Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you pay for special features / no ads?

Would you help support the Codex by paying for "features"?

• I'd support the option of paying a once-off $10 if it meant I didn't see any ads.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd support options for a once-off payment for a custom avatar and / or title.

• I'd support options of once-off payments for all of the above (ad-free and avatar / title).

• Once off payments? Forget that, make it an annual recurring fee!

• This is a dumb idea. You're not getting a cent from me.

• Total voters

LlamaGod

Cipher
Vultok said:
I third google ads. I might actually click some of them, and it's always fun to see what crazy shit they think you'll buy based on the rest of the site.

The site was getting around like 3 cents a day from Google Ads. It ain't paying the bills.

Section8

Cipher
Let's all "click the fart button because we know we want to." Farts are funny. hyuk hyuk.

You know what else is funny?

gal.jpg
regis%20and%20carrot%20top.jpg

Prop comedy.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Taluntain said:
Gaming sites get crappy Google ads that pay in vicinity of 5 cents per click. At 1-5 clicks per day average around here, you do the math.
5 cents per click.
5 clicks per day.
5 x $0.05 = $0.25 per day.
365 days per year.
$0.25 x 365 = $91.25 USD

That's a copy of Oblivion for the Xbox right there.

Are these Eve Online ads paying more than that?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nope, you ain't getting a cent from me.

Seriously though, this is a small site that offers a somewhat interesting forum and a news section that is mostly ripped from rpgdot. A fun diversion, but not something worth my hard earned money. Face it, this is a small niche grognard kinda site that attracts few staying visitors, not some big gameing site like gamespot or gamespy. Nothing wrong with that, it's actually what I like about it, but don't get too cocky.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I said 1-5 clicks... the mean there would be about 2-3, considering there were plenty of days with not a single click as well. At that rate, the EVE ads might do better in the long run, provided some people actually sign up. But they need to be given a few weeks to see... In any event, Google ads are always my last resort, but really last.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
so that's a no on pursuing alternative fund raising methods? (t shirts, mug, mouse pads + bake sales/fund drives?)

talun, how much does it cost to run the codex in a year?

Sarvis

Erudite
Killzig said:
so that's a no on pursuing alternative fund raising methods? (t shirts, mug, mouse pads + bake sales/fund drives?)

talun, how much does it cost to run the codex in a year?

Honestly selling things seems to make more sense. I think most people are more likely to buy something than just give you money to block ads when they can download free software which does the same.

That said, maybe you should focus instead of garnering a larger audience? You've got maybe 20 regulars around here, but we're all dicks so a lot of new people don't want to stick around. (I introduced a friend of mine to the forum a while back and after 3 days he decided you were all too retarded to deal with and left.)

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
so the answer would be to come up with a business plan?

Start developing some products we can produce, on demand and at a low cost. Also start thinking about branching out and bringing in more users (maybe web ads or merciless spamming by your minions.) I agree with the guy up thread that said a lot of times you guys are just regurgitating RPGDot shit just angsty-like. More unique content plz.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ave, what's your problem? If you have something to say, say it. If you feel that I mistreated someone, explain how, but stop dropping one-liners and silly flames.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Sarvis said:
You've got maybe 20 regulars around here, but we're all dicks so a lot of new people don't want to stick around. (I introduced a friend of mine to the forum a while back and after 3 days he decided you were all too retarded to deal with and left.)
Heh.

I've introduced several people to this place and only one bothered posting. The rest detected our retard-level without even having to post. :lol:

The one that did post did so with startling regularity, until that whole Guild Wars thang. On the discovery of the MMO world he moved onto a different plane of existence, where the retards type shorter, use lots of slang, and flirting has a quicker turn-around. He seems happy enough.

Avé

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Ave, what's your problem? If you have something to say, say it. If you feel that I mistreated someone, explain how, but stop dropping one-liners and silly flames.
What the fuck? Read what I wrote, it's pretty obvious.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Avè said:
Vault Dweller said:
What the fuck? Read what I wrote, it's pretty obvious.
Not, it's not. I said that the guy posted an Ad, and he did. The only difference is why. I thought he did it to promote the game, turned out he did it to troll. Now, what's your point?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom