Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Com and Quake 2 have a baby

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong>

<p><a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/ufoai/" target="_self" title="ddd">UFO: Alien Invasion</a>, an X-Com clone using the Quake 2 engine, has hit beta and is available for <a href="http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=351" target="_self" title="sss">download</a> at <a href="http://www.strategycore.co.uk" target="_self" title="s">StrategyCore</a>.</p><blockquote><p> "UFO: Alien Invasion NG" is a strategy game featuring tactical
combat against hostile alien forces which are about to infiltrate earth
at this very moment. </p><p>This is the first beta release of the UFO:Alien Invasion Sourceforge.
It looks very promising so far, and everyone that like UFO: Enemy
Unknown (X-COM: UFO Defense) should play it. Keep in mind that bugs
will be plentiful in the beta release, and that several features aren't
implemented properly.</p></blockquote><p>Downloading it right now, and I'll post my impressions soon. If I like it enough, maybe I'll try and get an interview going. God knows we need the <a title="ddd" target="_self" href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php">content</a>.
</p><p>In other news, Baby Arm is a <a href="http://forbiddentruth.8k.com/images/dahmer1.jpg" target="_self" title="ddd">fag</a>. </p><blockquote><p> </p></blockquote>

Jason

chasing a bee
I tried it and it's not so bad so far. It looks good and plays smooth (partly because of the kickass Q2 engine). Of course, you have to ignore the missing descriptions that are replaced with object names ("aliendesc_txt") and other unfinished aspects. But all in all, it goes on the List Of Shit I'm Going To Play. X-Com fans should keep an eye on it.

P.S. I'm a fag.

VasikkA

Liturgist
Oh, I almost thought this would be X-Com with First-Person Immersion and Intensityâ„¢.

Looking at the screenshots, it looks like crap, but hey I'm not judgmental(maybe a little). There's just so many X-Com clones in the making so I'm not gonna try it unless it receives triple A from TCancer.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Hmm, if I thought X-Com was difficult. I see they followed in its footsteps of not labling any of the buttons, so you have to click on them and see what they do to figure out what does what.

Can anyone tell me (this includes the original X-Com as well as this one) what needs to happen for an interrupt attack? Do they just need to have enough Points left over from the previous turn, or is there a button I have to push? I've never had a manual.

Jason

chasing a bee
In the original X-Com, you don't press a button for an interrupt (Opportunity Fire). Your guy can make an attack during the enemy turn if he has enough units left from his previous turn and his Reactions stat is high enough. I'm assuming it's the same for this game.
Hopefully, the UFOAI people add tooltips to the buttons. It would be retarded not to.

Vas, I doubt this is ever going to be a triple A title. But I'll be very happy if it's just a solid X-Com remake with non-wonky tactical combat. The graphics look fine to me, but I have a soft spot for the Q2 engine.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've been playing it for a while, taking breaks when it crashes (which is about once every mission or so). There's no interrupt as far as I can tell, there's a button with a shield on it but I have no idea what it does. Your soldiers have more health than in the original, and I haven't seen any UFOs, only missions where they attack towns. The graphics, honestly, aren't bad, though they're very very plain. There's a lot of bugs, of course, being a beta, the most annoying of which is that most of the time you don't get an accuracy % for shots, so you can't even tell if you have LOS on the target or not (they might've been spotted by someone else).

Also, there's a bug where the last two soldiers on my team won't start with any equipment, no matter what I give them.

Here's a hint, if you try it: Middle mouse controls which way your soldiers face. Very useful, kinda.

Jed

Cipher
I played this about a year (maybe more) ago, and I have to say, it's come a long way since then. Can't wait to see the "finished" version.
baby arm said:
The graphics look fine to me, but I have a soft spot for the Q2 engine.
Me too, especially since Anachronox.

sheek

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Here's a hint, if you try it: Middle mouse controls which way your soldiers face. Very useful, kinda.

What if you don't have a middle mouse button (like me)? Why do designers keep doing this?

Jason

chasing a bee
The mouse wheel usually can act as the middle button in most games. If you don't have a mouse wheel, go buy a new mouse. It's hard to go back once you have one.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
sheek said:
kingcomrade said:

What if you don't have a middle mouse button (like me)? Why do designers keep doing this?

Go buy a proper mouse you faggot and bin that fucking brick you're using...faggot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom