Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Dark Descent - real-time squad-based tactical action

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
They pretty much abandonded it like they did with Battlefleet Gothic, but to be fair, if you are not very unlucky you can complete the game without encountering any major bugs.

It's mostly ok although it should have received 1 or 2 more patches ideally. I think they never fixed some of the minor bugs, for example the icon overlays that show up after looting an ammo/health/sentry gun box will often not disappear and stay on the screen indefinitely. It's a cosmetic issue but still. It's a great game though.
That's unfortunate. The first real couple of missions were intense and scary as hell. I reinstalled it and decided to give it a go. If it maintains that intensity throughout the entire campaign it's on a different level. Unicorn Overlord is proving to be rather gay and boring. I need this game in my life.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I ignored it for so long because opinions on 'dex are rather negative, but decided to get it recently anyway and got hooked.

? Most of the opinions here are rather positive.
I think the consensus agreed that despite the shit story and some rough edges, it was a decent game, and probably more importantly, a weirdly innovative game that managed to capture the horror of the second movie.

ciox

Liturgist
It's fun to play, but being unable to control individual troops will drive you nuts, and replayability is all but nonexistent.
IMO gets better if you use slowdown instead of pause.

It was very nice of them to try and make a tactical game that is more pumpin', like Fallout Tactics was in continuous mode, but it also needed a little more work.
It feels like it's kinda late to announce additional content, and the game's construction also makes extra content awkward, they obviously don't intend for there to be a lot of itemization, and the campaign is pretty much complete when you finish the game. Probably gonna be a sequel or just new game in the same vein much later.

ciox

Liturgist
Not being able to control or at least be able to choose where to put squad members is what killed it for me.
I found it too annoying to deal with. That Montero ship mission can fuck right off too.
It led me to replay Tactics and appreciate it a little more for how it lets you control characters, jank and all, was a fun chaser.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
There are things to like about the game, but there is no gameplay progression after the first four hours or so. The weapon tree is barren and the skill tree is at least anemic. There is some enemy variety but I don't think the AI or behaviors present any kind of challenge.

I liked the presentation and some ideas, but the writing was idiotic. I think it will hold up better overall than something like Alien Isolation, because the mechanics are a little sturdier than the paper thin dioramas from that game and there's some kind of actual affection for the source material and ideas that bleeds through.
Alien Isolation has yet to be surpassed or even matched in terms of "invincible stalker" AI. REmake 2 tried something similar with Mr. X and you could immediately see right through his gay ass teleportation bullshit. Nothing comes close to the xenomorph in Isolation. Doesn't hold up my ass. It's like comparing the enemy AI in modern day shooters to what FEAR used.

orcinator

Liturgist
There are things to like about the game, but there is no gameplay progression after the first four hours or so. The weapon tree is barren and the skill tree is at least anemic. There is some enemy variety but I don't think the AI or behaviors present any kind of challenge.

I liked the presentation and some ideas, but the writing was idiotic. I think it will hold up better overall than something like Alien Isolation, because the mechanics are a little sturdier than the paper thin dioramas from that game and there's some kind of actual affection for the source material and ideas that bleeds through.
Alien Isolation has yet to be surpassed or even matched in terms of "invincible stalker" AI. REmake 2 tried something similar with Mr. X and you could immediately see right through his gay ass teleportation bullshit. Nothing comes close to the xenomorph in Isolation. Doesn't hold up my ass. It's like comparing the enemy AI in modern day shooters to what FEAR used.
The alien Ai breaks down the second you press the crouch button so I'm not sure what you're on about.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I gotta give this game credit. If you critique it purely as an RTS it's a piece of shit. But the fact that they managed to merge effective survival horror elements in and do a good job, it's a very interesting game. Not sure if there is another like it.

The alien Ai breaks down the second you press the crouch button so I'm not sure what you're on about.
Well I was talking about it's overall behavior compared to enemies in similar games. It's more realistic.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

Have you played amnesia the bunker? I haven't but I've seen people saying the AI in that is better than Alien isolation

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Have you played amnesia the bunker? I haven't but I've seen people saying the AI in that is better than Alien isolation
Nay, but now that you mention it I do own the game. Bought it when it was on sale me thinks. I completely forgot about it. It's gonna be a while before I get around to playing it. Still got alot of stuff to do in Dragon's Dogma 2 and then Stellar Butt comes out at the end of the month. Maybe I can sneak a playthrough inbetween. I'm assuming it's only a few hours long like the other Amnesia games. I typically find stalker enemies incredibly annoying. Isolation was one of the few games that got it right. It's gonna be hard to top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom