Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A bit of incline, Donkey Kong Country Returns

Felix

Arcane
Still wait for Nintendo fall conference to see if there is any new info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVq7XNV7K0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKuWfiD6nwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LhIBif4QkU

Being made by an American studio checked

Locate in Texas checked

Name Retro Studio checked

Metroid Prime goodness checked (save for Corruption because of that douchbag Sakamoto)

Donkey Kong Country checked

:love:

You can't complain about wapanese now :smug:

Lightknight

Liturgist
Eh, its just another Wii-exclusive or some such shit. I'll never see it.

Anyway, something feels really off. Jumping on enemies is somehow not as satisfying to see, and Donkey Kong doesnt even do a gorilla running animation, instead he kinda hops a bit sideways...wtf ?

Melcar

Arcane
Looks... alright. As long as it's more DKC1 and less DKC3 (and none of the horrible DKC 64), then it's all good.
And yeah, the only good SMB was the first one. Latter revisions started to get to serious business.

Pablosdog

Prophet
I assume you guys mean super mario bros and not super monkey ball right? If so, Mario 3 and World were much much superior than the first one, and have yet to have been topped.

LazyD

Liturgist
hay guys Nintendo is recycling an IP they've already recycled about 5 times

SURPRISE!!

:retarded: :M

Klaz

Scholar
They should make an actual Wario Land game, like the ones for the Game Boy. Now those were damned fun games.

^The Mario Party games fucked my controllers. To this day, the analog sticks look like limp dicks.

I remember borrowing DKC1 rom a friend. I forgot to give it back to him and spent a portion of the summer trying to beat it.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
^The Mario Party games fucked my controllers. To this day, the analog sticks look like limp dicks.

:D

Yeah, but those games, super smash bros and goldeneye were all great fun with 3 friends, good memories. By the way, there's a way to fix those analog sticks, I just don't remember how. Google it if you want.

Felix

Arcane
LazyD said:
hay guys Nintendo is recycling an IP they've already recycled about 5 times

SURPRISE!!

:retarded: :M

:retarded:

One more ignorant fucker tried too hard, it's been like more than 10 years and 18 years in SMB case.

Hope they will revive old school Zelda next

Felix

Arcane
The time between Super Mario World (4) and New Super Mario Bros Wii (5).

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Meh. I'm not all that excited about this. I'd been hoping for a new DK for a long time (I loved the originals on the SNES) but I was hoping for some sort of evolution, not just a rehash. There's this attitude that sidescrolling is inherently better than 3D as far as platforming is concerned, but I don't buy it. Sure, I suppose there haven't been as many great platformers in 3D as there have been sidescrollers, but look at the focus of 3D platformers. Most of them downgrade the platforming elements and make them adventure games as well. I suppose the premise was that if it's going to be in 3D, it needs to be free-roaming. While it certainly opens up that possibility, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. You can still get the linear fast paced experience of a 2D platformer in 3D. Look at the Crash Bandicoot games. They did exactly that, gave linear levels in 3D, and they were pretty fun too. You may also argue that since something is in 3D it can't be as fast paced as a sidescroller, but I disagree there too. Just because it hasn't been done yet doesn't mean it can't, and I'm pretty sure gamers can take it.

But I definitely see this sort of resignation with Nintendo regarding classic franchises. Okay, so people didn't like DK 64 as much as the originals, but that's because it WASN'T THAT GOOD AS A PLATFORMER. And rather than learn from their mistake and try to figure out how to do it right in 3D, they seem to have given up (Super Mario Galaxy notwithstanding). You see it in a lot of their games. Super Paper Mario. Kirby's Epic Yarn. Metroid: Other M. Super Mario Bros Wii. And now the new DK. I'm not saying these all won't be fun games, but it's nothing special either. In addition it looks like the new DK is being based largely off the first game, which is imo the weakest of the series. Anyway, I'll be playing the game, and like I said earlier, it will probably be fun, but it definitely isn't what I've been waiting all these years for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom