Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you pay money to reload your gun?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Old video, but I thought I would share it anyways.

Quote from the video description:
This is a portion of a speech EA CEO John Riccitiello gave at a stockholder's meeting, in which he talks about Microtransactions and how effective they are in getting money from gamers.

For comedic effect, I've added the Emperor's Theme from Star Wars to his talk... it seems appropriate, as EA Bioware is developing the new Star Wars MMORPG (hopefully microtransaction free!)

riccitiello_ea_pachter_580.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
No, but I'd pay for each time I touch my foreskin while beating off to my party member NPCs.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
He says this is a better future for the industry. Is he implying "the industry" could start relying completely microtransactions somehow?

Anyway, stupid questions aside why is this video have so many dislikes

Black

Arcane
Compared to this guy, Kotick is nothing but a jolly Santa.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
I doubt he is literally thinking of charging to reload guns. He's using a very easy to understand example to illustrate the idea of microtransactions to stockholders (i.e. people whose gaming knowledge is Pacman-level at most).

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Should I feel amused, sad, or angry about that video?

I don't what is the proper response.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I have mixed feelings about ambiguity, but you shouldn't consider that to be my final say on the matter.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Morally, this sort of thinking and practice disgusts me. It's not just about microtransactions, it's about actively engineering games with feedback loops which exist specifically to encourage microtransactions. Fun and enjoyment isn't the primary concern of the game's design - it's getting players to feel motivated to pay money.

From a business perspective, if people are willing to pay, why deny them that? I don't think I'd ever want to make games that are built around manipulating people so crassly, but better items, aesthetic DLCs, etc.? Sure, if they don't damage the core gameplay.

Emily

Arcane
when people just stop being retards on mass, things will change.. Until then, enjoy ur 10 dlc pack, 4 dlc NPC pack, and 3 dlc Wep amo pack, and fuck you if u dont like it, cause there are plenty of others who do : D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom