Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

about ME1

Esquilax

Arcane
All of this mental masturbation is retarded. The important question here is "Which game has more :yeah:?"

Clearly, it's ME2.

circ

Arcane
I only remember two but they were pretty fuck yeah moments. If the game consisted of nothing but that kind of shit I would call it the writing of a master. Stabbing some ugly fuck with an electric something something. Throwing some guy off a building. Well there were maybe some more but those were real action classics. Rest, boring.

torpid

Liturgist
Esquilax said:
All of this mental masturbation is retarded. The important question here is "Which game has more :yeah:?"

Clearly, it's ME2.

This is what I meant when I said that ME2 lovers were constantly going on about ME2's writing. Thing is, though you can cream yourself as much as you want over Renegade one-liners, you still have to trudge through lots of terrible combat to get them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I didn't find the combat any worse in ME2. In fact I found it much more fun, mainly because of the Vanguard special power.

TripJack

Hedonist
jesus christ why would anyone play that shit

skimming through the lp is way better let me assure you

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
torpid said:
This is what I meant when I said that ME2 lovers were constantly going on about ME2's writing.
Some of us are also eager to point out that the killing of enemies is much better done in Mass Effect 2. :)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
torpid said:
Esquilax said:

Clearly, it's ME2.

This is what I meant when I said that ME2 lovers were constantly going on about ME2's writing. Thing is, though you can cream yourself as much as you want over Renegade one-liners, you still have to trudge through lots of terrible combat to get them.

....while in ME1, you wade through terrible combat to get.....none of that. Hmmmm. Yeah, why is it Mass Effect 1 better than 2?

Coyote

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Coyote said:
Since the OP specifically mentioned writing: I also think that although the plot is worse in ME2, the overall writing is a bit better.
This, which makes me wonder why you agreed with SB, but whatever.

Well, I clarified in my second post that I was really only agreeing with the idea that while ME's gameplay looks better on paper, I find ME2's gameplay more enjoyable, so I'm not really sure what that has to do with the writing... ?

Esquilax

Arcane
All this Reaper shit was dumb from the get-go, so I don`t get the complaints about that sad excuse for an ME2 plot. Ffs people, this is Mass Effect, a sci-fi universe where invincible Mecha-Cthulus leave convenient weaknesses like having their entire invasion plan fucked over because they didn`t take into account that the race that they committed genocide on might happen to notice the back-door into the Citadel that they put there for no apparent reason (Oops!). But then again, the motives of the Reapers are beyond my mere mortal understanding so I might be missing something here.

And no one even questioned why the Keepers kept wandering around the Citadel at all! You see them all wandering around performing maintenance and mysterious operations all throughout the most high-tech piece of machinery in the fucking galaxy, yet everyone throws their hands up and says `Well, fuck it! We can`t figure out how this shit works, let`s let the Keepers do their thing instead of figuring out this incredible piece of technology that we seemed to have conveniently stumbled into!`

Yeah, ME2 is fucking dumb too, but it`s more fun and it decides to stop worrying and love the derp. I guess more capable writers could have made the Reaper thing into something that was less stupid, but it was pretty much unsalvageable to begin with. May as well make the sequel 90% shootan fightan EXTREME with a paper-thin plot about Human-Reapers or some such bullshit if what you have to work with sucks.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It makes me rage a little when retards consider a fantasy with magic spells flying around and ancient evil a "sci-fi". And use "sci fi" as an excuse for stupid shit.

You may replace space with medieval Europe and it won't change a thing.

Except for a name which will be Dragon Age now.

Esquilax

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
It makes me rage a little when retards consider a fantasy with magic spells flying around and ancient evil a "sci-fi". And use "sci fi" as an excuse for stupid shit.

I`m just using the term sci fi as short-hand for "space magic setting", I know that ME is soft sci-fi at best.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Andyman Messiah said:
Some of us are also eager to point out that the killing of enemies is much better done in Mass Effect 2. :)
If you enjoy cover shooting for 30h through identical corridors and spamming the same two abilities over and over and over and over and over, sure.

At least ME1's combat has the decency to let you go through it quickly. ME2 insists on dragging on through every single encounter. I don't even want to imagine how boring the game gets at higher difficulty, where enemies have more HP and almost all of them have shields and armor that you have to peel off, one layer at a time.

Ugh.

Coyote said:
Well, I clarified in my second post that I was really only agreeing with the idea that while ME's gameplay looks better on paper, I find ME2's gameplay more enjoyable, so I'm not really sure what that has to do with the writing... ?
It's a Codex discussion, everything gets mixed up with everything else eventually. All in good spirit ;)

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
MetalCraze said:

BROS IT MAKES ME RAGE WHEN FUCKING IDIOTS LIKE TO MAKE RANDOM UNITLELIGENT COMMENTS

MASS EFFECT IS MOST DEFINITELY SCI FI AND NOT FANTASY OF COURSE IF YOU EITHER JUST WATCHED THE YOUTUBE VIDEO OR HAVE A COMPLETE LACK OF BRIANS SORY BRO

BROS FORGET THE FUCKING QUALITY THE GAME CAME WITH ALL KINDS OF PSEUDO SCIENCE SHIT ABOUT THE MASS EFFECT AND ACCELLERATION ALLOWING FTL TRAVEL AND A SERVICEABLE EXPLANATION OF SHIT HELL THE BACKGROUND OF THE RACES AND THE POLITICS AND THE BACKGROUND OF THE TECH WAS THERE

BROS ME1 SET A REAL SORT OF SCIFI SETTING ME2 DID NOT EXPAND IT MUCH THOUGH

BROS MASS EFFECT MAY BE SHIT IN ALOT OF WAYS BUT WHATEVER YOU THINK IT DEFINITELY SET A RELATIVELY HARD SCIFI SETTING ESPECIACLLY IN A VIDEOGAME

torpid

Liturgist
RK47 said:
torpid said:
Esquilax said:

Clearly, it's ME2.

....while in ME1, you wade through terrible combat to get.....none of that. Hmmmm. Yeah, why is it Mass Effect 1 better than 2?

Because as I said earlier, bland third-person action beats sticky cover shooting every time. I could play ME1 as a standard mediocre shooter, whereas in ME2 I'm forced to engage in the "get into cover, pop up and shoot" routine. The point I was making was that you spend most of your time in combat, so the few instances of collar-grabbing don't make up for ME2's offensively bad popamole.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO HARD SCIF IN GAMES IS RARE TO COME BY

I CANT THINK OF ANY REALLY HARD SCIFI GAMES OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD STARFLUGHT STAR CONTROL WING COMMANDER NOT REALLY WHO KNOWS MAYBE I AM WRONG

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mass Effect is a "relatively hard scifi setting" :lol:

Wow bro you are seriously digging the bottom here.

I wonder what Heinlein, Bradbury and Azimov are then? Considering that their sci fi is mostly anything but hard.

Sorry bro but when you shoot a magical semi-transparent sphere out of your hands that make enemies fly into the air in slo mo it isn't sci fi.

Oh but it has space it's totally science fiction!

I CANT THINK OF ANY REALLY HARD SCIFI GAMES OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD STARFLUGHT STAR CONTROL WING COMMANDER NOT REALLY WHO KNOWS MAYBE I AM WRONG

Hahahahaha Wing Commander and Star Control are hard sci fi hahaha

Bro to be 'relatively hard sci fi about space' ships at least need some newtonian physics and no pew pew sounds. Hard sci fi is when everything is built around real life physics and facts.

Space Odyssey will be the most known example of hard sci fi in movies. There is no hard space sci fi that I can remember in games at all but some games tried to have some elements in their gameplay (I-War2 / B5 IFH)

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I HAVE READ ALL THE ABOVE

BUT YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW SHIT ABOUT MASS EFFECT AND THE FUNNY THING IS YOU WILL SAY YOU DONT WANT TO AND DONT CARE BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR ONLINE REP AND PRETEND YOU KNOW EVERYTHING

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Element_zero
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Biotics
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/FTL_travel
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_relays

BRO ARGUE THE QUALITY I COULD GIVE A FUCK BUT THIS EXPLAINED MORE ABOUT THE SPEFICIS BEHIND THE TECHNOLOGY THAN ANY BRADBURY HEINLEIN OR ASSIMOV AND NO NONE OF THOSE GUYS ARE HARD SCIFI

THE MAIN POINT IS THAT YOU HAVE SHIT FOR BRIANS AND WILL NEVER ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG AND OFTEN HAVE NO IDEA WHAY THE HELL YOU ARE POSTING ABOUT BRO GO PLAY THE HARD SCIFI CLASSIC KOTOR AGAIN

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Hahahahaha Wing Commander and Star Control are hard sci fi hahaha

Bro to be 'relatively hard sci fi about space' ships at least need some newtonian physics and no pew pew sounds. Hard sci fi is when everything is built around real life physics and facts.

BRO AND LEARN HOW TO FUCKING READ MY POSTS I RAMBLE THROUGH YOUR BULLSHIT WITH DECENT COMPREHENSION

MetalCraze

Arcane
So if explanations use a lot of smart words that are not connected to reality (especially FTL travel which is considered impossible in scientific world) but sound cool - it's "hard sci fi"

Bro sorry to shit in your soup but by calling Wing Commander, a game where ships have physics of a Doom guy - a 'relatively hard sci fi' you are proven that you know shit about sci fi.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO LOLLOLOLOLL DUMBASS NEWTONIAN PHYSICS ISNT HARD SCIFI LOLOLOLOLOLOL

BRO RELATIVITY BRO LOLLOLOLLOLLOL BRO YOUR BRIAN IS UNDERNURISHED

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I SAID WING COMMANDER WAS NOT REALLY HARD SCIFI

BRO MASS EFFECT IS A POOR APPROXIMATION OF HARD SCIFI BUT CAN YOU FIND ANYTHING HARDER IN A VDIEO GAME LOLLOLLOLLOLOLOL

BRO I JUST YELLED THE SAME THING AT MY DOG AND IT UNDERSTOOD IT AS MUCH AS YOU DO LOLOLOLOL

MetalCraze

Arcane
If it has no physics how can it be 'science' fiction?

Bro, ME isn't an approximation of anything.

I can throw smart science words together too. However it won't make the magical Element Zero or whatever that shit is that gives magical spells to ME magicians an approximation of hard sci fi. It will just make it sound pretentious.

But I guess it's enough for morons who will then argue how hard ME is.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO OH YEAH LOTS OF HARD SCIFI IS MAKING UP SHIT WITH BIG WORDS

BRO UNLESS WE CAN REALLY TRAVEL FASTER THAN LIGHT WITH ANYTHING REMOTELY PROVEN IN PHYSICS OR TRAVEL TO ALTERNATE UNIVERSES ETC

BRO LOLLOLLOLLOL I AM HURTING YOUR LITTLE TINY BRIAN

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO LLOLLOLOLLOL DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PHYSICS EINSTEIN TRUMPED NEWTON BRO

LOLLOLOLLOL ANYONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT HARD SCIFI MUST KNOW ABOUT RELATIVITY BRO IT HAS ONLY BEEN AROUND A HUNDRED YEARS

OLOLLOLLOLLOL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom