Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3 biggest flaws in Vanilla Oblivon?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
1. Flaw.
2. Flaw.
3. Flaw.

Other, not so big yet quite annoying flaws include:

4.Flaw.
5.Flaw.
6.Flaw.
7.Flaw.

And if you even consider this a flaw.

8. Flaw.

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Cloaked Figure said:
The difficulty slider being available after starting the game.

This is actually a great feature that every game should have. It makes no sense having to restart from the beginning if you discover mid game that the difficulty level doesn't suit you. And don't complain about the game being too easy because you can't keep your hands off that slider. That's just plain silly.

Tails

Arbiter
1. Horrible level scaling
2. It's silly that player or npc need to get off from Horse to start fight.
3. Lack of real RP and C&C.

dolio

Scholar
I'm not sure I have three, since I never got very far into the game, but:

1) The level system grates on me. It bugs me to level up and not maximize the stat bonus, and that leads to grinding on minor skills and keeping track of which skills I've raised and such. There are mods that fix this of course (and it was a problem with Morrowind, too), but last time I checked the "here's the list of mods that make oblivion worth playing" list, it required me to download multiple gigabytes of data and possibly fool with 3rd party software.

2) I like being a magic slinging guy, but that's absolutely terrible in early oblivion. You can fire off two or three fire bolts and then you have to sit around recovering mana, or go stab stuff with a dagger and hope you don't get killed because you're too fragile.

I imagine the enemy level scaling would bug me, too, but I never got far enough to experience any of that.

Black

Arcane
Flaws? I don't remember biggest gaming magazines mentioning any flaws.
Did you miss all those 11/10s, goty etc?
It has no flaws.
Troll harder

Worm King

Scholar
Tails said:
1. Horrible level scaling
2. It's silly that player or npc need to get off from Horse to start fight.
3. Lack of real RP and C&C.

Maybe in TES setting the stirrup hasn't been invented yet.

NiM82

Prophet
After Morrowind/Daggerfall I didn't really expect great combat, C&C, etc in a TES game, what I expected was an interesting/atmospheric world to explore. It failed epically on that front. So:

1. Poor world design.

2. The level scaling was also utterly retarded.

3. The lack of exclusive groups to join and factional reputation

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1. It desun't have japanese girls
2. It doesn't have dialogues
3. It has level scalling

GMonkey

Scholar
1. Empty world
2. Generic quests
3. Effectively, only 5 or 6 different NPCs in the whole game.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
In the order of encontering them:

1. Absolutely retarded character and skill system. I was quite surprised when my character's Athletics skill started increasing because I ran (I don't know anybody sane that has enough patience of walking through the boring starting dungeon).
2. Mindless hack and slash combat
3. Retarded minigames (lockpicking)
4. Quest Compass
5. Horrible retarded dialogues
6. Generic souless everything

Oblivion is probably the only game I have tried playing that fails in absolutely every RPG aspect. Even the graphics wasn't anything special.

"Sounds like oblivion. Why would anyone want that?"

Qwinn

Scholar
I've gotta agree with most of the posts.

The level scaling was by far the worst single problem. Horror, indeed.

After the very very cool stronghold quests in Morrowind, the "houses" in Oblivion were utter and complete crap. Such a letdown.

And yes, while I can truly appreciate the fact that mutually exclusive game paths are a developer nightmare and come with the tradeoff that it essentially lowers the time you can spend in any single playthrough, Oblivion went way way to the other extreme, and reduced replayability to zero by allowing you to do every last thing the game had to offer in a single playthrough. Bleah.

Morrowind was vastly superior to Oblivion, IMHO, in pretty much all respects. Again, such a letdown.

My actual experience was that I never even finished the main quest line, though I did pretty much every side quest and gotten to a ridiculous level by just practicing skills in some house where some woman was getting pestered by constantly respawning very weak imps. That alone got me so far past the "max level 20" autoscaling of the enemies that it became absurdly boring. It shouldn't be possible to level so high based on something that poses no threat whatsoever.

Qwinn

GMonkey

Scholar
Qwinn said:
I've gotta agree with most of the posts.

The level scaling was by far the worst single problem. Horror, indeed.

After the very very cool stronghold quests in Morrowind, the "houses" in Oblivion were utter and complete crap. Such a letdown.

And yes, while I can truly appreciate the fact that mutually exclusive game paths are a developer nightmare and come with the tradeoff that it essentially lowers the time you can spend in any single playthrough, Oblivion went way way to the other extreme, and reduced replayability to zero by allowing you to do every last thing the game had to offer in a single playthrough. Bleah.

Morrowind was vastly superior to Oblivion, IMHO, in pretty much all respects. Again, such a letdown.

My actual experience was that I never even finished the main quest line, though I did pretty much every side quest and gotten to a ridiculous level by just practicing skills in some house where some woman was getting pestered by constantly respawning very weak imps. That alone got me so far past the "max level 20" autoscaling of the enemies that it became absurdly boring. It shouldn't be possible to level so high based on something that poses no threat whatsoever.

Qwinn

While Morrowind was set in a more interesting world, the quests were the same generic crap, the dungeons were the same generic crap, the combat was actually worse, and the NPCs were worse as well. Other than the texture job, Morrowind and Oblivion are the same fucking game.

Qwinn

Scholar
Oh, I disagree. Morrowind had some gems that Oblivion totally lacked.

1) Watching the strongholds get built from the ground up and advance as you completed the quest chain was awesome for its time, long before the NWN2 OC thought to rip it off.

2) The mutually exclusive guild factions that immensely improved replayability. And come to think of it, because of that, the strongholds were mutually exclusive as well.

3) That one temple blessing that basically allowed you to fly across the entire continent. For the graphics of the time, that was pretty damn breathtaking.

4) Much more interesting storyline.

5) Outright disagree that the NPC's were worse in Morrowind than Oblivion. In Oblivion they all seemed to lose 4 points of CHA and 6 points of INT.

6) I enjoyed the Morrowind expansions, but I couldn't even bring myself to try the Oblivion expansions, so I suppose that's not a fair comparison.

7) Crafting in Morrowind was, IMO, better than in Oblivion.

8) I thought the bigger cities were laid out much better, architecture was more impressive. Seemed like they used up all their creative ideas for Morrowind and had to go with 2nd and 3rd rate choices in Oblivion just to be different.

9) No stupid equivalent of the respawning imp house to make levelling absurdly easy.

10) If there was level scaling, it wasn't nearly as obvious or broken.

11) The assassin's guild in Morrowind was WAY WAY more fun and interesting than the mind-numbingly dumb Morag Tong crap, or whatever they were called.

Qwinn

Lemunde

Scholar
1. Level Scaling
2. Voice Acting
3. Bland Dungeons

Let me go into more detail on the dungeons. They're not exactly bland in appearance but in layout. They are all designed in such a way that you get the feeling that if you've seen one you've seen them all. I don't remember getting that feeling in Morrowind. Each dungeon, though small, had it's own personality.

Even if they just changed the lighting scheme around it would have helped. In fact, did you know that the interiors of Ayleid ruins aren't greenish-blue? They're in fact a very light gray, much like the exteriors. They're only greenish-blue because that's the color of the lighting they use.

GMonkey

Scholar
Qwinn said:
Oh, I disagree. Morrowind had some gems that Oblivion totally lacked.

1) Watching the strongholds get built from the ground up and advance as you completed the quest chain was awesome for its time, long before the NWN2 OC thought to rip it off.

2) The mutually exclusive guild factions that immensely improved replayability. And come to think of it, because of that, the strongholds were mutually exclusive as well.

3) That one temple blessing that basically allowed you to fly across the entire continent. For the graphics of the time, that was pretty damn breathtaking.

4) Much more interesting storyline.

5) Outright disagree that the NPC's were worse in Morrowind than Oblivion. In Oblivion they all seemed to lose 4 points of CHA and 6 points of INT.

6) I enjoyed the Morrowind expansions, but I couldn't even bring myself to try the Oblivion expansions, so I suppose that's not a fair comparison.

7) Crafting in Morrowind was, IMO, better than in Oblivion.

8) I thought the bigger cities were laid out much better, architecture was more impressive. Seemed like they used up all their creative ideas for Morrowind and had to go with 2nd and 3rd rate choices in Oblivion just to be different.

9) No stupid equivalent of the respawning imp house to make levelling absurdly easy.

10) If there was level scaling, it wasn't nearly as obvious or broken.

11) The assassin's guild in Morrowind was WAY WAY more fun and interesting than the mind-numbingly dumb Morag Tong crap, or whatever they were called.

Qwinn

1) Is that something introduced by the expansions? Because I don't recall ever coming across any stronghold type quests.

2) That would be true if the quests weren't all the same fetch/kill crap.

3) Do you mean the two teleporting thingies? :?:

4) I found both pretty forgettable.

5) In Morrowind, NPCs were nothing but walking mini wikipedias.

6) I never tried either games' expansions.

7) I never did enchant anything in Oblivion, mostly because I found the whole process boring in Morrowind.

8) I agree there, although I think it was just a case of chosen setting.

9) Levelling difficulty was never a problem in Elder Scrolls games.

10) I think level scaling was always an issue in the Elder Scrolls games, even if more so in Oblivion.

Qwinn

Scholar
1) Is that something introduced by the expansions? Because I don't recall ever coming across any stronghold type quests.

Er, if you missed the stronghold quests, you missed a pretty damn big part of the game. It's been a while, but I think you got a different stronghold depending on which of the three mutually exclusive factions you joined (which roughly tended along fighter/mage/thief lines, but which were totally different from the actual fighter/mage/thief guilds).

3) Do you mean the two teleporting thingies?

No. Near the biggest city, right outside a temple, there was an obelisk and if you donated to it or something like that, you'd get a huge Flying blessing that you could literally fly -fast- across the entire continent before it'd wear off. It was awesome.

Qwinn

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom