Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ad Banners - About & Problem Reports

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The "Mom Makes Botox Doctors Furious" ad has a picture that looks a lot like one of Crispy's old avatars, each time I have nightmares of seeing Crispy at the top of the screen. Please DU hurry with the ad-free months that you promised.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Might not have been removed from the system yet when you posted... still getting it now?
I still get it, checked it from another pc.
I bet most if not all Russians get it, and I know there are plenty of us here, don't know why nobody else is complaining.

kazgar

Arcane
I've been trying to access rpgcodex front page on my android in the last few days, and its currently unusable due to ads. This is what happens:

cUUTnU7.png

I've zoomed out here to get the full effect, if you zoom in to read the text, the box increases in size to cover most of an article.

While I understand the need for ads. There's no video to watch and the sponsor link doesn't work. There's no actual way to remove the box even if i wanted to look at an ad. android doesn't have adblock so its not in effect (you can see sidebar ads in shot above)

Its just a shit ad which makes all the front page useless and means I can't read the warhorse interview and other things of note. Haven't looked at the forum recently but from memory it was ok.

Not sure if i'll be able to provide source as the phone browser isn't fully featured.

Thanks

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I have no idea what the heck that ad is from even... can you click through anything or view the source so we could determine where it's coming from? I think it might be the one that only unregistered/logged out users get.

Does your ad-free Patron access not work on mobiles or something? You shouldn't see any ads...

kazgar

Arcane
Just noticed the Picture's a bit weird as it has the youtube flash plugin behind it.

Just played a bit more and noticed the following:

- goes away if i log in on the front page, comes back if I log out again.
- goes away if i'm logged out, and set my user agent to a desktop brower. (defaults to android)
- stays there if I set my user agent to iphone (logged out)
- stays there if I set my user agent to ipad, however it seems to loads some html5 controls (a youtube like play/pause/time bar) and if you click them it disappears. (logged out)

I saved the file and transferred it to pc, couldn't recreate it, text doesn't appear in html source, so its probably loaded it.

So it looks like a ad network thing, but its picking up the browser and adding popups? But then not handling them correctly in all cases?

gromit

Arcane
I just tested in Chrome -- had SOMETHING hit the pop-up blocker. What browser is that kazgar, Dolphin? I'm going by color alone.

More distressing is that middle-clicking on any link on the front page, when the "between page ad" wishes to fire, overrides the browser and makes the new page (well, first the ad) open up in the same tab instead of a new one... but I seriously doubt that's anything you guys are allowed to do anything about.

kazgar

Arcane
I just tested in Chrome -- had SOMETHING hit the pop-up blocker. What browser is that kazgar, Dolphin? I'm going by color alone.

More distressing is that middle-clicking on any link on the front page, when the "between page ad" wishes to fire, overrides the browser and makes the new page (well, first the ad) open up in the same tab instead of a new one... but I seriously doubt that's anything you guys are allowed to do anything about.

Yeah that dolphin, doesn't give me a lot of tools for working out what's what.

Signing in does help get around it, but for those without ad free it seems pretty high impact and awful, though using portable browsers could be considered next gen bullshit.

Wonder what comes up on a ipad or android tablet, the bigger screen may allow for a better context to find the culprit.

gromit

Arcane
I'll give it a better look later on. Both use webkit, but since you hint at wanting some tools, FYI Chrome desktop can "element inspect" Chrome mobile via Android Debug Bridge. Hopefully it's something that just needs some CSS thrown at it; I've done such for DU before and he's been a good sport about including it in the sheets. If it's scripting from the ad agency... well, you're fucked.
though using portable browsers could be considered next gen bullshit
Close: Tapatalk is next-gen bullshit. The Wikipedia app is an even grander, steamier piece of flaming "why?" Mobile browsers are scarcely different than their desktop counterparts these days, and m.domainname.com solutions need to die painful deaths.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I'm getting these POS pop-ups every time I click any link (like the next page, topic list, profile link, post message button etc.) either instantly after clicking it or after the new page loads and I click anywhere for the first time on it, far more intrusive than the regular codex pop-ups I sometime get (usually on the main page):

POSad.png

link:

http://a.tribalfusion.com/p.media/a...nV0VjynEBR3F3TWUBFUA7lsG1EhM/3792496/pop.html

Also this whole thing reeks of malware, supposed malware lists do mention it as being a source. Key word is supposed as I do not know how legit those sites were, but considering how awfully annoying this ad is (and the install into your browser part) I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yea, I've seen this one too. Just took out the ads that I think were causing it.

Edit: or not... now another ad is spawning it. Grr...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm still waiting for my ad free codex after donating 50 clams to the Project Eternity drive...fucking Mensa shirt wearing balding bastard too the money and ran.

I've just had a Google AdChoices video that automatically plays (with audio) advertising some movie called Lawless

I also saw another one earlier which automatically played a muted video about commodity prices.

Let me know if you need more info (I was so disgusted I closed the window automatically without thinking)

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yea, I need what's listed in the first post, can't do anything without that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom