Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol gameplay video at IGN

oscar

Arcane
I sometimes don't get the Codex. The Codex has been bagging on and criticising this game for as long as it's been announced then the developer shows up and only skyway bothers to actually confront him.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
skyway said:
OK I was wrong in this one with AP, that still doesn't mean it is any less dumbed down as it still makes aiming easier as you basically know when exactly to fire to get best results and the aforementioned "bigger circle - bigger dispersion" mechanics is still there. What was wrong with the simple aiming cross?
Now you're just trolling. That's the way it worked in Deus Ex and Bloodlines, and nobody ever complained about it; in fact, it's something people actively praised. Now shut the fuck up.

elander_

Arbiter
What's there to criticize? The aiming method works just like DeusEx. The only difference is the overlay is a full circle in AP and a DeusEx uses four marks. Skill determines how big is the spreading area. With an higher skill the circle becomes smaller meaning you have a bigger accuracy and your bullets won't miss so much. You still have to aim correctly but that's how it works in fps/rpgs.

Would you rather have something like System Shock where the amount of damage a weapon does depends on your character skill? Personaly i prefer the way it works with DeusEx.

Qwinn

Scholar
Either the camera has to jerk to simulate recoil, or the reticule does. It makes more sense for the reticule to do so, but I assume qwinn knows that, and was just generalizing.

Yeah, that is indeed another option, but I'd find it similarly annoying. When that happens, you've gotta sit through every battle trying to realign the jittering jerking reticule with the target? Ugh. Talk about twitch gameplay. Hours and hours and hours of this does not sound like fun. Simply having the reticule represent where you're -aiming-, and letting your accuracy rating and all the other factors determine where the bullets actually spread, sounds like a pretty damn good alternative to me, so I really don't see what the bitching is about.

Qwinn

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
oscarisaiah said:
I sometimes don't get the Codex. The Codex has been bagging on and criticising this game for as long as it's been announced then the developer shows up and only skyway bothers to actually confront him.
I think most of the naysayers don't see the point. After all, you should only talk to them if you think they will actually listen to you. Otherwise you're just bitching.

Kraszu

Prophet
Qwinn said:
Yeah, that is indeed another option, but I'd find it similarly annoying. When that happens, you've gotta sit through every battle trying to realign the jittering jerking reticule with the target? Ugh. Talk about twitch gameplay. Hours and hours and hours of this does not sound like fun.

Strike force mod for Unreal Tournament had recoil. I am not sure if aiming dot even moved from the middle but your gun definitely did so you had seen where you will fire, it was impossible to correct it precisely so you had to shot with small burst (the longer you were shooting the more gun was moving so it was harder and harder to continue aim).

Suchy

Arcane
The targetting sounds ok. It worked in Deus Ex and I believe it will work here as well. Now... is it possible to disable those arrows over enemies and their health bars? And can I PLEASE have my FPP switch?
Dialogue system looks terrible though. What's wrong with old good dialogue trees? Reading a multi-word sentence would be too much for a casual gamer or what?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hümmelgümpf said:
skyway said:
OK I was wrong in this one with AP, that still doesn't mean it is any less dumbed down as it still makes aiming easier as you basically know when exactly to fire to get best results and the aforementioned "bigger circle - bigger dispersion" mechanics is still there. What was wrong with the simple aiming cross?
Now you're just trolling. That's the way it worked in Deus Ex and Bloodlines, and nobody ever complained about it; in fact, it's something people actively praised. Now shut the fuck up.

w0rd.

Suchy said:
Dialogue system looks terrible though. What's wrong with old good dialogue trees? Reading a multi-word sentence would be too much for a casual gamer or what?

Apparently Obsidian felt it was NEXT GEN! Or something. And agreed, i'd rather see actual dialogue, but I dunno, I'll give it a try when it comes out and then I'll see if I like it or not. Sounds/looks terrible in theory though. Since I'm fairly sure that the in game dialogue will be fucking awesome (<3<3<3MCA<3<3<3) maybe it will be ok.

Suchy

Arcane
It's pretty much the same as for Indigo Prophecy - one word responses with limited time to choose. Didn't like it back then and I doubt I'll like it now. I understand that Obsidian wants to get movie-like feel but this is too big sacrifice of actual dialogue. It would be enough if the player could click the answer before the NPC finished speaking, so the PC's line would be played immediately. I want to know what my dude will say when I choose the answer and I hate time limits.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Suchy said:
It would be enough if the player could click the answer before the NPC finished speaking, so the PC's line would be played immediately. I want to know what my dude will say when I choose the answer and I hate time limits.

Yea that's what Mass Effect did, to create their so called "movie experience", which I felt worked well (for Mass Effect). It made conversations stream well, just like one fluid cut-scene. I understand why Bio implemented that.

IIRC Obsidian's new stance system was made by our beloved V:TM guy, Brian Mitsoda (who sadly, doesn't work there anymore).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Meh, if they really wanted the dialogues to be 'dynamic' they shouldn't have made them ALL have time limits. I mean, regular conversations where you ask someone for a friggin cup of tea shouldn't be limited, only the ones that require a quick reaction, like, responding to a 'what the hell are you doing here?!' type of guard.

Tigranes

Arcane
Fuck me, it's skyway.

Targeting looks fine, and the UI will be as well if you can turn off those health bars and HERE I AM arrows. You could turn off markers / circles in IE and in Aurora so that's probably the case.

I still say dialogue trees are better than any other stuff devs have come up with recently, but it looks decent. Remains to be seen if you'll really get in situations where you get flustered by a bad choice of words and find the conversation increasingly getting out of hand - I think the system's aim (and make-or-break) is really whether it can provide that feeling of progressive or continuous situations.

I'm so immunised to bad animations by now that I hardly notice. :(

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Suchy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDVBIycJjaE
this is pretty much how the whole game looks. dumb and fucking boring hack&slash.

I do believe you got the wrong thread.

circ

Arcane
It looks pretty sweet. Not that I see the RPG part, which is funny when it's tagged as a 'SPY RPG'. Hot spy chick no question, but who runs around in a tank top when it's snowing? Russian or not. A little unpolished looking graphics wise, but hey. Hope there's atleast some customising of Mike T other than clothing, if not, it seems like a GTA clone with dialogue options and no cars.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The only games Skyway/Metalcraze enjoys are extremely buggy free roaming military simulations with cardboard characters, crap performance, shit presentation and pathetic AI. Everything else is shit. Racofer is just a bored and boring teen who really should go outside and enjoy the sun for a bit.

entertainer

Arbiter
Trash said:
The only games Skyway/Metalcraze enjoys are extremely buggy free roaming military simulations with cardboard characters, crap performance, shit presentation and pathetic AI.

Me too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom