Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock Your top three games of each year of the 1990s

Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War
Fallout 2
StarCraft

FreeSpace 2
Outcast
Homeworld 1

Where's all the other genres or settings bro? You were one with the stars in the late 90s.
Stars were the best bro. I loved all space games, still do. To bad the genre took a nosedive after Freespace 2 and Homeworld. Outcast was unbelievable when it came out, the scope, the open world.

I loved all space games, still do. To bad the genre took a nosedive after Freespace 2 and Homeworld
have you heard of Distant Worlds: Universe?

also Stellaris and sins of a solar empire for a less cerebral experience
I was not referring to 4x games. Even Homeworld is an outlier sense it's an rts, but it's not a 4x game. I meant games like Freespace 1&2 and Tachyon: The Fringe, space sims. And yeah I have played Sins of a Solar Empire, it was okay. Maybe will pick it up again. I recently played Dune: Spice Wars with a friend and I quite enjoyed that game.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I was not referring to 4x games. Even Homeworld is an outlier sense it's an rts, but it's not a 4x game. I meant games like Freespace 1&2 and Tachyon: The Fringe, space sims. And yeah I have played Sins of a Solar Empire, it was okay. Maybe will pick it up again. I recently played Dune: Spice Wars with a friend and I quite enjoyed that game.
sorry 4x is too hard for you retard

Haha I played Hearts of iron and Europa Universalis growing up, I just don't have any interest in classical space empire 4x games, but I enjoyed the historical settings. And again, bitch, you are missing the point. I said I was mainly interested in the classic space sims, but you wouldn't know quality sense you just play fucking Starfield :)

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Haha I played Hearts of iron and Europa Universalis growing up, I just don't have any interest in classical space empire 4x games, but I enjoyed the historical settings. And again, bitch, you are missing the point. I said I was mainly interested in the classic space sims, but you wouldn't know quality sense you just play fucking Starfield :)
all I'm saying is DW:U is the best "space game" ever made, if you haven't tried it, give it a shot. DW2 is a different kind of game and I wouldn't play it just yet.

if you meant space RTS games have taken a dive, then yeah. The main appeal of RTS was multiplayer anyway, and online players moved on to other genres so there wasn't much demand anymore and the genre stagnated hard. but for space sims in general there is a lot of good stuff out right now

Baron Tahn

Scholar
How the hell are people even figuring out what is in which year!? I cant remember that kind of detail!

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Nah thats useless because it only lets me browse a few pages before it gives me a 'guest/bot limit'. That can git farked.

all I'm saying is DW:U is the best "space game" ever made, if you haven't tried it, give it a shot. DW2 is a different kind of game and I wouldn't play it just yet.

if you meant space RTS games have taken a dive, then yeah. The main appeal of RTS was multiplayer anyway, and online players moved on to other genres so there wasn't much demand anymore and the genre stagnated hard. but for space sims in general there is a lot of good stuff out right now
Okay, I will check it out. But no, with space sims I meant flight simulators in space. Which are commonly referred to as Space Flight Sims. Games you pilot a ship in and need a joystick, or HOTAS nowd ays. Games like XWing vs TieFighter, Freespace 1 and 2, StarLancer and Tachyon: The Fringe. Only space rts I played was Homeworld back in the day, but it was something else. Otherwise I played standard rts, total war games and paradox games for strategy.

I wouldn't consider a 4x games as a space sims. But maybe the terminology has evolved?

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
This took some thinking. 95 was bleh, I guess on account of being between eras.

90 Champions of Krynn, Kwirk, Puzznic
91 Death Knights of Krynn, Master of Monsters, Tricky Kick
92 Gemfire, Mario Paint, Sonic 2
93 Companions of Xanth, Fire 'n Ice, Secret of Mana
94 DK '94, TES Arena ;D, Snatcher
95 Jumping Flash, Mario Picross, Shiren the Wanderer
96 Chronicles of the Sword (my kusoge pick), Jumping Flash 2, Pilotwings 64
97 Fallout, Lunacy, Shining the Holy Ark
98 the Grimoire beta unironically, Parasite Eve, Sutte Hakkun
99 Book of Watermarks, Chocobo Dungeon 2, Final Fantasy 8

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom