Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

about ME1

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
That was one of the games I wanted to play the most once I could play it and it's disappointing to see the writing is p. shit, I'm usually not bothered by that in games, but in the first few seconds it made me go :what: and then it happened again and again until I hurt my neck exorcist-style. The romanceable characters so far aren't even funny in a "hahaha how fucked up" way. But there is the occasional sign of redemption and I managed to have fun with the super easy combat, so here comes the question : does the game redeem itself, even just a little?

Any good sidequests I should be aware of? How does the second one compare to this game? How does DA:O compare? How much of a impact what I do in this game has on the second game?

I got to that ubercold planet that's apparently part of the main quest, the one with the super blu-whore where your ship gets locked up or some shit

LordDenton

Augur
Mass Effect is enjoyable only if you're a sci-fi fan IMO. If you don't like science fiction, the game just isn't worth playing.

For example, I enjoyed Mass Effect. However, when I tried playing Jade Empire (same type of gameplay) I got bored to death halfway through, since I'm not interested in ancient Chinese legends AT ALL.

Also, the romances in Mass Effect are hilarious IMO. I think I tapped Miranda's ass in Mass Effect 2 and it was so cheesy I was laughing throughout the entire scene. But it's all optional so no biggie. I just hate the fact that resources were wasted to create romances instead of adding a wider variety of quests.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Uninstall and never look back, buy NWN2 and the MotB expansion and just forget ME1. Same goes for pretty much every BiowarEA game.

Project: Eternity
Combat in ME1 is completely horrible, but I think some of the visuals you get in the endgame are worth playing it through to the end. The side quests are pretty much all terrible, apart from the Bring Down the Sky DLC which was at least somewhat unique. What you do in ME1 has SOME effect on ME2 though it's pretty much all "cosmetic".

circ

Arcane
M4BE1R0 said:
Any good sidequests I should be aware of?
Um no not really. It all boils down to go to location, shoot stuff, with the occasional oh I'm too lazy to code this quest so I'll just make it a quick delivery.

M4BE1R0 said:
How does the second one compare to this game? How does DA:O compare?
Same old shit. Even though they call it new shit.

M4BE1R0 said:
How much of a impact what I do in this game has on the second game?
None? Some examples, as I can't remember them all. Maybe it was just these If you save the rachnid queen, you get a Liararace character talk to you in the second one on Illum or some planet. She says she has a psychic message that goes something like - Yo, we are doing fine. How u? Signed Rachnid Queen. Second one is some e-mail from some shit. There's also the return of the fanboy from 1, doesn't add to anything, and I think the news reporter talks some shit. Council acts as if ME 1 didn't really happen. No joke, that's it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mass Effect 1 is fucking garbage. Don't waste time on that shit.

The combat is awful. The characters are boring (and awful). (Udina is the exception. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! Remember that meme? Yeah, pretty funny, huh? It was better than the Portal meme they used in DA:O.) The vehicle sections are clumsy and poorly designed. The story is standard BioWare "go to these four places and collect four things then go here and fight the boss" bullshit that tries to be pretentious. Sidequests are 1, go here and kill everyone in recycled environments, 2, find rock and do a minigame, or 3, go here and talk to someone. Fucking shit. Skip ME1 and move straight to ME2 instead.

Want to import a ME1 character so you get all the important choices? Either get the "comic book dlc" thing or follow my precise instructions:

Start up ME2, make a new character, play until you can save your game. Load the savefile in gibbed's save game editor. Make all the ME1 choices you want (don't bother with changing anything else as it won't register during the import). When you're done, find the EndGameState and check "LivedToFightAnotherDay". Now you can start a new ME2 game and load that savefile and it will check ME1 data. Play until you can save your game. Now load up Gibbed again and give your Shepard the power of money.

Baron

Arcane
ME1 had its finger on the awesome button.

My Fem-Shep kicked ass and stepped on a few fingers. I pistol whipped the inhabitants of the galaxy and stomped on their faces in a corner. I befriended Wrex, and lo, he shared my enthusiasms. This Romance began when he shotgunned a suspect I was interviewing and splattered his thinking matter all over my Normandy threads. Then I tongue kissed another woman.

I loved the music. Every ambient beat, every dramatic crescendo. I loved it even more whilst watching an Asari lap dance. I loved the Elcor. I loved my character's introduction - without a doubt the best I'd ever seen in a computer game. But best of all was that from time to time, the universe stopped... it turned to me, and asked me to make some serious choices. And I admit to feeling a little bit dirty about what decisions I made. But that's why I suppose that I was picked to be the SPECTRE. I could make the hard choice. Plus I was hot.

No, aside from some inventory issues, this game was fucking great.

I drank at Gilgamesh's Tavern in the early 80s, and Werdna was right, Trebor really did suck. I meditated at the 8 shrines of virtue. And I ran against Porphyrus Cadorna in Phlan. And it was pretty sweet for a 128kb computer, although I do recall it was mostly some pretty painful grind.

DA:O was alleyway abortion.

Deleted Member 10432

Andyman Messiah said:
Mass Effect 1 is fucking garbage. Don't waste time on that shit.

The combat is awful. The characters are boring (and awful). (Udina is the exception. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! Remember that meme? Yeah, pretty funny, huh? It was better than the Portal meme they used in DA:O.) The vehicle sections are clumsy and poorly designed. The story is standard BioWare "go to these four places and collect four things then go here and fight the boss" bullshit that tries to be pretentious. Sidequests are 1, go here and kill everyone in recycled environments, 2, find rock and do a minigame, or 3, go here and talk to someone. Fucking shit. Skip ME1 and move straight to ME2 instead.

Want to import a ME1 character so you get all the important choices? Either get the "comic book dlc" thing or follow my precise instructions:

Start up ME2, make a new character, play until you can save your game. Load the savefile in gibbed's save game editor. Make all the ME1 choices you want (don't bother with changing anything else as it won't register during the import). When you're done, find the EndGameState and check "LivedToFightAnotherDay". Now you can start a new ME2 game and load that savefile and it will check ME1 data. Play until you can save your game. Now load up Gibbed again and give your Shepard the power of money.
This. ME1 was a waste of 12 hours of my life. In addition to the horrible combat and shite vehicle sections, the plot is generic, the dialogue is off the deep end even for Bioware, and it has precisely no C&C. Do what the horse says: skip straight to ME2.

Radisshu

Prophet
ME2 was sort of stupid, but still kind of fun, though I can't play it for too long since most of the quests are "go to location X, engage in (somtimes preceded by an AWESOME RENEGADE ACTION where you shoot a guy up the ass and drop him off a balcony to scare his allies if you've got enough renegade points) popamole, engage in cutscene dialouge", sometimes combined with "solve everything using SPECIAL PARAGON/RENEGADE CHOICE".

TNO

Augur
If you are going to play it, do not do *any* sidequests besides Bring down the sky. All the sidemissions are generic and rubbish padding.

Gameplay is pretty stodgy and meh. For story etc., see the awesome narratological review in my sig. (Warning, occasional spoilers).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"it has precisely no C&C."

Please don't lie. It's beneath the Codex. Nah, scratch that, that's exactly what the Codex is about.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
LordDenton said:
Mass Effect is enjoyable only if you're a sci-fi fan IMO. If you don't like science fiction, the game just isn't worth playing.
I'm a huge fan of SF and ME managed to bored me to tears. Then again I have standards.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
LordDenton said:

This. That's why I enjoyed ME1 a bit more than it actually deserves maybe. If you are an atmosphere-fag and happen to like Sci-Fi flicks with an 80ies Action Movie Schtick, ME is good to go. I greatly enjoyed reading all those planet descriptions, listening to the chilling music, hell I even liked cruising around with the Mako on some barren planets, admiring the beautiful vistas. The plot in ME1 is not the best, but atleast it is not as cringeworthy as its successor. Hell, I didn't even discover those horrible romances in the first playthrough, so it's not THAT much in-your-face.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
What kinda fucked up stupid shit is that? If you're sci-fi fan you enjoy bad games? Is that it? Being a sci-fi fan has nothing to do with anything.

Also what WhiskeyWolf said. Standards, fucker. Get some.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
What's so special about the DLCs? Pinnacle station is shit right?
Volourn said:
"it has precisely no C&C."

Please don't lie. It's beneath the Codex. Nah, scratch that, that's exactly what the Codex is about.
Yeah those are some great examples you used to back up your argument

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Mass Effect has C&C but it's 1: C&C that doesn't matter and 2: C&C that show up in Mass Effect 2 (and doesn't matter).

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I love all the hatred coursing through this thread. The Codex fuels my rage against mediocrity.

ME1 is a great game for those who've never before been exposed to science fiction as a concept.

Meaning, 6-year-olds.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
M4BE1R0 said:
What's so special about the DLCs? Pinnacle station is shit right?
Yes, but BDTS was the best side quest in all of ME1. Take that as you will.

Also, ME1 > ME2. Again, take that as you will.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Seems as if most people who bother to voice an articulate opinion of Mass Turd state that ME2 is the superior game, but there is a silent majority that believes otherwise (there was a pool some time ago), which totally baffles me. I know there's a lot of autists on codex, but I didn't know it was that much. Some judge games (and most life experiences probably) so abstractly that what matters about them is their design concepts, not how the game plays. On paper, ME1 is indeed the superior game, because it has more going on. But when you actually play the damn fucking thing, it's so clumsy ; ME2 on the other hand is a pretty decent action game (Vanguard gameplay is great fun) - so I have no idea how you can think that the first game is superior, other than a severe case of autism. Oh, more stats! Superior game! I'm so smart, I refuse to play game without stats! Check me out guys, I'm building my identity on the games I'm playing! Teenage shit. It's just that bad, negroids. I'm willing to accept the worst of the situation, however

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Serious_Business said:
Seems as if most people who bother to voice an articulate opinion of Mass Turd state that ME2 is the superior game, but there is a silent majority that believes otherwise (there was a pool some time ago), which totally baffles me. I know there's a lot of autists on codex, but I didn't know it was that much. Some judge games (and most life experiences probably) so abstractly that what matters about them is their design concepts, not how the game plays. On paper, ME1 is indeed the superior game, because it has more going on. But when you actually play the damn fucking thing, it's so clumsy ; ME2 on the other hand is a pretty decent action game (Vanguard gameplay is great fun) - so I have no idea how you can think that the first game is superior, other than a severe case of autism. Oh, more stats! Superior game! I'm so smart, I refuse to play game without stats! Check me out guys, I'm building my identity on the games I'm playing! Teenage shit. It's just that bad, negroids. I'm willing to accept the worst of the situation, however

:salute:

You tried to add Serious_Business to your BRO list, but he is already on your list.

SoupNazi

ME1 made me care about the shit that was going on, I rushed through ME2 just to see how it all ends (on a cliffhanger FFS). ME2 is the better game but I liked ME1 more.

MetalCraze

Arcane
LordDenton said:

ITT LordDenton still believes that Mass Effect is sci fi

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
LordDenton said:
it would have to contain at least some science in order to qualify as science fiction (hence the name). mass effect is just futuristic fantasy with a hint of space soap and a lot of untapped space western potential.
it is mind-numbingly terrible to anyone who is an actual fan of sci-fi and those geno-cyberesque history flashes make it even worse.

However, when I tried playing Jade Empire (same type of gameplay) I got bored to death halfway through, since I'm not interested in ancient Chinese legends AT ALL.
you have no risk of running into any chincese legend references in jade empire either....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom