Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment 22 years and still nothing comes close to Planescape Torment

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
but Planescape Torment's popularity always puzzled me.

Storyfags are wired differently :lol:
Yes,we are superb. Intelligent people enjoy a new story to read and an interesting world to explore,dumb people enjoy smashing trough repetitive battles in outdated generic combat system. :smug:

Nigga please.

If you like reading good stories revert to classic books.

Video games are for gameplay and not for reading wall of texts written by amateur writers who could not write anything of value even if they life depended on it :lol:
Books are like any other medium,you run out of good shit fairly quickly. Don't care about games,i play RPGs :smug:. Now go play some call of booty or what eva it is modern this days.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Yes,we are superb. Intelligent people enjoy a new story to read and an interesting world to explore,dumb people enjoy smashing trough repetitive battles in outdated generic combat system. :smug:

Nigga please.

Video games are for gameplay and not for reading wall of texts written by amateur writers who could not write anything of value even if they life depended on it :lol:

Yeah let's just ignore the storylines in games then. If you want mindless action there's arcade games.

Atchodas

Augur

Nigga please.

Yeah let's just ignore the storylines in games then. If you want mindless action there's arcade games.
You implying that storylines can only be represented by wall of text? Get out of here.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Nigga please.

You implying that storylines can only be represented by wall of text? Get out of here.

Yes, because we have billions of books all about stories retard going back thousands of years. Typical zoomer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Nigga please.

So you are one of those retards that gush at dark rolls franchise for its story telling level design lol. No,words tell a story,not generic and idiotic level design lol.

Harthwain

Magister

I disagree to a degree - a story can provide good backdrop for the gameplay. Warcraft II (or Starcraft I) is great example for such approach: the whole game is basically a bunch of maps made in a map editor, but briefings link these maps together by providing the player with reasoning why you moved from map A to map B.

Atchodas

Augur

Nigga please.

Yes, because we have billions of books all about stories retard going back thousands of years. Typical zoomer.
Hardest part of conversing with you is to choose between Butthurt (which you clearly are) and Retarded(pretty obvious from your answers) ratings :dealwithit:

Atchodas

Augur

I disagree to a degree - a story can provide good backdrop for the gameplay. Warcraft II (or Starcraft I) is great example for such approach: the whole game is basically a bunch of maps made in a map editor, but briefings link these maps together by providing the player with reasoning why you moved from map A to map B.

Did you choose Warcraft and Starcraft as your argument for storry faggotry? Whaaaaat?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Nigga please.

Hardest part of conversing with you is to choose between Butthurt (which you clearly are) and Retarded(pretty obvious from your answers) ratings :dealwithit:

The only one butthurt and retarded in this conversation is you. If you want to have the cinematographic story that is only superficial I recommend tv shows and movies.

Atchodas

Augur

Nigga please.

So you are one of those retards that gush at dark rolls franchise for its story telling level design lol. No,words tell a story,not generic and idiotic level design lol.

Words =/= boring wall of texts.

Also there is more to telling a story in video game than just words, if devs choose to bombard you with boring ass wall of texts to get their message across then its just lazy design.

Atchodas

Augur

Nigga please.

The only one butthurt and retarded in this conversation is you. If you want to have the cinematographic story that is only superficial I recommend tv shows and movies.

Im not the one getting angry and defensive here :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Nigga please.

Also there is more to telling a story in video game than just words, if devs choose to bombard you with boring ass wall of texts to get their message across then its just lazy design.
It is a storryfag not a textwallfag,you dipshit. You don't even know what you are arguing about,at this point lol. Also stop quoting each other like retards and killing the good conversation we had just a moment ago. Go make your own thread about "muh worlds hurt" and leave us to our discussion.

Harthwain

Magister
Did you choose Warcraft and Starcraft as your argument for storry faggotry? Whaaaaat?
Starcraft *has* an exceptional story. Warcraft - less so, but the way your tactical/strategical goals are presented *is* great. This is how a grand strategy game based in Warcraft could work. But this is less about "story faggotry" as such and more about the story in general being a good starting off point to playing the game. Even when it is just a bunch of text read by a narrator.

Personally I'd like to see more RPGs taking Neo Scavenger's (or Stoneshard's) approach rather than Planescape: Torment's or Disco Elysium's, because the latter games tend to be heavily constrained by amount of text that has to be produced (and it requires quality, not just quantity! Otherwise we end up with another Tides of Numenera) and seldom can do something developers didn't think of, while the former games do not need as much text and don't have everything to be hand-placed or conceived by the developers (procedural generation, systemic interactions, etc.).

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Nigga please.

Im not the one getting angry and defensive here :smug:

Like the good retard you are is that you ignore apathy for anger. I could care less what you think. Now you go on the idiot list. See that's how much I don't care about you.

Atchodas

Augur

Nigga please.

It is a storryfag not a textwallfag,you dipshit. You don't even know what you are arguing about,at this point lol. Also stop quoting each other like retards and killing the good conversation we had just a moment ago. Go make your own thread about "muh worlds hurt" and leave us to our discussion.
Nah.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
it is a thought process,not a fucking mental illness.
p. much

It's a literal theatre of the mind.
It is theatre made for us,not for the character. It is like trying to reconstruct a scene when one of your pets snacked your breakfast while you were taking a piss :lol:.
I always saw it as a mental illness, after all the MC is literally conversing with his necktie. In some ways it is normal to have an inner conversation but Harry takes it to a pathological level.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
p. much

It is theatre made for us,not for the character. It is like trying to reconstruct a scene when one of your pets snacked your breakfast while you were taking a piss :lol:.
I always saw it as a mental illness, after all the MC is literally conversing with his necktie. In some ways it is normal to have an inner conversation but Harry takes it to a pathological level.
Disagree,clearly the tie is alive! The game had shown us that the supernatural is real,also harry is a fucking alcoholic and party anime,thus that tie had seen some epic juices and vomit on itself, thus we could conclude that it got evolved from all the biological material spilled/soaked. Clearly it is a next step of tie evolutionary tree!

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
p. much

Disagree,clearly the tie is alive! The game had shown us that the supernatural is real,also harry is a fucking alcoholic and party anime,thus that tie had seen some epic juices and vomit on itself, thus we could conclude that it got evolved from all the biological material spilled/soaked. Clearly it is a next step of tie evolutionary tree!
Honestly, you may be right about that! This shines a whole new light on it's ultimate sacrifice at the tribunal!

fork

Holy fuck the retardation in this thread is off the charts. Reading random youtube comments feels more intellectually rewarding.

Humbaba

Arcane
Like being kicked from the force? Or shooting a kid? :hahano: There is a plenty of laugh, but there are serious situations too.

That's not what I am saying. I merely contest the retarded notion that Disco Elysium allegedly attempts to "romanticize" the actual mental illnesses. And since your reading comprehension is terrible I will tell you straight what I meant by what I said:

1) Fiction =/= Reality.

2) Skills are not people. Skills are personifications - they "tell" you what's going on, but this is a narrative gimmick. Trying to associate that with mental illness is ludicrous.

3) Mental illnesses are... illnesses. I had contact with mentally ill people and I fail to see why anyone would even WANT to "romanticize" such conditions in the first place. What is there to "romanticize" when a person you are speaking with keeps repeating herself over and over again, because she forgets what we were talking just a moment before?

And to prove you clearly have no idea what the skill system stands for:

Who would have thought the developers want their game to be interesting (and fun) to play!

But surely this is a red herring and the real goal was to "romanticize" the mental health problems?

Who is retarded here?

You because you think that the mental illness theme is restricted exclusively to the skill system, proving that you have absolutely no clue how themes work. Also you fail to see the difference between romanticisation and glorification because you have the vocabulary of a mentally challenged mandrill. And those """serious""" moments are few and far between.

I also don't give a shit about what those stalinist gamedevs said. Ever heard of death of the author? And do you actually think that anybody would just come out and say "yeah so we wanted to basically romanticise mental illness and we did just that."

You also fail to contest the notion in question. You just list of a bunch of non-sequiturs. QED: You're a retard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom