Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3 biggest flaws in Vanilla Oblivon?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Not physically yours.

Haha, good job on removing the "racofer is the kind of new member that most people hate...", self rape at it's best.

spectre

Arcane
Thread hijacking is not stealing because... oh wait.

Why yet another pointless Bolivion thread? It's so five years ago. If you wanna troll, try harder.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The biggest flaw of Oblivion was that people who did not like tried to rebound by running off to any "niche" or "hardcore" forum they could find, so they talk endlessly how much they hated the game.

These people knew less of old games and their merits, and were only trying to earn an oldschool label simply because they disliked a new game.

In short, it has created a generation of fucking posers, people who aren't here to celebrate what was good about old games, but rather to deride new ones. Their idea of finding likeminded people has only been based on a negative fulfilment, rather than a positive and honest reason to come to niche RPG message boards.

The most amusing thing about posers is that their idea of an old game is a game made within this very generation, and how they try to wax nostalgic about it, as if those games were made aeons ago.

Equally amusing about such posers is that when they find people who are playing and enjoying new games, they try to deride them for it, not even realizing that many of those said people have far more knowledge and experience of games of many generations.

So they assume that pre-emptively hating new games is cool and trendy, not realizing that many genuine oldschoolers are able to enjoy new games just as well as they can enjoy old ones. It is something they can never grasp, and in their pathetic state, they envy people who are able to derive more enjoyment from games than they do. The best they can do is regurgitate buzzwords, that have no meaning whatsoever, while some people are genuinely enjoying the games they find

And all these posers; their minds explode at the notion that while these people know and understand old games, they do not mind catching up on some new games, and do not mind upgrading their computers for new age games. Somehow, it is impossible for the posers reconciliate the idea that even niche gamers can admire the products of new technology.

Hence, these posers, who want to compensate the inferiority complex borne out of having a crappy PC, are in a sad state where they neither understand or know of old games nor are able to enjoy new games.

This is what Oblivion did.

Amon Gesoto

Educated
Wyrmlord said:
The biggest flaw of Oblivion was that people who did not like tried to rebound by running off to any "niche" or "hardcore" forum they could find, so they talk endlessly how much they hated the game.

These people knew less of old games and their merits, and were only trying to earn an oldschool label simply because they disliked a new game.

In short, it has created a generation of fucking posers, people who aren't here to celebrate what was good about old games, but rather to deride new ones. Their idea of finding likeminded people has only been based on a negative fulfilment, rather than a positive and honest reason to come to niche RPG message boards.

The most amusing thing about posers is that their idea of an old game is a game made within this very generation, and how they try to wax nostalgic about it, as if those games were made aeons ago.

Equally amusing about such posers is that when they find people who are playing and enjoying new games, they try to deride them for it, not even realizing that many of those said people have far more knowledge and experience of games of many generations.

So they assume that pre-emptively hating new games is cool and trendy, not realizing that many genuine oldschoolers are able to enjoy new games just as well as they can enjoy old ones. It is something they can never grasp, and in their pathetic state, they envy people who are able to derive more enjoyment from games than they do. The best they can do is regurgitate buzzwords, that have no meaning whatsoever, while some people are genuinely enjoying the games they find

And all these posers; their minds explode at the notion that while these people know and understand old games, they do not mind catching up on some new games, and do not mind upgrading their computers for new age games. Somehow, it is impossible for the posers reconciliate the idea that even niche gamers can admire the products of new technology.

Hence, these posers, who want to compensate the inferiority complex borne out of having a crappy PC, are in a sad state where they neither understand or know of old games nor are able to enjoy new games.

Sounds like you're a little bitter; so you make other people's opinions into something lesser than your's because you youself have an inferiority complex.

The bitch about psychological analyzation is it can be tilted in any direction.

Glorm McGlorm

Novice
Yes, posers are sad. Even more sad are people that type freaking articles devoted to posers and post them on forums hoping to get some attention. Not to mention defending something as bland and uninspired as Oblivion.

Worm King

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:

Quite. I also disdain those damned kids scateboarding on the side walk and their hippity hop music.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Wyrmlord is right. The reason Crysis is so shitty is because of our crappy computers, not this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5jLqQcXzQ8.

This also applies to Oblivion. It's our slow asses computers that make the dialog sound like a 12 years old adventure book, the AI behave like shit. If we upgrade, everything good in oblivion will magically unlock (like an achievement) and everything will be wonderful, and we would have an AI like this from the E3 demo.

So to all whiners here, move along and give gold to hardware manufacturers so you can enjoy oblivion. Also don't forget you need Vista ultimate for this, else you end up with medium graphics.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Lol I had forgotten how much was promised in Oblivion with those preview videos.

Still the game does lack all that is listed, i have 360 friends who just can't understand why i don't like Oblivion, but these are guys who are used to JRPG from the consoles so to them everything in Oblivion is exciting and new when compared against JRPGs.
Incidentally they couldn't handle Morrowind while i liked it.

If you went from JRPG:s to Oblivion, I think that would just make you stay with JRPG:s. Like how I don't think Crysis would convert anyone into a FPS enthusiasist, but Doom could.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Wyrmlord said:

:facepalm:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I have a confession to make.

I'm playing Oblivion again.

BUT I'm playing it with the following mods: Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, The Lost Spires, Qarl's Texture Pack 3 Redimized, Less Annoying Magic Experience, and a few other minor ones to tweak various things like horses, water, etc.

It's fun. Pure mage this time, some challenge. Not as much retardedness, but it's still Oblivion.

And I don't give a fuck what all ya'all think.

(yeah, so why did I post this?)

Fuck you, jacofer.

WalterKinde

Scholar
OOO was at 300mb or so i believe when i first looked at it.
How much mb of extras did you have to download this time around to get a working Oblivion?
I'm not trying to be snarky just wondering.
In the morrowind days i needed a whole extra cd of plugins (700mb) to get it just right, this included extra adventures/quests, extensions to some cities (balmora expanded etc) graphical fixes as well as game fixes.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
OOO 1.33 is about 80MB I think and the nice thing about it is it's completely packaged up into an installable .exe (also OMOD-compatible). There are still optional modules (.esm's) that you can enable/disable, but by itself it fixes so many problems it's impractical to list them all here.

Even jacofer likes it:

Even Oblivion with the right mods can be somewhat enjoyable as a dungeon crawler or simply a powerplay playground. FO3, no way in hell can it ever become anything else other than poo poo.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 0&start=75

vrok

Liturgist
What I hate most about Oblivion was Twinfalls' retarded bandwagon posts about it seemingly every fucking day for 2(?) years. At least VD's were funny.

And that the fulfillment of the Codex prediction, that it would suck ass, lead to Matt1234 or whatever his name is joining the Codex.

Can't think of a third one so I'll have to say this thread right here.

Yeah so it's flaws of Oblivion's existence and not in the actual game. I don't care.

Xi

Arcane
Level Scaling, Loot Scaling, and Terrible (Faction/MQ/Game Stories - with zero cohesion to one another.)

Topher

Cipher
WalterKinde said:
Lol I had forgotten how much was promised in Oblivion with those preview videos.

Still the game does lack all that is listed, i have 360 friends who just can't understand why i don't like Oblivion, but these are guys who are used to JRPG from the consoles so to them everything in Oblivion is exciting and new when compared against JRPGs.

That sounds like everybody I know.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
Topher said:
WalterKinde said:

That sounds like everybody I know.

PC gaming standards
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Oblivion
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Console Gaming Standards

Cogar

Novice
1.Level scaling.
2.The lockpicking and persuasion minigames. Actually this applies to all RPG minigames by any developer or publisher.
3.Terrible, boring central quest. The bad guys are coming from hell to take over. Hmm, reminds me of Doom in 1993.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Amon Gesoto said:
Sounds like you're a little bitter; so you make other people's opinions into something lesser than your's because you youself have an inferiority complex.

Eh, don't take it seriously. Yes, what I am saying is silly, it is based on massive generalizations, and negative towards other opinions. I know it well enough when I was writing the post, and I don't need to cop out from it.

It's really more hyperbole than anything. Ultimately, I don't think anyone has to account for anything as far their opinions go. Let alone videogames. Rants like that are just me going along with the fun of the internet. Rants, for the sake of ranting. A little amusement for killing a little time.

Besides, it got a reaction, did it not? :wink:

User was nabbed fit

1) Awful and heavy level scaling
2) Linear missions
3) Practically nonexistent choices and consequences

I don't think there are any bigger problems than those three.

Amon Gesoto

Educated
Wyrmlord said:
Amon Gesoto said:

Eh, don't take it seriously. Yes, what I am saying is silly, it is based on massive generalizations, and negative towards other opinions. I know it well enough when I was writing the post, and I don't need to cop out from it.

It's really more hyperbole than anything. Ultimately, I don't think anyone has to account for anything as far their opinions go. Let alone videogames. Rants like that are just me going along with the fun of the internet. Rants, for the sake of ranting. A little amusement for killing a little time.

Besides, it got a reaction, did it not? :wink:

Don't mess with my ego-charged sense of reality, you fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom