Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WOW finnaly beaten to a pulp

ady5

Educated
We can rest easy now fellas, someone sacrificed it all for us to be free. Can we invent something else now?

That's... quite impressive actually. Especially if it's his only char.

[EDIT] LOL TAUREN DRUID? OH NO YOU LE FUCKING DIDN'T

Martin

Educated
He wore diapers for sure. Or maybe hes disabled which would make sense, but probably not.

I always thought the first would be a korean though, they did have the craptastic lineage 1 as a national sport.

Still this is definitely guiness book of records material.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
This is why some news sites may deserve to live:
156102-ryder.jpg

What was that about WoW? I got distracted.

mondblut

Arcane
"He's a WoW player. He will probably achieve nothing else in life."

LOL. Does that site have Kkkodeksians in staff?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The "everyone who plays WoW has no life" stereotype has always annoyed me. I knew a few people who played WoW and seemed to have no life, but most people I knew were fairly ordinary.

ever

Scholar
Most people I know who play WoW are really successful in their fields of work.

Its a really good product and it already targets higher income groups so I don't really see any surprise there.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
ever said:
it already targets higher income groups so I don't really see any surprise there.

How so? Anyone who honestly can't afford the measly monthly payment is lolpoor or from some third world shithole country.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
At BAFTA’s Annual Video Games Lecture last night, Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux revealed what he thinks are the five most revolutionary games of the last 20 years.
Dune 2, Super Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Halo and World of Warcraft.

Holy shit. Are you fucking serious? The man is further along in his dementia than we thought.

ever

Scholar
Turisas said:
How so? Anyone who honestly can't afford the measly monthly payment is lolpoor or from some third world shithole country.

I wouldn't consider myself poor, or Australia a 3rd world country, but I wouldn't say that I have $7200 to spend on a single game when you know, games are the last thing I ever want to actually spend money on. If my current consumable income was above maybe 120k/year and I had a certain amount of leverage there I'd consider it, but unfortunately I'm not at that level yet. Sure others have a higher demand for WoW than I do but really WoW is not something most people do when they're sitting at 40k/year

You have to have a fair bit of spare time, high earnings and a flexible schedule if you're gonna play World of Warcraft, and you don't really achieve those things without having talents in some trade or another.

Yeah sure you could argue that there are those who are genuinely losers and live on handouts and spend it all on WoW, but all my colleagues, acquaintances and friends who I know play the game are already well established in their lines of work, and don't have too many other commitments cause really there's little room for them to advance

ever

Scholar
Well when you buy most games you pay upfont and you keep them forever right? So I just did a perpetuity calculation at 5% p.a interest which is a ball park estimate of the NPV of all your future cash outflows to the game.

ever

Scholar
You know, there really is no reason to curse when asking questions

Lesifoere

Liturgist
ever said:
Well when you buy most games you pay upfont and you keep them forever right? So I just did a perpetuity calculation at 5% p.a interest which is a ball park estimate of the NPV of all your future cash outflows to the game.

No, I still don't get what the fuck. You said "a single game." If you bought the original game plus expansion packs at release, that's $130 ($80 now). Monthly fee is $15/month. So, assuming you've been playing since release with no break (and most WoW players take a break now and again, suspending their subscription for months at a time): 130 + 900 = nowhere near $7,200 unless you're broken in the head and/or plan to play WoW for decades to come. I'm talking in the region of twenty-thirty years.

ever

Scholar
:S

Well firstly I wasn't really concerned with how much you would have paid already in absolute terms, I'm more concerned about how much you would have to pay to be able to play on Blizzard's servers forever, which I see as akin to buying any other game (i.e getting the ability to play the game the way its meant to be played whenever you want)

To put it as simply as possible I was giving you the amount of money you'd have to pay to be able to play world of warcraft for an infinite number of years, which I see as the same as actually owning the game, hence the price of the game

You don't seem to be familiar with some of the basics of financial calculation. Not everyone is thats ok.

I'll help you out.

First you need to know what are interest rates and where they come from: An interest rate comes from the market for future money, what does that mean? It means that if I were to tell you hey you can have either $90 right now or I will give you $100 in ten years, you're prolly gonna take the $90 now. This difference is the discount rate or the interest rate. Interest rates also effect capital pricings, neutral profits, are influenced by money supply factors in modern economies blah blah blah but the gist of it is that future money can be bought by a smaller amount of present money.

Now when you calculate how much present money is worth in future money you say something like $100*(1.05)^2 to get the value of $100 today, 2 years from now at a 5% rate.

To get the value of $100 in two years today you do something similar: $100*(1.05)^(-2). This is called the Net Present Value, or NPV

Now, when you want to figure out lets say the NPV of $100 paid to you each year for the next n years you are adding $100*(1.05)^(-n) + $100*(1.05)^(-(n-1)) ... + $100*(1.05)^(-1) this is called an annuity

When n = infinity this sum is called a perpetuity. And since its a limiting sum the formula is Size of payment / interest rate. In the above example it would be $100/0.05 = $2,000

Ok so all I did with the world of warcraft thing was figure out the NPV of being able to play the game on Blizzard's servers forever. I used the Australian monthly fee of $30 in perpetuity (being able to play whenever you want)

Which is ($30*12)/0.05 = $7200

I did not take into account the up front payments (which would just be tacked onto the final answer), nor considered the actual rate of interest cause 5% is a good expected value, and I did not make it into an effective monthly rate cause the effect would be minimal.

ever

Scholar
I mean yeah sure you can say something like well the average consumer is only looking to rent world of warcraft for four of five years where the NPV is something like $1400 (Australian pricing yet again, and I didn't actually bother calculating this thoroughly or anything) but thats still a lot more than your average game, especially considering when you buy your average game you bought full ownership of it and not just rent for five years.

I don't know but to spend that much money on what is essentially just a minor luxury item is kinda nuts. Its akin to saying well if you can't afford a diamond necklace for your girlfriend you're some povo third worlder. Its just a really naive outlook

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom