Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would You Play Turn-Based Strategy on a Console?

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Article ]</strong>

<p>Normally, I share the opinion around here that <em>consoles is the Devil</em>. Sometimes, however, there are games that make me question this and put the crazy idea in my head that some console games are actually worth playing. Interesting turn-based tactical titles on the GBA like <a href="http://rebelstar.namco.com/" title="Rebelstar">Rebelstar Tactical Command</a> and <a href="http://www.atlus.com/toa/toa_gameplay.html" title="TO">Tactics Ogre</a> have drawn me in despite my misgivings. And a new crop of portable turn-based strategy games on the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP have recently been teasing me with their probable non-suckitude.</p><p>For example, there's CDV's Panzer Tactics DS. Gamespy just posted a hands-on <a href="http://gba.gamespy.com/nintendo-ds/codename-panzers/718306p1.html" title="Panzer Tactics DS Preview">preview</a> of this turn-based WWII strategy game on the DS.</p><blockquote><p> Like most of the famous PC war games, Panzer Tactics DS employs the classic hex-based battlefield system. There are 12 types of terrain with varying effects and attributes, as well as an active weather system. (A three-day forecast can help give you an idea of what's coming up, but of course the weatherman doesn't always get things right.) Details like terrain and weather will play no small part in how you deploy your units. Planes, for example, can't do much of anything during inclement weather, and water turns an infantry unit's march into more of a slog. </p></blockquote><p>So far so good. The DS will also have a port of one of my favorite fantasy strategy titles, Disciples 2. Check out a few screens in <a href="http://ppcstudios.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=715&sid=dfd2e3c3501ff125ac02cbc130cb8425" title="Disciples 2 DS">this thread</a>. On one hand, it's nothing groundbreaking. On the other, it's a goddamn Disciples game.</p><p>One of these promising games has already been released on the PSP. <a href="http://fieldcommander.station.sony.com/" title="FC">Field Commander</a> takes the Advance Wars formula in a less anime-inspired and more western direction. Which is a good thing. Next Generation has a review post mortem <a href="http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3387&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=0" title="FC post mortem">article</a> where the FC developers comment on the reviews.</p><blockquote><p>"...if you've already played a lot of Advance Wars, there's not much new here." -- GameSpy, 4/5

Worley: Those comments are better than they sound. We are being compared directly to one of the best turn-based strategy titles made on the portable market. Our goal was to offer an experience on the PSP that isn&rsquo;t available. We wanted to step into the market with a solid offering that we could be proud of, we feel that we hit the mark and look forward to the future. </p></blockquote>So if you're still reading this and not totally disgusted with me for talking about console games, where do you stand? Would you play a console turn-based strategy game? Are there any that have been calling to you in the middle of the night to betray your PC snobbery?

Araanor

Liturgist
I'd play it. But then, I don't revile console games. The touchpad on the DS makes it an interesting device for strategy games; consoles usually lack something comparable to the mouse in functionality.

I wonder how that Europa Universalis 2 DS port is going...

LlamaGod

Cipher
I hate how everyone seems to think Advance Wars came up with the 'simplistic wargame' game type.

Also: There is a Jagged Alliance DS in the works. There's also a turn-based Age of Empires game, where you use single units instead of a ton of them.

kris

Arcane
Turnbased at least work better than real time as the lack of stress make up for quirky controls. The problem is really how the console crowd want it simple.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I have nothing against consoles themselves. They're a cool idea, but the problem is that they strive for the mainstream and thus dumb everything down in order to reach it. I'd kill someone for a good portable console that came with a library of fantastical games. Instead, we just get cheesy, kiddy crap with the occasional good game but nothing truly MUST GET!!!

That Disciples 2 port looks awesome, definitely gonna get my hands on it even if it means buying a DS, heh. Disciples on a portable console is just too cool to pass up.

Jason

chasing a bee
The DS is looking more and more attractive because you can play all the GBA games plus Advance Wars DS, Panzer Tactics DS, Age of Empires DS, the ports mentioned above, Phoenix Wright, a new Metroid game (I think), and that creepy surgery game.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It's pretty cheap, too. I see no need to get a new bloated console when I get the sleek DS that has games that I'd actually like to play. You forgot the EU2 port, which would be hella cool if they pulled it off right.

omg we're talking about consoles we're so totally not hardkore

Llyranor

Liturgist
I already have a DS, so this is a moot point.

Turn-based gaming goodness, on the go? Yes please.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
With my money I've made from my job so far I';ve grabbed a DS Lite, Age of Empires TB, Tactics Ogre, WH40k, Warlords: Battlecry III, Earth 215/60, and TC2M (FINALLLYYY!!)

Life is good

Norfleet

I despise consoles, but I'd be willing to tolerate it if it came out on an emulator for a REAL machine. Otherwise it's not a REAL game.

Deacdo

Liturgist
I play TBed games on consoles all the time. The problem is, for the most part, finding ones with sufficient depth. That and I don't play handhelds, so they have to be on a home console (or emulated on one). Ironic, since handheld TBed games seem to be doing much better on handhelds than on home consoles :(

Deacdo

Liturgist
I owned that one. Won't run on my PS2 anymore (sold it), though, as it stopped playing CDs.

Jason

chasing a bee
The idea of Patrick playing PS2 games is kinda odd for some reason.

In other news, since both NL and Llyranor have DSs, I declare them our Official TCancer DS/GBA Corresponents. I expect full reports on all the latest Pokemon games.

Jason

chasing a bee
So, are we officially expanding our strategy repertoire to include console and handhelds now?

That wasn't my intention, but I don't see why not as long as we keep PC games as our primary focus. A newspost or review every now and then couldn't hurt.

LlamaGod

Cipher
The idea of Patrick playing PS2 games is kinda odd for some reason.

WELL TECHNICALLY they are PC games, but are released in America only as PS2 games. They've only released like 2 of them, also (out of like a series of 13).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom