Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Dark Descent - real-time squad-based tactical action

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
How do you make your guys hold their fire? When I try to use the suppressed sniper rifle every other Marine starts shooting at the same time.
Marines start shooting on their own when an alien detects you. To use sniper rifle properly the alien should not be aware (ie there should be this yellow line between it and your team that slowly turns red - as long you get a shot off before you are noticed you are fine), there isnt much point in using it on attacking aliens. I find it works best agaisnt the sleeping aliens or the patroling ones that have their backs turned to you.

On the other hand if you want all your marines to open fire on an alien, just left click on it (cursor will change to a skull).

ArchAngel

Arcane
How do you make your guys hold their fire? When I try to use the suppressed sniper rifle every other Marine starts shooting at the same time.
Marines start shooting on their own when an alien detects you. To use sniper rifle properly the alien should not be aware (ie there should be this yellow line between it and your team that slowly turns red - as long you get a shot off before you are noticed you are fine), there isnt much point in using it on attacking aliens. I find it works best agaisnt the sleeping aliens or the patroling ones that have their backs turned to you.

On the other hand if you want all your marines to open fire on an alien, just left click on it (cursor will change to a skull).
It one shots drones and many other enemies even through cover so sniper shot is always useful. More vs humans but you can use it vs bigger slower alien enemies as well.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bro I mean not getting into an elevator in case of emergency is like the rule number one. Great to see that USCM is so respectful to the workplace safety regulations.

Alpharius

Scholar
Decided to try it on max difficulty and was stuck at the end of the first map(dead hills) cause its hunted, onslaught, hunted, onslaught, two spawn points at the exits and no place to hide in the queen chamber, gg wp. :argh:
But then got a lucky xeno spawn after another reload and extracted with all the medkits and tools unspent.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Decided to try it on max difficulty and was stuck at the end of the first map(dead hills) cause its hunted, onslaught, hunted, onslaught, two spawn points at the exits and no place to hide in the queen chamber, gg wp. :argh:
But then got a lucky xeno spawn after another reload and extracted with all the medkits and tools unspent.
You can interrupt hunted (and make onslaught come slower) by welding yourself in a room.
Also you should be leaving Movement detectors all over the map so you can activate it as soon as you get detected or when you want to pass unmolested. Also if you leave them next to your ARM it will take care of everyone that comes there without starting a hunt.
You can do the same thing with your Turrets, set them up, activate movement detector and then go hide so everyone that comes gets killed by turrets and no hunt is activated

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Nuclear Protocol is where the training wheels come off. :shredder:
Clipboard02.jpg

Commiesaur

Novice
Finished on Nightmare. Really good base, but cries out for an expansion or sequel which gives it the Long War treatment. Last story mission was horrible, was expecting something a lot more epic for my A team of marines. The end of Atmospheric Processor was more challenging then the last real mission tbh, though that was a bit cause of Atmospheric Processor's silly gimmick.

Everything is there in the mechanics for a good freeform campaign. Instead of Cerberus Protocol artificial boom pressure, can wratchet up a bit the importance of infestation level (give you options to knock it down a bit with special objectives) and the obvious choice of rescuing civilians. Push through in a deployment, save the maximum. Delay a bit, maybe a mid-game research/resource cost to save those already implanted. Take too long, everyone dead. And leave you with options to choose between deployments, having to prioritize and balance different objectives, etc.

Also still a fair share of bugs, not stable enough for ironman really and the story moments don't help with that. But the potential is there. I can only hope the game has the potential for a more free form DLC or sequel that really expands on what is IMO a very innovative take on the genre and where the gameplay mechanics really match the world well.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wrote a review for the game, you can read it down below, or here, if you are interested.
In space, nobody can fix your bugs. Besides the fairly buggy nature of Aliens: Dark Descent, it is somewhat of an unexpected sleeper hit of the year. The gameplay, and general mechanics work well, and are clearly thought-out, which together with the visuals and audio creates a very nice Aliens experience. It truly feels like the movie when you slowly skulk the poorly lit and narrow space colonial corridors – then for it to suddenly switch from tension to high-octane action when your badass Marines with their cool outfits and iconic weapons open up on the deadly and terrifying Xenomorphs. It actually resembles Aliens to a fault, as it becomes a little too much familiar in the narrative. Seemingly, there is only one way to write games based on the Alien franchise.

Weyland is back at it again
The main story is focused on and around Maeko Hayes, a Weyland-Yutani employee stationed on a space station orbiting the planet Lethe. One day when doing whatever she does as a Weyland administrator, someone unloads Xenomorphs in the cargo hold, which as most of us know is a bad idea for the health of the crew. Chaos ensues, and soon the space station is overrun with angry critters. However, in the confusion, she notices that more of these cargo containers containing Xenos have been shipped out, and in desperation, she activates the Cerberus Protocol. This is some kind of containment procedure that makes sure nothing survives contact with the Xenomorphs to limit infection and spread. A rocket defense system surrounding the planet gets activated and starts to blast closeby ships into smithereens. While a civilian ship gets destroyed, the military vessel USS Otago survives the initial attack, but loses control and goes into a spin towards Lethe.

After a hard days work in the mines

The administrator
Luckily for Maeko, the military sent a boarding party to the space station, and by pure chance, she gets picked up by the Marines, which then together with Maeko follows their crippled ship Otago to the planet Lethe’s surface. From here on the real game starts, with you, Maeko, and Sgt. Jonas Harper of the Marines to investigate what the hell happened. Who unleashed the aliens on the space station, and why is the planet of Lethe already under siege by the Xenomorphs? As you might expect the Otago survives the crash but is badly damaged. In barely working conditions she will act as HQ during the investigation, much like the Avenger in Xcom 2. She is broken and needs repair, which also becomes an important part of the narrative experience.

Now, I don’t want to ruin the story here, but I can guarantee you that there is much more to it than this. Yet, as mentioned, it doesn’t take too many steps from the tale of Aliens. There is an idea here to make it stand out, but when you get to the end, you have basically gone through all the common tropes when it comes to this franchise. Weyland is bad and beyond greedy, weird scientists have no care for anyone, only progress – oh, and don’t forget, we got the crazy synths too! It just seems to me, that these games will forever be made in the mold of Aliens – for both good and bad.

Good, as the setting is extremely cool, and it’s always nice to be able to recognize stuff from the movies. Bad, as in beyond the setting and atmosphere – why must everything follow the same old story beats? I don’t get it, I think I have experienced this storyline about a dozen times now in every media related to Aliens. So to be fair, it’s not only the games. Maybe it’s one of those franchises that just have one type of story in them, considering how terrible both Prometheus and Alien: Covenant is.

Regardless, the narrative works for the setting, even if it has been seen and done before. Some stuff does feel a bit silly, though, which has the effect of undermining the seriousness of the story, and the situation in general. It becomes a little too much “comic book”. The ending mission is one of these moments, unfortunately. More than that I will not say, but I have to mention it, because it’s one of those endings that work, yet, how it goes down is perplexing.

It’s messy, but effective!

Spray and pray
I’m glad I got away from there
We are in luck, though. While the story might be one big feeling of Deja vu, the gameplay is excellent and makes up for the bland narrative. The whole thing works a bit like X-com in the sense that you run operations from a base, there you also do research and equip your men. Over time your Marines and equipment get better, which will have you pick their weapons and perks – all the good stuff to create the ultimate badass. The main difference here is that the game is real-time, while Xcom is turn-based. You can say that the combat reminds more of the Men of War series, in both look and function, while the base orientation is more in the style of X-com. Now, since it’s Xenomorphs you will be killing (for the most part) a huge deal of the gameplay is stealth. See, each time you engage the aliens, the queen mother gets angry and sends bigger and meaner Xenos after you. This is unsustainable, as you will run out of ammo, medkits, and sanity eventually.

However, each mission can be tackled as many times as you want, which means you can evacuate your soldiers from the operation area while keeping your progress as it is. Gun turrets, doors that you have wielded shut, and stuff like that will be a permanent thing on each map. You and your men will return fresh to do battle each time, with the alien queen having calmed down – all the way down to easy. You really don’t want to make her mad for long. When danger levels reach high, you better bug out quickly, because she will send some truly nasty and hungry stuff after your Marines. This aspect is very cool, and plays into the game perfectly, as being a commander is more than just egging your men on, it’s also deciding when to give your soldiers a break.

Remain quiet
The sneaking is rather simple, as most times you just have to dodge out of sight of the enemies. However, it’s very tension-filled since if an alien spots you, you are not only in for the fight with that specific alien, but all the Xenos nearby who are connected to the hivemind. In the beginning, it might not be seen as much, but as earlier stated, every encounter will drain your resources. Ammo and leadership you can always overcome, but these dramatic meetings will also affect the psyche of your men. Dodging Xenomorphs for hours on end is just too much for the fragile human mind! If you keep your Marines in the field for too long they will develop psychological issues. I had one guy develop a terror for fire, so every time someone in my squad used the flamethrower he panicked like a scared little boy, like someone torched his favorite teddy bear.

Does anyone want fried alien?

Hello Dave
It’s all very cool stuff, and these mechanics work well together to create a true Aliens™ experience. It does feel like you are commanding your squad like Lieutenant Gorman from your command vehicle. The game also has a perma-death system, and the only time Aliens: Dark Decent forces a reload is when the whole squad gets chewed up. In the normal save mode, the game saves at crucial moments, which makes it very easy to reload if something goes wrong. However, it also comes with a more ironman-orientated save system that only saves your progress on missions while resting in saferooms. I highly recommend using this system, as it increases the tension tenfold during operations, and forces you to live with your mistakes. I had a couple of guys die on me, which sucked, but overall it made the experience so much more intense. I had to carry out another dude because he lost his leg. These dramatic moments etch themselves on my mind like glue, and I appreciate every one of them. It’s what makes gaming great in my opinion, and I wish more games had these kinds of systems in place that create memorable gameplay and narrative memories on the fly.

When the crap hit the fan, so to say, the combat is great and hectic. Luckily, the game slows down when you hit the space key, which gives you time to give orders. Beyond shooting, your men won’t do much on their own, and here is where you come in. Depending on class, weapons, and equipment, you get to pick what to use and how. However, like most things in Aliens: Dark Decent this also comes with a limit. You can only give so many orders before you exhaust your officer. It’s fairly realistic too, considering that micro-managing your military units is a big no-no, and only opens up for confusion. I think this system represents it well, even if it’s mostly for gameplay balance.

Bugs!
Sadly, the game got more bugs than just Xenomorphs, as it is very prone to crashing. I had to replay one mission four times before it let me finish it. I thought my run was over at that point, but thankfully it let me ride the damn elevator the fourth time. Other bugs are having units getting stuck on the terrain (even the aliens), units that stop responding to commands, Xenos dying in odd poses, and weird statistical glitches that seem to affect the attributes of different units. These problems will probably get fixed eventually, but it’s never a good thing having these kinds of crippling bugs show up during the campaign. And I got away easy compared to some stuff I have been reading about on the forums.

Weyland sure can build, before they infect it with Xenomorphs

Graphically the game looks fantastic, everything you might have picked up on from the Aliens movie is here, from the specific architecture of the colonies, to units, weapons, and of course the aliens. If that is not enough, the animations are great too, they just feel right, especially the minor mannerisms of the Marines – how they move and shoot walking through the corridors. Aliens: Dark Decent also have plenty of cutscenes. The style of these scenes has a lot sharper angles to them, much like the modern Deus Ex games, creating a bit of a comic-book flair to the presentation. Sound, voice-acting, and music are all good too, as most of the effects are directly taken from Aliens. The beeping from the motion tracker is such an iconic sound by itself, however, some of the magic runs a little thin since this is not the first game based on the Alien franchise.

While I had a really good time playing Aliens: Dark Decent, the main mistake of the game is having a strictly linear narrative campaign that unfortunately will play out the same way each time. It’s a big shame because as mentioned the systems developed and used in it are excellent. If the campaign was a little more sandbox, with a bit more freedom given to the player on how to tackle the missions, I think Aliens: Dark Decent would have been a clear hit that would be played for years. Now, while the story works, it does put a limit on repeatability. Besides that, the game is good for what it is and is definitely an unexpectedly fun experience that I highly recommend getting for at least one playthrough, especially if you dig the Alien franchise.

Thanks for reading.

Good game, but unfortunately it has issues, which we have talked about here in the thread.

randir14

Augur
I beat it today, I'd give it an 8.5/10 due to bugs and annoying repetitive squad voice lines. But the gameplay itself was very enjoyable, I hope they make a sequel.

ciox

Liturgist
That moment when you're suddenly surrounded by eggs and you forgot that spamclicking move orders actually makes your marines SLOWER.

Alpharius

Scholar
so is this worth getting? are they fixing bugs patches coming?
Yup. The bugs aren't very annoying, got the one where marines refuse to hold fire and shoot everything on sight and the one where they can't rest once or twice and that's it. The devs supposedly fixed the bug where marines got stuck.

Alpharius

Scholar
Finished it too, pretty decent game. Got repetitive at the end but maybe that cause i was sneaking too much.
No ammo shortages & all missions can be finished in one go on max difficulty after getting the silenced sniper rifle if you're always sneaking.

ciox

Liturgist
Finished it too, pretty decent game. Got repetitive at the end but maybe that cause i was sneaking too much.
No ammo shortages & all missions can be finished in one go on max difficulty after getting the silenced sniper rifle if you're always sneaking.
Is that with a team of all recons or something?

Alpharius

Scholar
No, one is enough. There is no cooldown on skills so one can silently eliminate any number of enemies if there is enough command points.
I mean that if i dont attack any enemies non-silently if at all possible then there is more than enough ammo, hive awarness usually stays at easy at the end of the mission and stress is low. Though its easy to reduce stress with resting anyway.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, one is enough. There is no cooldown on skills so one can silently eliminate any number of enemies if there is enough command points.
I mean that if i dont attack any enemies non-silently if at all possible then there is more than enough ammo, hive awarness usually stays at easy at the end of the mission and stress is low. Though its easy to reduce stress with resting anyway.
On highest difficulty stealth playstyle is much harder as patrols respawn fast after you kill them.

ciox

Liturgist
Without the ability to micro the recon, this would take forever though, firing line constantly blocked and all that. This is why I still want to try a team of recons at some point.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Without the ability to micro the recon, this would take forever though, firing line constantly blocked and all that. This is why I still want to try a team of recons at some point.
That would be a bad idea, there is a bunch of set battles where you need grenade launchers and other weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom