Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Announced and it's an FPS

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:

Pff, I bet it will be good for what it will be :smug:

YourConscience

Scholar
This makes me wonder - do we even matter at all? With 'we' I mean all those tens of thousands forumsgoers, core gamers, whatever these mediaguys call us. No matter how much we bith about Ubisofts new copy-protection - they are making dough like mad with it. No matter how much we bitch about the Fallout rape, they made dough with it like mad. No matter how much we bitch about the Elders scrolls rape they made dough with it ...

Do we matter at all? No, we don't. And all this marking blurb about listening to fans is just wasted energy on behalf of the marketing guys, because no one cares.

There is only one field where we matter: Our praise of indie games like Mount&Blade, Gratuitous Space Battles, etc. etc. made these titles successful. So let's just start praising all the alternatives out there. Make lists of best X-Com (with the hyphen) clones out there, especially those commercial ones.

analt

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
What the fuck is this shit? An FBI agent stopping aliens all by himself?

No silly, you will be partnered with a skeptical redhead to help you find your lost sister. Just like in the first game.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You really have to be some kind of a special type of retard to think that modern day "re-imagination" of X-Com would work at all.

Government cover-ups by men in black seemed possible then. But that was the time before mobile phones and Internet.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Announcement said:
“With BioShock 2, the team at 2K Marin proved themselves as masters of first-person, suspenseful storytelling, and with XCOM they will re-imagine and expand the rich lore of this severed franchise”
Fixed.

Tails

Arbiter
x-comrage.gif

Micmu

Magister
Holy crap. A new gameX-COM and, naturally, it's a console shooter!

didn't see this one coming. :roll:
it's worse than you thought.
Nope. It's exactly as IMPOSSIBLY horrific

DiverNB

Liturgist
Why re-use an IP that has a relatively niche market? Seems like there is little creativity in the gaming industry.

Micmu

Magister
No, now they're just making casual shooters and slapping old names to it to make them n,nnnn% more marketable. And that's it.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Did they even PLAY X-COM or did they just wander over to MobyGames and look at the screenshots for about 5 minutes before deciding to "reimagine", I mean rape, the franchise?

Tails

Arbiter
Our buddies from StrategyCore can't wait for the game.

jazzotron

Liturgist
Moreover, they're using the title X-Com - yet one plays an FBI agent.

I would have thought that in playing X-Com you would be in control of, well, an X-Com operative.

Bah, regardless, this is an abomination and must be destroyed with fire.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
That a strategic, turn-based isometric game can't be expected to sell in today's market, I can understand, and bear.

That the X-COM name has to be slapped on a FPS in order to help it sell in today's market, barring the namesake from ever being recreated someday in tomorrow's market the way it SHOULD be remade, is where I balk.

fuuuuu.png
indeed.

Jason

chasing a bee
No

didn't see this one coming. Rolling Eyes
While aware this was in the realm of possibility, I honestly thought we would see something more along the lines of Freedom Force: UFO Defense (i.e. still a strategy game but with RTwP and nods to being an "action" strategy game). Guess I still have some growing up/butthurting to do before I can become a true Codexer.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Crispy said:
That a strategic, turn-based isometric game can't be expected to sell in today's market, I can understand, and bear.
Civ seems to be doing well (although it would be kind of cool to play an FBI agent tasked with expanding the American Empire and taking over towns and countries, and feeling all that tension and fear).

Jason said:
While aware this was in the realm of possibility, I honestly thought we would see something more along the lines of Freedom Force: UFO Defense (i.e. still a strategy game but with RTwP and nods to being an "action" strategy game).
Same here. Freedom Force, maybe Dawn of War 2, but a shooter? Definitely didn't see it coming.

analt

Scholar
Haba said:
Government cover-ups by men in black seemed possible then. But that was the time before mobile phones and Internet.

I would like plane tickets to your country, please. Where I live, mobile phones and the Internet are just another way for the government to spy on you. And we didn't even have gulags when the first X-COM came out.

phelot said:
I don't get why they do this. There hasn't been an X-COM game in years no? The sort of people that they'll be targeting have never heard of X-COM so why even use the name?

Same reason they used the Fallout name for a fps. Even if you never played the earlier games, the "3" gives the product an aura of respect.

btw, I love this topic

Zomg

Arbiter
This won't happen but it would be gratifying if they gave the original game the Street Fighter II HD/Bionic Commando treatment where they throw out an indie-like remake of the original game to piggyback off of their marketing investment, with new art, done by extremely nerdy developers that understand the ever loving shit out of it, at like a $20 price point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom