Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Advice For a Player's First (and only) BG1/2 Experience?

NuMystic

Novice
If your first play through had also been your last, what things do you wish you'd known which would have significantly increased your enjoyment of the BG1 and 2 games?

<wall of text alert>

No matter how spectacular a game is, due to time restraints and my being mostly story focused in my RPG interests, I will likely only ever play through BG1 (Tutu) & BG2 once. (including official expansions)

I am much more likely to move on to a game I haven't experienced, than replay even my very favorites, and I there are tons of well regarded titles I haven't played yet. (Planescape Torment and Fallout 1&2 for example)

So, I was hoping to tap the collective wisdom of the BG veterans in what you would recommend as far as mods (BG1 and 2) which were quite simply not to be missed for whatever reason... be it for content, mechanics fixes, gameplay, etc. specifically for a first-time, and more importantly, single-time player.

I started doing deep research, but found that there was just no way to figure out enough of this on my own without also reading a ton of spoilers at the same time, which I would mostly like to avoid.

Feel free though to include spoilers which will help me avoid the kind of anguish that is only cured by replaying the entire game with 20/20 hindsight. A few examples of what that means to me:

- A fantastic side quest or item not likely to be found by any completely new player
- Skill/spell choices that look fantastic, or at least sensible through new eyes but are far from ideal in real gameplay.
- A stat minimum that will cause major problems in certain scenarios if it's not met
- Basically, anything you wish a veteran had shared with you before your first run through, if you knew that it was also going to be your last.

Some additional info to help with your recommendations...

- I'll be doing a Mac EasyTutu install, and I know the basic drill as far as read me texts, the mod compatibility thread, and SHS, PPG, and G3 forums.

- I am only interested in mods which fit as seamlessly as possible with the original game itself. I am looking for the deepest immersion possible rather than the novelty and twists that are mainly to keep things interesting for replayers.

- Since I am WAY out of my depth with the game mechanics, skill trees, and combat system, I actually don't have a problem with being a bit overpowered. While I don't want a game that is challenge free altogether, I also don't have any interest in reloading 30 times to get past a low level encounter. That's enough to make me rage-quit a game forever. Endlessly saving/reloading breaks my sense of immersion, and if it's done enough can eventually feel like far more of a cheat than an overt stat tweak or power item.

- I have absolutely no problem with "cheats" that remedy tedious or mind-numbingly repetitive tasks. (especially those that can always be achieved eventually, and just require lots of button mashing, resting/re-attempting to be accomplished)

As of right now I'm looking at a BG1 party of "vanilla" NPCs (Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid) mainly since I've heard that BG2 will assume that's the party I had. And for the PC I'm leaning towards a Berzerker or Berzerker/Mage.

I'm also interested in hearing thoughts about the BG1NPC mod for a first time experience.

</wall of text>

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read all of this and I look forward to any wisdom or insights you can share. :)

bhlaab

Erudite
I wish I had installed the fix to tone down enemy spawns in my BG1 Tutu playthrough.
Also, download the fixes from gibberlings3.net

BG2 seems to assume that you had everybody in your party, no matter who you meet they seem to remember you. So it doesn't really matter.

Stay away from area effect offensive spells (except for Fireball) because the realtime combat seems to make them pretty useless. Enemies just move out of the way and your party seems to love moving INTO the way.

Stats don't really affect much of anything beyond combat. BG isn't exactly Planescape Torment. If you're a fighter cram everything into Str/Dex, etc. Only thing that matters outside of combat is Charisma for shop prices and only one person in your party needs it for the whole group to benefit.

Tycn

Savant
I'd make a sorcerer or wild mage instead, there's plenty of good melee NPCs but only one good pure mage, and mages are more fun. Make sure you install Spell Revisions 3, makes the magic system a lot more balanced. For BG2 try to avoid redundant spell picks, or spells with no save penalty and you'll be fine. Taking Sleep should allow you to breeze through BG1 easy (well, the AI kept screwing my party over with it).

The BG1 NPC mod is good, nothing out of place.

Overall it's pretty hard to screw up a character unless you made a fighter with 18 intelligence or something. The game isn't hard, you could easily finish it with a substandard party and if you get truly stuck you can turn down the difficulty. Just make sure you don't install any of the AI mods, they make things significantly more difficult.

Zuikov

Educated
Here's a list of the mods I recently used for a play through for BG1 that doesn't detract too much from the original feel.

In the following order:

-Easytutu:

http://www.usoutpost31.com/easytutu/

Read the whole page.

-Degreenifier

-Tutufix:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index. ... &Itemid=98

I installed the bg1 styles load screens, bg2 ammo stacks and bg1 style summoning spells.
From the same page you can find the restored casting sounds from bg1.

-BG1 Unfinished business:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index. ... Itemid=114

Most if not all are recommended. Sarevok's diary component is better to install from the NPC project.

Don't install these compononents if you are going to use the NPCProject:

Angelo Notices Shar-Teel
Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest
Coran and the Wyverns
Kivan and Tazok
Branwen and Tranzig

-BG1NPC Project

I recommended to NOT install the romances. They aren't especially horrible but I don't think they fit in that well. The NPC starting locations components arent needed either if you go with the canonical party. The accelerated banter script is highly UNRECOMMENDED also. It makes your party members speak too often. The music pack is not that good either.

-BG2 Tweakpack

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/index.php

Don't let the name fool you. This is important for both Easytutu and BG2.

Read the readme through while installing the components and make your own decisions. Here are some important notes:

DON'T INSTALL:
Breakable armor, helms and shields.
Exotic items pack.
Use BG walking speeds.

INSTALL:
Bag of holdings.
Alter weapon proficiency system. Go with BG1 style proficiencys + keep the weapon styles. Weapon styles should be kept simply because many recruitable NPC's and possibly enemies have points in them regardless of what component you choose here.
True grand mastery. As it was in BG1.
Higher HP on level up. I'd say take this also if you are going to reload in case you get a bad HP roll at level up. The NWN style is good.

-Spawn randomizer

The recommended settings found at the easytutu page for the spawn randomizer are good.

-TutuGUI

-Widescreen mod

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

Hard times is not recommended for the first play through at least. I didn't like it for my second either.

Ohh...mac...guess that might change things. Here's a thread about mod compatibility and install order...check the last post. There's some mac bits at the end.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122

bhlaab

Erudite
I'd actually suggest not making the player character a mage simply because if he dies it's instant game over (even if other party members are still alive) and the low HP doesn't really accomodate that.

NuMystic

Novice
Thank you all for the detailed responses thus far. They were all useful. (apart from Emotional Vampire's that is) :lol:

bhlaab said:
I'd actually suggest not making the player character a mage simply because if he dies it's instant game over (even if other party members are still alive) and the low HP doesn't really accomodate that.

Many other people have also suggested a straight mage is far from ideal for a first time player that is unfamiliar with the spell and combat system.

I also have zero interest in having a PC that has to hang back for the entire first part of the game until they come into their power. How pitiful mages are in the early levels is something that I DO remember from my PnP days. :)

That said, how would a multi-classed Fighter/Mage fare? I'd probably use the mage side to enhance the Fighter's melee abilities mostly in that combo. Also, since I am using the BG2 engine to play BG1, is a Berserker/Mage multiclass possible?

As for mac issues, I've checked the compatibility thread, and pretty much all of the most popular mods are available without conflict, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Dnny

Educated
Skip BG1 and play straight through BG2. Nothing of value will be lost.

Tycn

Savant
Fighter/Mage isn't ideal as wearing armour disables your spells. You also can't multi-class with kits so Berserker/Mage is out of the question. You could dual class however, though I wouldn't recommend it because you start from level 1 after dualling and only regain access to your first class' abilities after your second class reaches the same level as your first. But yes, you can use BG2 classes in BG1 with Tutu.

You could make a cleric. They get heavy armour and spell picks are automatic so you won't have anything to worry about. A multiclassed character is also likely to miss out on ToB's high level abilities which are pretty powerful.

I also agree that BG1 is inferior to its sequel in just about every way, though some people might enjoy low-level adventuring or a steeper gradient of power.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
I wish I hadn't started with BG2 before BG1. That is all.

NuMystic

Novice
Alright this is what I'm heading out with for BG1:

MacEasyTutu Installation, removed xp cap, the BG1NPC mod, the excellent recommendations above, and a few ease of use components. (stacked inventory items, silencing "gather your party", etc.)

Party composition will be:

PC Berzerker
Imoen
Khalid
Jaheira
Minsc
Dynaheir

Axes/Hammers for the PC and I'll make sure they all have proficiency in at least one ranged weapon.

If for some reason I find frontlining with the Berserker isn't enjoyable, I'll dual him to a Mage at level 9, but more than likely I'll play him as a Berserker all the way through ToB.

If these decisions bring up any other specific tips or thoughts, let me know.

I appreciate all the suggestions and insights. I'm looking forward to putting it all to good use!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
- A fantastic side quest or item not likely to be found by any completely new player

I would rather not spoil you those things. There is nothing interesting you can miss in BG 1 except some very rare bits of dialogue that you only get if you charm certain enemies, then talk to them. The prime example is the spider mistress who will reveal to you her backstory if you manage to use a Charm pell on her in the few seconds it takes to initiate dialogue. In BG 2, make sure you keep one of the expensive, multi-colored gems as it opens up a fun optional boss fight. Also, make sure to hang onto any golden bones you may find. In BG 1 and 2, if you ever are offered any pantaloons, keep them.

- Skill/spell choices that look fantastic, or at least sensible through new eyes but are far from ideal in real gameplay.

Playing a fighter is not dull as it seems since you have a nice large party. Most classes are fine. Assassins are difficult to use right, but it can be done.Two-handed weapons are incredibly good. Bastard Swords are awfully rare, just like Katanas.

- A stat minimum that will cause major problems in certain scenarios if it's not met

None I know of, though there is usually additional dialogue/quest rewards for high Charisma/Intelligence/Wisdom. Nothing too interesting.

- Basically, anything you wish a veteran had shared with you before your first run through, if you knew that it was also going to be your last.

The biggest thing I would want a veteran to tell me is "Do not use Tutu, play it as it came out, do not refer to any walkthroughs or guides and explore everything at your own time.

--

I do not like your party, but it is a good party. If you find yourself lacking magic power, dual-class Imoen into a wizard at some point later in the game. Khalid is a terrible fighter, perhaps you may want to kill him and take Ajantis instead, or even better, Branwen since you have no cleric and it is a good idea to have both a Cleric and a Druid, if only to experience all the spells and tactical choices.

Axes and Hammers are fine, a choice that will pay off greatly in BG 2.

Other than that, it depends largely on you.

Oh, here is something: If your reputation is 20, shops give you massive discounts.

Erebus

Arcane
Bows can be extremely useful, especially in the first half of the game, because you get a bonus to your attack for high dexterity and (if I remember well) you can attack twice per round.

Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen are the easiest companions to gather (except for Xsar and Montaron, but they don't quite seem trustworthy). It's the team I used (with a warrior-mage PC which wasn't such a good choice). It worked pretty well, although the lack of healing magic was a bit of a drawback.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Branwen can fix that. And good thinking about the Bows. The game was clearly designed around you using ranged weapons a good deal, especially at the beginning. Everyone should always be stocked on ammo and have a ranged weapon, everyone. Composite bows are a good purchase.

Derper

Prophet
I've never played the Big Picture-mod, which let's you play all the way through. Does it affect the balance in any way, ie let you start BG2 with ubercharacter?

Derper said:
I've never played the Big Picture-mod, which let's you play all the way through. Does it affect the balance in any way, ie let you start BG2 with ubercharacter?

You get stripped from all items at the beginning(but there IS an option to import a great deal of items from BG if you want) so all you really keep are the tome bonuses. The levels will help a bit, sure, but it's pretty much impossible to go over level ~13 in BG because the XP you get is so puny, and that was solo, so with party the limit is something like, 9(TotSC).

Derper

Prophet
Thanks! Will try to do a minmax-run one of these days. Should be fun. Recommended classes and development?

Aikanaro

Liturgist
I don't think much of your party composition - if it's your first and only playthrough consider mixing it up a bit - let party members die and stay dead or kick them out to try out new people. There are a lot of different NPCs in the game and it's a shame to only use those ones. Plus, Khalid is shit.

Sleep is a superpowerful spell at low levels. Use it gratuitously and you might survive. Spellcasters are generally more interesting to play with than fighters, I think - it gives a lot more tactical options.

Don't listen to the people shitting on BG1 - approach it with the right mindset and it's far better than BG2. Avoid the charge-in-die-reload cycle and approach fights using your brain. You can pretty much just keep reloading until you win by luck, but it's not any fun.

NuMystic

Novice
Okay, some excellent additional tips, as well as food for thought.

So, if something just happened to cause Khalid's untimely demise which of the following would you recommend based on both Party Balance and enjoyable personality:

Ajantis
Branwen (romance-able with the BG1NPC project installed I think?)
Kivan
Coran

And keep in mind that characters and story are what I get the most enjoyment out of. I'd like a balanced party, but I'll take personality over raw statistical power every time. :)

The characters don't have any banters or quests to speak of in BG anyway. Unless you use a mod adding them. So it doesn't matter, really.

Norfleet

Tycn said:
Fighter/Mage isn't ideal as wearing armour disables your spells.
This is true, but only a minor issue, as in the beginning, you don't really have spells worth worrying about, later on, armor isn't all that important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom