Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

yahtzee does ME2

Fens

Ford of the Llies
because there can't be enough topics about a game i haven't played (yet):
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... s-Effect-2

now go and tear it apart

in before "he stopped being funny 20 years ago" / "he was never funny" / "how is this news ? oh it ain't"

relootz

Scholar
I congratulate you newfag for posting this in the right section.

"Commander Shepard should acquire most of his resources by shooting them out of a monster's face."

Can't argue there, considering the alternative.

Shannow

Waster of Time
relootz said:
I congratulate you newfag for posting this in the right section.

hurr, hurr, derp, derp

Not having played MEh2 this review sounds like it could be about right (apart from the good writing-cock-suck-part).
Is Yahtzee getting better?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
bowh.png
bur6.jpg

dragonfk

Erudite
WTF?

Is he fucking joking? On what difficulty level does he play that he considers the game to be too easy. I'm playing at Hardcore and find some encounters to be hard. 15 minutes of reloading hard.

I have a feeling Yahtzee never plays games on harder than Normal ant then bitches about lack of challenge.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I have the feeling some people don't "get" that "normal" is the normal gaming difficulty. The difficulty a game should be most balanced for. ---> If a game is easy on normal, it is easy.

bowh.png
B 4
bur6.jpg

fizzelopeguss said:
Quiet dickhole, you're still a filthy noob.

Shannow said:
I have the feeling some people don't "get" that "normal" is the normal gaming difficulty. The difficulty a game should be most balanced for. ---> If a game is easy on normal, it is easy.

Not if you are someone who has already played shitload of other games during your life. There's only so much innovation you can do to keep one from getting familiar with certain game mechanics. There was a time when games where challenging for me on Normal, but then some years passed and now I play every game on Hard or higher difficulty. Should developers start making Normal difficulty harder because it isn't challenging enough for me or should they acknowledge the fact that there are still people relatively new to gaming coming in?

Pliskin

Arbiter
Shannow said:

Which begs the question, is Normal the new Easy --- just because devs are pandering to the (yes, I'm going to say it) "casual" market?

relootz

Scholar
There is no need to generalize. Normal isnt dumbed down in Dragon Age for example, a major release in the last couple of months.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Multidirectional said:
Not if you are someone who has already played shitload of other games during your life.

games were made for a small audience that would spend a lot of time playing one particular game. these days games compete for the low-attention-span crowd. if a game takes more than a few days to complete, it won't be completed and considered too hard and/or boring. this is why "normal" means "we won't hurt your feelings / your dead granny could win this" today.

reaven

Educated
Fens said:
Multidirectional said:
Not if you are someone who has already played shitload of other games during your life.

games were made for a small audience that would spend a lot of time playing one particular game. these days games compete for the low-attention-span crowd. if a game takes more than a few days to complete, it won't be completed and considered too hard and/or boring. this is why "normal" means "we won't hurt your feelings / your dead granny could win this" today.
:incline:

Silellak

Cipher
Most games these days give pretty accurate descriptions - often even in-game - of how each difficulty setting changes the game. If you're the sort of self-righteous person who ignores these descriptions, because "games should totally be balanced for hardcore gamers on normal difficulty omg", more power to you I guess. Personally, I'll' continue putting games on whatever difficulty means I'm likely to get the most possible enjoyment out of them.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Multidirectional said:
Shannow said:

Not if you are someone who has already played shitload of other games during your life. There's only so much innovation you can do to keep one from getting familiar with certain game mechanics. There was a time when games where challenging for me on Normal, but then some years passed and now I play every game on Hard or higher difficulty. Should developers start making Normal difficulty harder because it isn't challenging enough for me or should they acknowledge the fact that there are still people relatively new to gaming coming in?
Where do I say that games should be balanced for (hardcore)gamers? (Although they should be. One reason games used to be better.)
All I said that "normal" is the difficulty level to judge games by. Which is so obvious, it hurts. Whining that a game you didn't play on normal is described as easy is just ridiculous. If you want to point out that the devs reached a satisfying challenge-level on higher difficulties...do so. Knock yourselves out. But normal is still the level to judge a game by, if you don't want to go into more detail about the different settings and experienced gamers vs casual, etc.

And if a casual player like me has few problems in DAO on hard, it's (too) easy
:P

dragonfk

Erudite
Silellak said:
Most games these days give pretty accurate descriptions - often even in-game - of how each difficulty setting changes the game. If you're the sort of self-righteous person who ignores these descriptions, because "games should totally be balanced for hardcore gamers on normal difficulty omg", more power to you I guess. Personally, I'll' continue putting games on whatever difficulty means I'm likely to get the most possible enjoyment out of them.

First of all, I am/was not complaining about the difficulties I am having with some of the encounters. If anything I have much more satisfaction that after a really long struggle yesterday, I've managed to beat this particular fight. So no "ignoring" on my part.

Second of all even if the game informs you about what each difficulty level means it still doesn't matter, because there maybe some balancing problems that will make one of the classes much easier than the other.

Third of all, our discussion was about Yathze and his comment on difficulty. So as far as I am concerned I think that he should try more difficult levels if he finds normal/veteran too easy. It's true that he didn't state on what difficulty he played, but I find very hard to believe he would complain about easiness if he had played on Hardcore or Insane. Or maybe my Infiltrator build sucks. Erm, maybe not. Afterall it's Mass Effect 2, character development is as straightforward as it gets.

TL;DR Yathze is a stupid ignorant.

Silellak

Cipher
dragonfk said:
Silellak said:

First of all, I am/was not complaining about the difficulties I am having with some of the encounters. If anything I have much more satisfaction that after a really long struggle yesterday, I've managed to beat this particular fight. So no "ignoring" on my part.

Second of all even if the game informs you about what each difficulty level means it still doesn't matter, because there maybe some balancing problems that will make one of the classes much easier than the other.

Third of all, our discussion was about Yathze and his comment on difficulty. So as far as I am concerned I think that he should try more difficult levels if he finds normal/veteran too easy. It's true that he didn't state on what difficulty he played, but I find very hard to believe he would complain about easiness if he had played on Hardcore or Insane. Or maybe my Infiltrator build sucks. Erm, maybe not. Afterall it's Mass Effect 2, character development is as straightforward as it gets.

TL;DR Yathze is a stupid ignorant.
I think we actually agree. My comment was meant for those who insist on judging games based entirely around the "normal" difficulty. They are more than welcome to do so, but if someone claims a game is too easy, and it turns out they're playing on Easy or Normal...I'll take their opinion with a grain of salt.

"The game is too dark!"
"Have you played with the brightness setting?"
"FUCK YOU it should be perfect on DEFAULT and THAT'S how I'll judge it!"

Game difficulty, like all game options, are designed to help tailor a game to your preferences as much as possible. For someone complain that the game isn't tailored to their preferences on the "default" or "normal" settings - when there are other settings readily available - is pretty arrogant. Especially considering that gamer skill can greatly vary even amongst the "hardcore" crowd, when you take into account an individual's experience in a genre, hand/eye coordination, etc. I imagine someone used to non-ME Bioware games, who jumped into ME2 - even on normal - would be shocked at just how fast you die if you don't use cover.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And if a casual player like me has few problems in DAO on hard, it's (too) easy "

You aren't a casual players. casual players simply don't post on the Codex so stop the fuckin' bullshit.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Silellak said:
"The game is too dark!"
Actually, yes the brightness should be as close to perfect as possible. While increasing gamma actually lets me see stuff in too dark parts of a game, it also lets the rest of the game look like crap. And sorry, I'm not hardcore (reading this, Volly?) I won't play blindly, I don't want to play with a game that looks crappy because of too much gamma and I don't want to constantly fiddle back and forth between gamma settings. So unless the game is supposed to be survival-horror I don't see anything wrong with asking for good/balanced brightness vs darkness levels.

Volourn said:
"And if a casual player like me has few problems in DAO on hard, it's (too) easy "

You aren't a casual players. casual players simply don't post on the Codex so stop the fuckin' bullshit.
I'm not schizophrenic, you dumbfuck.
And I'll never stop, never!
Neither will I!

Silellak

Cipher
Shannow said:
Silellak said:
"The game is too dark!"
Actually, yes the brightness should be as close to perfect as possible. While increasing gamma actually lets me see stuff in too dark parts of a game, it also lets the rest of the game look like crap. And sorry, I'm not hardcore (reading this, Volly?) I won't play blindly, I don't want to play with a game that looks crappy because of too much gamma and I don't want to constantly fiddle back and forth between gamma settings. So unless the game is supposed to be survival-horror I don't see anything wrong with asking for good/balanced brightness vs darkness levels.
Perfect for who? People playing on a TV or PC monitor? What kind of TV - DLP, LCD, Plasma? With what settings? Factory? Professionally calibrated? Somewhere in between?

ME just has a horribly balanced class system. Certain skills do sizable damage to most/all armor types, others are completely useless until the enemy is almost dead. I believe it was warp that, when I got it, reduced all battles to pressing '1' every few seconds until enemies died, hiding behind invincible cover in the meantime. Even insanity is easy if you do that. Also boring as fuck, but that's how the game expects you to play. Don't even bother using other powers, they are weaker and it means you get to use warp less often because of the universal cooldown.

Zomg

Arbiter
Easy (should be the default difficulty) - player has never played a video game before, game almost plays itself

Normal - has played a game in a different genre before or the same genre a few years back

Hard - has played a game in the same genre recently or the game this is a sequel to

Hardest - has played this game before

That's the ideal if you have blockbuster-type resources and motivation to rebalance your shit to appeal to slightly different audiences. Obviously if I were making an indie RPG or something I wouldn't bother trying to hook some guy that's never played an RPG before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom