Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Yosharian

Arcane
I just played for like 35 hours on Kezyma's list and barely experienced any crashes.

CHEMS

Scholar
I'm not big for graphic mods, i like scripted ones that add interesting mechanics or expand existing ones

That's when modding gets tricky

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm not big for graphic mods, i like scripted ones that add interesting mechanics or expand existing ones

That's when modding gets tricky
I mean Sigs list does have quite a bit of visual stuff but it does also improve a lot of gameplay aspects.

CHEMS

Scholar
Funny enough Morrowind is the only game i remember where you can put 200+ mods and it doesn't make it CTD like motherfucker every 30 minutes. Game is a miracle.
On MWSE you get a lot of crashes...

What mods caused your game to crash? Played it for years but it was very stable for me.
I don't remember all the crashy mods, i remember Horror at Helvil Mine caused crashes when upgrading pickaxes.

I also get a frequent crash when i get inside Balmora's Mage guild, CTD when entering the cell after prolonged playthroughs, i still can't pinpoint what's causing it, but it so frequent and predictable that i always save before getting inside Balmora's MG.

Yosharian

Arcane
Figured it out finally, it was an MWSE mod that Sigourn included. Which for some reason offers no customization cos of course nobody would ever use their V key for anything. JFC.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
YouTube recommended me another one of these dime a dozen faceless British channels:

I stupidly clicked it and it turned into a hate watch pretty quickly:

- "Keys KosAIDS".
- Advises people to use MGSO in 2023.
- Video has "in 2023" in the title for SEO to compete with videos that actually have useful advice for playing in the current (well, last) year.
- Claims you can only join a few factions and that most of them are mutually exclusive.
- Discussing Daedric ruins while showing Dwemer ones.

YouTube is home to some great content on older games, but also lots of unadulterated dog shit like this, which is borderline disinformation. Man, I should polish up my British accent and make videos like this as a side hustle. Can't leave it to these tards.

Shadenuat

Arcane
YouTube recommended me another one of these dime a dozen faceless British channels:

I stupidly clicked it and it turned into a hate watch pretty quickly:

- "Keys KosAIDS".
- Advises people to use MGSO in 2023.
- Video has "in 2023" in the title for SEO to compete with videos that actually have useful advice for playing in the current (well, last) year.
- Claims you can only join a few factions and that most of them are mutually exclusive.
- Discussing Daedric ruins while showing Dwemer ones.

YouTube is home to some great content on older games, but also lots of unadulterated dog shit like this, which is borderline disinformation. Man, I should polish up my British accent and make videos like this as a side hustle. Can't leave it to these tards.

Yet he made video promoting old game, and you didn't.

None

Scholar
go-home.gif

This feels somewhat overdue, but there is now something of a proto-schedules mod for OpenMW. It's called Go Home! and it currently only covers sending NPCs to/from their homes during day or night. What's important here is that NPCs will actually path to their destination and are not disabled or teleported as with other mods. NPC specific schedules is a planned feature, so we could end up with what has been one of the more requested mods for Morrowind.

None

Scholar
Most schedules are, but scheduling itself is the bigger picture here. This mod could remain a novelty or turn into something very interesting depending on how the author develops it.

MakenBro

Literate
go-home.gif

This feels somewhat overdue, but there is now something of a proto-schedules mod for OpenMW. It's called Go Home! and it currently only covers sending NPCs to/from their homes during day or night. What's important here is that NPCs will actually path to their destination and are not disabled or teleported as with other mods. NPC specific schedules is a planned feature, so we could end up with what has been one of the more requested mods for Morrowind.

Only few important NPCs should get schedules, who cares if Hlaalu farmer #75 will go to eat at 20:00 PM, then sleep at 22:00, then wake up at 6:00 AM. Still, sending NPCs to their homes at night would be a nice addition.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't give a fuck about Morrowind NPC schedules.
What kind of autism is this?
Its because some people complain that NPCs just standing around breaks their immersion.
Well obviously, but immersion has to play second fiddle to gameplay at some point and I just don't want to deal with the annoyance of having to chase NPCs about
I dont think that it would be a issue chasing NPCs. They should be either at home in the morning and evening, or at work during most of the day. They would still be static majority of the time, and depending of what hour it is it would be easy to find them.

That said, personally I dont care much of this feature since found it more immersion breaking seeing Oblivion npcs doing stupid things and talking nonsense then if they just stood around.

Yosharian

Arcane
Shopkeepers, critical NPCs, etc etc - want them to be IN ONE PLACE when I have to speak to them. So that I can get the business of talking to them over with, and go do fun stuff, like killing dremora lords.

I do NOT find it fun to go to a shop and realise it's past 6pm and they've gone home for the day so now I need to go to an inn and rest which costs money.

I like turning off fast travel because having to travel through the map is generally more fun than flying from location to location at the press of a button (although this can be tedious if the quest is designed with FT in mind and is generally a shitty quest LOOKING AT YOU FALLOUT 4)

I like having survival mechanics and camping mechanics and environmental mechanics because they pose interesting questions if done well, like can I survive the trek through this frosty mountain or do i need more supplies, better gear, etc

There is NOTHING interesting about having to wait another 8 hours for a fucking NPC to open their shop

None

Scholar
Most (probably all) implementations I've seen aren't well thought out and exist for the sake of it. But that can be resolved by better implementation. For example, the mod I posted exempts any NPCs with a script attached to them, quest givers, guards, etc. It doesn't take much thinking to come up with scenarios where scheduled behavior, as a tool, could help produce something interesting which is what I find appealing here. Would be great if MWSE got a pathfinding upgrade so I could tool around with this on my own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom