Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter 5 Year Followup On The Currie / Barkmore Enigma

Which One of These Human Beings (and Neanderthal) Resembles Calvin Barkmore

• Ian Currie, HOMO Sapiens & Jagged Alliance Designer ... Was Clairvoyant About His Own Future

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • Cleve Blakemore, Neanderthal Prince & Author of Grimoire ... Undying Immortal Creature

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Neither, I resemble Calvin Barkmore

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Calvin Barkmore is every Codexer who asks for gameplay without combat

Votes: 55 52.9%

• Total voters

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
In the 1990's, Ian Currie decided to put a ridiculous looking character into Jagged Alliance as a thinly veiled reference to Cleve Blakemore.

barkmore.jpg

CALVIN BARKMORE, 340 pounds of lard, Mine Foreman and balding curmudgeon

How accurate was his prediction and was it based on his own uncanny vision of his own descent into madness as a professional vagrant + sandwich board marcher?

IanCurry_VagrantAtLarge.jpg

Ian Currie, 60 years old (?), 96 pounds wet, homeless drifter and frequently seen with squeegee at intersections & a pronounced comb-over

thal_triumphant.jpg

Cleve Blakemore, 59 years old, 280 pounds of muscle, Confirmed Steroid-Free Superhuman who can bend steel in his bare hands and outrun a speeding locomotive, heat vision trainee, frequently mistaken for 12 year old boy
(I don't think all those vitamins ran out in my urine like they always warned me would happen)

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Calvin looks like the dude in the homeless center in Veneta. This Ian dude seriously have issues with you? Wth? There a list of games where the devs wanted to mock others? I can think of Scorpia in MM3 only atm. Hmmm.... put a huge ass beard on calvin, and some of my scraggly hobo clothes, a spear in one hand and a bayonette (knife not the entire rifle with the bayonette) and it might sorta resemble me. Lil fat in the face though with a terrible retardo exptession. Eh wth. Close enough.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is that an award behind her? "CG"? That's not Computer Gaming World, is it?
I suppose it could be any one of these

• 2017 – Brenda Romero – Development Legend, Develop Conference
  • 2017 – Brenda Romero – BAFTA Special Award
Personal:

• 2015 – Brenda Romero – GDC Choice Award, Ambassador Award
  • 2014 – Brenda Romero – Fulbright Scholar / Ireland (6-week commission to study Irish game industry)
  • 2014 – Brenda Romero – Business Insider, "The 100 Most Influential Tech Women on Twitter" (May)
  • 2013 – Brenda Romero – Top 10 Game Developers of 2013, Gamasutra
  • 2013 – Lifetime Achievement Award, Game Developers Conference, Women in Gaming
  • 2013 – Lifetime Achievement Award, Nominee, Game Developers Conference, Woman in Gaming
  • 2013 – Forbes “12 Women in Gaming to Watch”
  • 2010 – Woman of the Year, Charisma+2 Magazine
  • 2010 – Microsoft 2010 Women in Games, Game Design Award, Nominee
  • 2009 – Train, Vanguard Award, IndieCade
  • 2009 – Train, IndieCade Finalist
  • 2008 – Women in Games: The Gamasutra 20, Recognized as one of the top 20 women in games
  • 2007 – Next Generation, one of only six “outstanding female game developers”
  • 2006 – Next Generation, “100 Most Influential Women in the Game Industry”
  • 2006 – New Radical, Radical Game Designer, Nerve Magazine, “The 50 artists, actors, authors, activists and icons who are making the world a more stimulating place”
  • 2005 – GamerGod.com, Top 10 Most Interesting People of 2005, #3
  • 2005 – Guardian Unlimited, Top 10 Most Interesting People of 2005, #5

When you're a loudmouthed woman they just hand out the awards like candy.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how Brenda's doing.
She released Empire of Sin 2 years ago, and the game bombed so fucking hard, she didn't bother to release the DLCs she promised, nor the oh-so-expansive and glorious modding tools.

Not that I care much about her "career", but I do enjoy that prohibition era style, and I was looking forward to her turn-based sandbox. But instead I got an overpriced, janky mess, with no mods to make it better.
And it's funny, because it seems Empire of Sin garnered the attention of a lot of based brothers out there, because the Steam product page for it is chalk full of angry people pointing out the mess she made.

So, no... I don't think she's doing particularly well.

vota DC

Augur
No Jagged Alliance 3 means Ian Currie was eaten alive by Dhalsim. Never trust a vegetarian, he will be Hitler or a cannibal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom