate" would make it clearer that it is his wife and not the primary subject of the sentence. Also, making the commas group it like so: " And Anderson is in Phoenix, with his significant other selling real estate, though...". But even though that groups the participants correctly it is a clumsy turn of phrase.

Yeah, well, I can't help the Escapist writing.

Note I never asked Anderson if during the past few years he worked in selling real estate at any point in any form. All I know is he spent most of his time as a stay-at-home dad and being a handy-man. Considering how reluctant Anderson is to talk, it's quite possible the Escapist (or, for that matter, I) simply didn't get clear information on this, which is no fault of theirs.

Shagnak said:
Just wondering, and aside from the fact that you don't want to go around fixing every piffling inaccuracy about Fallout/Troika/whatever - in general do dodgy sites like The Escapist get given more credence than more accurate sites like NMA when it comes to this subject matter? If so, it's a shame.

I don't know.

NMA is old enough and has held strict standards for itself long enough that most people know and trust it as a credible source, no matter the recent bout of attempts to discredit us. I can remember when I got the scoop on the Interplay court case and the amount of money they were sued for, which was previously unknown, I published it and noted that on investor forums people were discussing us as a credible source and they considered it pretty much 100% likely that we were speaking the truth and fully informed. If people will trust you when their money is involved, you should be pretty reliable.

GameSpot has been using us as the source of Fallout info for ages, with proper links given (we used to have a good line back to Tor Thorson, who's pretty good people, but we kinda lost contact now. People in general like us less since Bethesda bought Fallout, go figure)

But if I had to take a wild guess, gaming media tends to give less credence to fansites than professional journalist sites, like the Escapist. And while in this case that might not make sense, I do think that's actually a good policy, in general

Araanor

Liturgist
Brother None said:
As for all the "what will he pay 'em with", it is already more or less confirmed that Herve got 1 million out of a European investor and has other investors interested. His immediate debts are mostly paid off, and while he does not have an office at the moment, he's got dough.
What? That's just horrible. I'm more inclined to think he just cashed in all those souls of Interplay employees to satan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom