Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Dark Descent - real-time squad-based tactical action

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Dear devotees of the Darwin Era,

Firstly, thank you, followers, for your unwavering dedication and immense support. Contained within this manifesto are the latest advancements and enhancements made for the ascension of Aliens: Dark Descent. Our most committed guardians have worked tirelessly to bring forth the long-anticipated transformation.

In line with our promises, we present new campaign options:
The ability to disable the "Death Clock".
The option to skip the prologue mission onboard the Pioneer Station, provided it has been completed at least once.
We've also integrated an autosave feature that triggers when you exit the Otago at any moment, ensuring the preservation of your progress and any modifications made to your base and marines management.

Rest assured, our commitment to enhancing and refining our ideals remains unyielding. We diligently review your feedback and prayers to aid us in our endeavor to ascend to a superior form of life. Stay tuned for upcoming updates, and once again, thank you for your overwhelming support in our dream.

Best Regards,
Romain Clavier
First of Marlow's Followers
Darwin Era

Major bug fixes
Addition of a security to avoid the players from triggering the ARC tutorial while being in the Command Room narrative sequence in Dead Hills (Mission 1) which resulted in a blocker.
Amputated marines are no longer visible on the Mission Report, a message indicating the marines is in the medbay is added.
Improvement of a previous fix that was unlocking Olduvai (Mission 11) for players stuck at the end of Pryce of Deception (Mission 10).
Using the skill Incineration inside the ARC/APC will block the extraction and the movement of the squad.
Fix a crash that was occurring when a marine fell through the ground, got deleted by the game and the player clicked on the marine's card.
Fix of many blockers that could occur on the Cover tutorial of Berkley's Dock (Mission 2).
The attribute Smart Ass can no longer be proposed to the Tecker class.
It is now impossible to spam the RB/R1 gamepad button to do the first phase of the Sector Map tutorial in Dead Hills (Mission 1) to prevent a blocker.
Improvement of the performances when aiming with a skill.
The Psychiatric Care Unit is no longer accessible before unlocking it.
Addition of a security to avoid a blocker during the First Deployment Tutorial between the Prologue and Dead Hills (Mission 1).
The squad will now be teleported inside the defense room to avoid blocker in Harper's Hell (Mission 3)
You cannot extract during the Crusher reveal to avoid blocker in Dead Hills (Mission 1)
Fix performance problems caused by the drone in the Harper's Hell (Mission 3)
The objective "Get rid of the guardians" in Olduvai (Mission 11) will now trigger properly when deploying or redeploying your APC to a specific waypoint
Fix of many pathfinding problems during the last mission (Mission 12)
The marine panel will now correctly update the statistics of the marine when affected by an specific state (ex: Tired)
Improvement of the performances when exploding a barricade
Fix some cases where a mission can't be completed at 100% even when all the objectives are completed.
Fix of the lift during the mission of the "Tantalus Base" (Mission 08) where the lift may stay stuck once inside.
Fix of the lift during the mission on "Pharos Spire" (Mission 10) where the outside doors don't open on the first floor (Office Floor) after completing the objectives.
Fix of a crash occurring when a marine dies while interacting.
Fix of a bug where a marine can be pushed outside of the map resulting in a blocking situation (The marine is now teleported back to closest valid position).
General Stability Improvement and several fixes on various crashes.

Minor bug fixes
Being in the option menu was still counting in the mission duration statistic.
The lift that allows you to go from the Refinery (Mission 3) to Olduvai (Mission 11) will always be on the floor the squad is on.
Fix a cover that was not working in the Basement -2 in Olduvai (Mission 11).
The marine's animation will not loop anymore when spamming the validated button during the marine attribute selection.
Increase 'Stubborn' label font size to make it more noticeable when it's in effect.
Shelter icon will disappear if the door has been destroyed.
"Overloaded Deployable Motion Tracker" can no longer be interacted with after they explode.
Loading a save inside a trigger box no longer triggers all the events on the map.
Dead marines with the personality trait "Kleptomaniac" will no longer steal materials.
Aggressiveness gauge will be the same in the tactical view and when opening the map.
The Precision Shot now correctly makes noise when used against Eggs.
Reduced the ragdoll of "big" xenomorphs when killed by explosions.
Pressing "Confirm" a few times to extract marines will no longer leave the UI message on screen.
You can no longer interact with survivors through the Fog of War.
The C4 is now correctly appearing on the barricade at the end of the interaction.
Attempt to fix the Recon cloth movement when the active pause is pressed or released.
The Drone can no longer weld from its position, it will correctly reach the door first.
The Drone's welding now plays the correct VFX.
The Stop order can now also cancel Drone orders.
Tweaking of the Codex UI for better navigation.
Wheels of the APC will not spin during the descent to Omicron Dig Site (Mission 11).
Increase of the rat speed in Nuclear Protocol (Mission 5) to avoid the player catching him up and breaking the narrative sequence.
The animation of the UI when picking up a sentry will now be played correctly.
The Fog of War will be correctly removed when you destroy a wall and leave the room before the explosion happens.
The datapad shortcut will no longer open the Sector Map UI if it was the last Map mode that was open.
Fix some shelter issues on Harper's Hell (Mission 3).
Fix a spawn that was eligible for massive onslaught even though the area was not unlocked yet in Harper's Hell (Mission 3) creating a blocker.
Tweaking of the animations of Otago's UI.
Fix of a room where it was impossible to create a shelter in Olduvai (Mission 11).
Opening the map during the installation of a sentry will no longer make the ammunition of the sentry disappear.
Fix of the animation when opening the map.
Part of the UI could stay while the map was open.
Fix many collision issues across all locations.
Warriors can no longer jump on a marine that is welding a door to prevent the xenomorph from getting stuck inside the door.
The objective marker "Check your cameras" in Pryce of Deception is now displayed at the right position.
Fix the tooltip of "Tired" state in the Inspect Squad tab of the map.
Aliens will no longer get stuck inside slopes when dashing.
Making noise with a drone will now correctly set the Hive awareness to Detected.
A message will be displayed when a marine carrying a follower is outside of the lift but the rest of the squad isn't.
Moving the drone no longer removes the cover from the marines.
Marines' lights could be partially broken when carrying someone and after dropping it on the floor.
Fix some parts of the UI in the Otago's Armory.
The head's rotation of synthetics in the last mission (Mission 12) now works as intended.
Fix an issue occuring in some languages where the text indicates that a marine is inside the ARC/APC was overlapping the marine card.
Some texts were not correctly aligned in the description of the missions in the Mission Selection Screen.
A Marine in "suppressive fire" state can now perform a reprimand.
Moving the cursor outside of the Command Deck in the Prologue won't block the progress anymore.
Prevent an issue during Pharos Spire (Mission 10) where the elevator to reach the Security Floor could not work under specific conditions.
During the mission located on "Refinery" (Mission 03) fix of the doors at the North east of the map on the ground floor, where the ARC can get through a closed door.
Fix of the enemy position in every mission to avoid them being stuck in the environment.
Fix of the objective indicator of the mission located in "Pharos Spire" (Mission 10) indicating the wrong lifts.
During the mission "Pharos Spire" (Mission 10), a door of a building has been closed on the ground level next to the spire, to avoid the squad being potentially attacked from an ambush during a scripted sequence.
Fix of the marines watching in the wrong direction after going out of the Carrier.
Add security to avoid a crash occurring during the lift transition between "Berkley's Dock" and the "Montero".
Enemies stuck under the map can no longer block an interaction if your squad sees them.
Fix a crash occurring when the player uses the flamethrower and cancel it before validating it.
The player can no longer rebind the Left/Right mouse buttons to avoid blocking situations during the game.
Fix of the Marine's sight on "Dead Hills" (Mission 01) to avoid them being able to see inside rooms while being outside.
Fix of an issue triggering a game over if the last living marine of the squad is inside a Power Loader.
Fix of the "Massive Onslaught" GUI not displaying when loading a save made during a massive onslaught.
Fix of the cursor not displaying when the player has ordered a "leave mission" or a "redeploy" to another location and the squad is killed while extracting.
Fix of an issue when spam clicking on the cancel button above the marine inside a lift resulting in the cancel button staying displayed indefinitely.
Fix of a glitch occuring on the skill menu and interaction menu, where the error message displayed the wrong information if the player moves too quickly between the options.
The cinematics subtitles are no longer visible when disabled.
During the cover tutorial of the prologue, add a focus and orient camera on the cover position to reach, to avoid a blocking situation for widescreen users.

Lighting
The light displayed above the drone to better see it no longer cast shadow on the floor.

Localization
Fix of an objective that was mentioning the APC before it was unlocked in Berkley's Dock (Mission 2).
The Powercore in Atmospheric Nightmare is now properly localized.
Fix of the "Egg" Codex Entry to match the design.
Fix of some bullet points on the "Stress Factors" Codex entry.

Balancing
It is now impossible to redeploy your squad during a Massive Onslaught.
Improvement of the Praetorian behavior. It now makes a circular attack when passing through the squad.
The Synthetic bodies can longer be interacted with in the fog of war.
Flamethrower isn't blocked by explosive barrels anymore.

Quality of Life improvements
Addition of an option to limit the FPS on PC only (60/120/144/Unlimited).
Addition of a campaign option to disable the Death Clock.
Addition of a campaign start option to skip the Prologue once it has been completed at least one time.
Tweak some acknows to improve the pacing.
Addition of music in the marine deployment and the mission return screens.
Addition of an autosave in the Otago when returning to the main menu or leaving the game.
You can dismiss dynamic pop-up with right click.
Doors of a shelter will now have an icon above them to help players identify which one is required to be welded.
Rework of the Xenotech Panel to accommodate 11 slots.
The player can no longer leave the control mapping menu without resolving input conflict.
Marines ordered to carry or enter a Power Loader are no longer eligible to perform one of the following interactions afterward: place a mine, sentry, deployable motion tracker, tripod.

(Which ESL brown person wrote those notes?)

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
TBH fam I am not quite sure what the obsession with the nuke countdown is all about. You can take your sweet time and still aint no problem, judging from my own playthrough on Hard it would be fairly difficult to actually get nuked and it seems to me that having the limit there adds to the narrative tension at least a little. There is no procedural content anyway and no reason to return to the already finished areas (since the resources are finite). Its like the people nowadays don’t want to be put under even a symbolic bit of pressure...

Alpharius

Scholar
Yeah, finished the game with like 10 days left on nightmare cause i was skipping turns to deploy the best team with plasma weapons at the end.

Also without the countdown one could skip 100 turns to train everybody to max level and get a ton of supplies from engineers to unlock all the upgrades. :decline:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I already saw people in the steam comments complaining they can't turn it off for their ongoing campaign...bunch of pussies indeed.

By the way what are your thoughts on mines everybody? They feel a bit overpowered to me. Since they only cost command points, you basically have an infinite amount to your disposal if you have a bit of patience. It's quite easy to spam them all over the level or in strategic places while exploring. Mind you, I've barely finished the second level so I don't know about their actual usefulness in later encounters, but I think it would be better if they had a depletable ressource cost.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, mines are the most powerful gear in the game for sure, much better for stealth kills than sniper rifle even (as the explosions dont trigger alarm) and also very useful for killing Queens. I would always paint the map with them as much as possible.

If the mines cost ammo instead of CPs it would be a huge nerf indeed, but I dont see the devs doing it.

Yeah, making them cost ammo would render them pretty weak, since a single mine isn‘t really useful enough to justify that cost. Another solution could be keeping the current system but introducing a cap on how many mines you can deploy in a mission (or how many can be active at the same time). Somewhat artificial, but it would force the player to be more selective about the placement of his mines.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What's interesting is the rifle balance. The regular old Pulse Rifle seems to be one of the top weapons, while everything else is at best a side-grade. The smartgun of all things seems to be fairly weak unless you go heavily into extra ammo perks.

e: The stupid fucking railroaded tutorial on the Otago is still there. Fuck oooofffff.

Last edited:

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah, mines are the most powerful gear in the game for sure, much better for stealth kills than sniper rifle even (as the explosions dont trigger alarm) and also very useful for killing Queens. I would always paint the map with them as much as possible.

If the mines cost ammo instead of CPs it would be a huge nerf indeed, but I dont see the devs doing it.

On the flip side, even though they do not provoke instant detection, the noise of the explosion might attract the attention of nearby aliens/patrols. They also provide less control over the patrols. Sometimes, while sneaking, you might want to leave a xeno alive so it can wander off to the other side of the map. If it trips on a mine on its way, another one might spawn near your location.

The fact that they only cost command points doesn't bother me that much, but if you really wanted to redesign this mechanic, you could've made them cost Resources. It would make for an interesting decision - do you hoard your Resources to upgrade marines and buy weapons, or do you spend them during the mission to make it a bit easier?

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game is jank af. Facial animations are the worst I've seen in a long time. Sound mixing is all wrong. Dialogue is frequently drowned out by music, sound effects etc. It's hilarious how technically inept the game is. I'm not used to seeing such jank like others here. The gameplay foundation is solid though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Use more slowdown, the only way out is to defeat the attacking horde. Just play the scripted segment with slowndown activated. It makes it much easier to react. Remove the pause mode.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I notice they break the sentry gun and it needs repaired. This game doesn't have tactical positioning though. I can't place a marine next to the sentry gun to keep it repaired. This is shitty Xcom. The game would work better if it was turn based. Rtwp is a travesty.

Somebody explain to me why the marine refused to put the turret down. Give me a reasonable explanation.
Holy fuck that‘s games journalist levels of ineptitude, maybe just tune down the difficulty all the way down to story mode? You look like a 70 year old playing a video game for the first time in his life, what is your major malfunction? I‘m amazed you are able to turn on your computer without assistance.

Last edited:

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Somebody explain to me why the marine refused to put the turret down. Give me a reasonable explanation.
Holy fuck that‘s games journalist levels of ineptitude, maybe just tune down the difficulty all the way down to story mode? You look like a 70 year old playing a video game for the first time in his life, what is your major malfunction? I‘m amazed you are able to turn on your computer without assistance.
Still waiting for somebody to explain why the guy refused to put down the sentry gun... game is fucking broken.

Also XCOM is far more complex and tactical. I'd whoop yall's ass at that game. This shit is just stoopid.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So nobody can explain why the marine refused to place down the sentry gun. You know why that is? Because the game is BROKE. It shit the bed and fucked me in the ass, made me fail the mission and wasted like 2 or 3 hours of my life.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Okay I'm finally getting the hang of this piece of shit. I'm moving through the mission fairly quickly now and I'm not losing any marines. It's really not very difficult (playing on hard). Reasons why I went full retard:

1. The turtorial is shit and doesn't actually explain how things work worth a fuck. I had to basically learn everything on my own.

2. RTwP is very alien to me (no pun intended), and for good reason, and I'd like to keep it that way. Worst form of combat in gaming history.

That being said I'm kind of enjoying it now that I know wtf I'm doing. It would still be infinitely better if it was turn based. And it's kind of shallow. The whole thing boils down to "avoid the white dots". It's lousy stealth mechanics, and the only time it becomes challenging is when the game forces you into combat via scripted sequences. Nah I'll double down, XCOM shits in this game's mouth.

Most positive thing I'll say about it is it captures the feel of the film Aliens better than any other Aliens game I've played. They got that part right.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
He does have assistance. He calls his mom down to his basement to turn if on for him.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1150440/view/3716092146802969111
A Free New Game+ Mode Makes Landfall in Aliens: Dark Descent
We at Tindalos Interactive and Focus Entertainment have been feeling all of your support for our take on the always-terrifying
Alien
series, and we want to say thank you! We've been hard at work developing quality of life updates and meaningful additions for our strategic, real-time, squad-based, tactical, action game, and we're ecstatic to reveal
we're launching a New Game+ mode straight into
Aliens: Dark Descent
. This free New Game+ update is available now for all Steam players, globally. Get back in there, Commanders. The job isn't over yet, we've got new, treacherous challenges for you.

3feaf04864dbb00468349b2608be08191ff4e0a8.png

Save Humanity, One More Time.
With this intensive addition to
, you'll be able to restart once more after completing the game, and surviving the Xenomorph outbreak. You skip the prologue and your Marines carry over, keeping their customizations, traits, and attributes; all free of trauma and negative status effects. You will have to unlock your Xenotechs, weapons, and upgrades again, and you'll have the option to turn on the "Perfect Organism" and "We're Too Late" modifiers, which boost Xenomorph damage and raise the infestation level and amount of Xenomorphs respectively. We've also raised the level cap for your marines to 15.

New Game+ is not going to be an easy mission, but with your strong wit, tactical sense, and unwavering determination, you may have a chance.

1f52fb0b91eb959dd94daa3a05511ebde91690cc.png

Newcomers welcome! Hop aboard!
features a tactical campaign filled with tense moments, deep strategy, and terrifying revelations. As you explore our game further, you’ll progress in a complex story in an attempt to solve the mysteries of Moon Lethe. You will manage your squad in real-time and as a single unit, with Marines reacting intelligently to orders thanks to a unique system that dispatches them automatically on the field, freeing you from micromanagement. When the Xenomorph threat gets overwhelming, you can slow down time at any moment to focus on tactical decisions in the heat of the moment.

Marines are well equipped to alter their environment and deal with hostiles. The flamethrowers can be used to engulf corridors and block enemy paths. Suppressive fire is effective at slowing down your enemies and sentry guns are best used to survive tough encounters while making sure you don’t run out of resources.

Every run is unique as the Xenomorphs adapt to your gameplay. Every choice you make remains unaltered as you explore our extensive maps. What you’ll need to remember is that managing your Marines’ health and stress levels is equally as important as clearing objectives. And remember, when a Marine dies, they are permanently gone.

After each mission, you return to your ship, the Otago: a hub to heal and recruit Marines, to research and develop new tech that improves gear. With 5 Marines classes available - Tecker, Recon, Medic, Gunner and Sergeant - it’ll be up to you to assign a role to each of them in order to create a stronger squad capable of venturing deeper into Lethe and battling against an onslaught of iconic Xenomorph creatures.

0344d707a404e037a529845cbcbff2c164e15cbb.png

Whether you’re an
veteran or a newcomer, thank you and we hope you’ll enjoy this New Game+ mode.
is available on Steam.
Pick it up and try out the New Game+ mode for an extra challenge!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1150440/view/3716092146802960518
Patch Notes: New Game+ update
- DISTRESS SIGNAL -
Attention, this is a
Priority One distress message
from the survivors at Jackson's Landing on the planet Lethe. We are broadcasting on all available channels.

The situation here has escalated to a critical state. All lines of communication with governance and security forces have been severed.

The creatures we are facing grow increasingly dangerous, showing new capabilities for rapid nesting and expansion. The situation is desperate.

Some of our scouts have reported seeing a contingent of Colonial Marines engaging the creatures. They appear seasoned, experienced in combat, and potentially knowledgeable about the threat we are facing. While it is unclear how they are faring, any information they possess could be invaluable to our survival.

If this message reaches anyone capable of providing assistance, we implore you to relay our distress signal to the Colonial Marines stationed on this planet—or better yet, come to our aid yourself.

You are our last hope. Please, help us.

End of Transmission.

- This message has been recorded and will repeat automatically -

c9acbd355284891b5a458a3ba3a2081cb2c173c4.png

Major bug fixes
  • Fix of several occurencies of the Aliens instantly detects the marine’s squad.
  • The mission success is now forced, when the player deploys in a mission where all the objectives has been completed, but does not have unlocked the next mission.
  • The game is no longer saved when the player quit the game during the deployment cinematic to avoid a total loss of his squad.
  • Fix of a Crash that may occur when using a controller and spamming the RB key during the loading of the Otago.
  • The "Archivist" achievement will now correctly be unlocked when the conditions are met.
  • During the mission 1 (Dead Hills), removal of the Shelter inside Everly's Room to avoid a block when the player initiates a rest when the scripted sequence starts.
  • During the mission 08 (Extraction), add of fail safes to avoid a blocking situation where the objective " Enter the Research Center" does not complete correctly.
Minor bug fixes
  • "Claustrophobia" & "Robophobia" has been removed from the codex as they are not effects in the game.
  • Fix of the objective indicator that may not be displayed when loading a save.
  • Fix of the accuracy displayed with the wrong value on the marine statistics when losing the state "Tired" (Only display, the effect was not applied)
  • A player can no longer load a corrupted save.
  • A Corrupted save is no longer created when loading a save.
Optimization
  • Improvement of the framerate dropping that may occur when human enemies are patrolling.
Quality of Life improvements
  • Modification of the campaign completion calculation to fit more closely to the average time spent on each mission.
New Game+ mode
  • New Game+: The player have the possibility to start a new campaign in New Game+, by selecting a save from a previouvly finished campaign.
  • New Game+: Every marine may now reach the level 15, only in new game+.
  • New Game+: Marine's customization, traits and attributes are all conserved.
  • New Game+: Weapons, Xenotech and Upgrades have to be unlocked again.
  • "Perfect Organism": Add a campaign option to raise the attack damages dealt by the Aliens during the campaign (Does Not Need to be in new game+ to be activated)
  • "We're Too Late": Add a campaign option to raise the starting Infestation level during the campaign. (Does Not Need to be in new game+ to be activated)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom