Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment 22 years and still nothing comes close to Planescape Torment

Arthandas

Prophet
Where was the last time you played a rpg with truly interesting characters, quests, locations and setting? Something you can remember for the next two decades?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Where was the last time you played a rpg with truly interesting characters, quests, locations and setting? Something you can remember for the next two decades?

img_30339117-prevagen-441p-rs.JPG

bionicman

Liturgist
In terms of the story and characters, I've always felt Kotor 2 was PST but in the Star Wars setting.

Kreia is basically a Star Wars Ravel.
Both Bao Dur and Dak'kon have some sort of past history with the protagonist and are loyal to him.
Handmaiden and Visas fighting over the Exile = Anna and Fall-from-Grace fighting over the Nameless One.
And Atton evokes the same feeling as Morte:
Both have a dark secret they're hiding from the protagonist, all the while they're comedic relief companions.

I actually played Kotor 2 before I played PST, so playing PST for the first time felt like re-experiencing Kotor 2 but in a different setting and with a different theme.

And, also, I guess playing Kotor 2 feels like watching a movie, while playing PST feels like reading a book. So, Kotor 2 is definitely a more shallow experience, but still quite similar.

Planescape Torment is memorable. What is your opinion on Torment Numenera? In my case the game looks interesting, but is bad on the technical side. It lags and stutters. Shame they had to go for high end effects, while they could do another game with Torment technology.

v1rus

Arcane
Yeah, RPGs seem to have been in a state of decline lately, and I have yet to play any of these new IE-like games, and they sure dont seem promising. But why limit yourself just to RPGs? Sure, this is a roleplaying RPG game forum, but video games of other genres can be just as deep, meaningful and clever as RPGs.

Pathologic 2 fully reaches the glory of PST, and hell, it perhaps even tops it.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Why limit yourself to video games. I still remember the tacos I ate 5 years ago in that little restaurant I went to. Mindblowing delicious

bionicman

Liturgist
Last edited by a moderator:

v1rus

Arcane
Why limit yourself to video games. I still remember the tacos I ate 5 years ago in that little restaurant I went to. Mindblowing delicious
Perhaps T in PST stands for taco?

Had to do it. Gonna see myself out now.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
For me it's more, does gaming still instill the same joy it did 22 years ago. Not sure I can answer that positively. I still get some games I get sucked into from time to time, but my dry spells for pure game enjoyment get longer and longer

Oh yeah, Hollow Knight was one of my highlights in recent years, not an RPG though

Vatnik Wumao
For me it's more, does gaming still instill the same joy it did 22 years ago. Not sure I can answer that positively. I still get some games I get sucked into from time to time, but my dry spells for pure game enjoyment get longer and longer
For me it's more of a way to recharge my batteries nowadays. Caveman stared into the fire, I stare onto maps.

Arthandas

Prophet
For me it's more, does gaming still instill the same joy it did 22 years ago.
I think games today are better than ever, you just need to completely ignore mainstream AAA titles and focus on indies. Sadly, most of them are platformers or various shooters and not true crpgs.

xuerebx

Erudite
From a story perspective - I agree. Very engrossing, interesting setting and characters, and you really bond well with what ultimately are video game characters.

From a gameplay perspective though, at least focusing on the combat side, it was very meh. You try to run from one point to another point hoping to avoid the combat sequences. Not that it's the only game with this flaw though..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom