Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Mask of the Betrayer thread!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
All the best games i ever played had a large amount of shit forced on to me. It's the Baldur's Gate effect that is ruining the genre so fuck off.

Quality > choice, or anything for that matter.

Deleted member 7219

Just finished the game.

Wow... this game was a special one. I can't remember the last time I got so much enjoyment out of a game. It seemed so much more mature, so much more in depth, than other RPGs of recent memory. The story and the characters just kicked ass.

Best RPG I've played since KOTOR2, and before that, Hordes of the Underdark. But it outclasses even those two gems. Truly a magnificent game.

I particularly liked the BG2-style rest system, of being able to rest either for 8 hours or rest until dawn/dusk. I thought it was way too easy to be able to rest on the spot for like 10 seconds to replenish your health in NWN1 and NWN2. I'm glad to see it has been changed.

9/10 from me.

.5 off because of a few graphic glitches, and the poor implementation of the return of a character from NWN2. And also the PHAT LEWT syndrome. I mean, by level 18 (my char was level 20) you really do have almost everything you need to play through MotB, and even your new companions are properly outfitted. There's simply no need to amass such a huge fortune. You don't really spend it, and my inventory got full of all the random junk I found because I couldn't be arsed to sell it. Another thing that bothered me was how easy the influence system was. All you had to do was be extra nice to your companions to gain influence.... I would have preferred getting influence by threatening or scaring them.... or, if you try to suck up to them, influence is lost because they realise what you are trying to do.

But I would agree with some of the other points people have made here. Great soundtrack, and the game had a different feel compared to NWN2. I liked the art direction and the writing overall. If this is the future of Obsidian, then that is great news. I'd love to see more expansions like this for NWN2.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Lately I couldn't enjoy games as much as used to 5-10 years ago. I blamed it on growing up and stress at work, but suspected (or hoped) that it's because recent games sucked. Turned out my suspicions were correct. MotB is an old school, an early Black Isle game.

Somewhat unrelated but, I had the same issue with console games - thinking I had outgrown them (mid 30s here) and only playing the games I purchased for a few minutes before moving on to the next.

UNTIL I played Resident Evil 4. Wow, it was like I was 15 again playing my SNES! Great presentation, constant entertainment, always something new around the corner as far as plot/play mechanics, bottom line: it was FUN, something not many console games are these days.

And of course have been feeling the same about RPGs lately so really looking forward to MOTB.

And if you're pulling our legs I will not buy your upcoming game :)

Zomg

Arbiter
Is there a hotkey or mod that will let me just transfer all the Remains piles for 10 feet around the selected character straight into my inventory a la Diablo quick looting? There are a lot of trash fights where you have to kill 10 mooks and each one drops his own remains pile w/ a single volatile essence, and I don't want to click every one.

Oarfish

Prophet
You can have characters pick up items on their own with the AI mod. But that is broken with motb at the moment.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Zomg said:
Is there a hotkey or mod that will let me just transfer all the Remains piles for 10 feet around the selected character straight into my inventory a la Diablo quick looting? There are a lot of trash fights where you have to kill 10 mooks and each one drops his own remains pile w/ a single volatile essence, and I don't want to click every one.
Tony_K's AI mod has the option for companions to auto pick up. I never used it, so I cannot say whether it works or not. So you could have one companion picking everything up on his own. And of course the mod doesn't work with MotB yet, as meantioned before...

I'm far from finished but my score would be a lot more devastating (but I'd also only give a 5/10 for an average game and not 7-9/10 :roll: ) *shrug*

Zomg

Arbiter
On the tedium front, I did get the Rod of Preparation mod to let me Barkskin all my guys instantly, so big win there.

Another complaint: I wish they'd have put in more models for Mithril fullplate, because it's the obvious best armor and I stick everyone in it. It also seems consciously designed to clip through shields for some reason.

Helton

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
I still haven't really used essences for anything apart from making my sorcerer's dagger into a Crotchslicer + 6. I've just finished the Ashenwood/Hag quest branches... anything worthwhile I can make?

Did you get the fire-spirit's essence? +6d6 fire damage ain't petty.

Micmu

Magister
You can apply up to four different enchantments to almost any equipment (even add enchantments to unique magical items).
Later you can override existing effects with stronger ones.

Deleted member 7219

Yes but they are hard to make... by the end of the game I had hundreds of spirit essences, most of them pristine or brilliant, but had not used any of them. To do so you need to cast a spell on the sack or whatever its called, well I tried and nothing worked. For fire essences I tried fire related spells... everything from flare to the fire storm-like spell, and none worked. Same with ice and electricity.

DemonKing

Arcane
I've only got to Shadow Muslantir so far in Chapter I but while I'm enjoying the story, some of the combat is a bit whacked.

It just goes too quickly and there are too many effects on screen simultaneously to really get a feel for any kind of strategy.

Also it would be nice to have a warrior NPC who could actually take a few hits before falling over - my Warlock + the other 3 NPCs (all spellcasters) are having a hard time of it sometimes.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Pretty much. You want to throw stuff at them, but not force it on them. Make it seem like they are reacting to an event rather than just being caught up in it, right?
The P&P I played was mostly improv anyway. And whenever I put some effort into a campaign, the players ruined it by doing something completely daft right at the beginning, utterly blocking the planned route.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Matt7895 said:
Yes but they are hard to make... by the end of the game I had hundreds of spirit essences, most of them pristine or brilliant, but had not used any of them. To do so you need to cast a spell on the sack or whatever its called, well I tried and nothing worked. For fire essences I tried fire related spells... everything from flare to the fire storm-like spell, and none worked. Same with ice and electricity.

If you examine a brilliant essence it will tell you the exact recipe. Enchanting in this game is dead easy, much simpler than in NWN2

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fuck it, you guys made me decide to give this game another go. How can i maintain my holier then thou image and look down upon the lot of you from my lofty higher standards and superior taste?

Bastards.

Helton

Arcane
Matt7895 said:

Spirit essences need you to use a feat on them, not a spell. It's "mold spirit" and "malleate spirit" I think. Only the PC can get these feats, of course.

Keldorn

Scholar
Helton said:
Matt7895 said:

Spirit essences need you to use a feat on them, not a spell. It's "mold spirit" and "malleate spirit" I think. Only the PC can get these feats, of course.

After reading these NWN2 threads, you folks have convinced me, indeed COMPELLED me, to purchase & play NWN2. I really have no choice in the matter, and it is pre-destined. If I volitionally 'choose' NOT to purchase & play it, I will (non-volitionally)experience significant anxiety and unsatisfied wonder as the mandatory penalty for NWN2 abstinence.

The NWN1 Bore-Aura engine jaded me, to a state of dull & dreary emptiness, but I shall recover with megadoses of NWN2 + expansion(s).

However, if I can't zoom out and get the bird's eye view, and if they continually force the entry & exit of henchmen on my party, I shall consider smashing the game disc with a hammer before I complete the OC (this would effectively destroy the bugs as well, at least from my perspective...).

Zomg

Arbiter
The NWN2 OC is awful. It is 80% a thalidomide baby combination of Curst from PS:T and San Francisco from FO2, the 20% being taken up mostly by stuff that is blandly inoffensive. You could cut it down to the shit that isn't overtly terrible and it would be 3-4 hours long. Do not play it.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Keldorn said:
After reading these NWN2 threads, you folks have convinced me, indeed COMPELLED me, to purchase & play NWN2. I really have no choice in the matter, and it is pre-destined. If I volitionally 'choose' NOT to purchase & play it, I will (non-volitionally)experience significant anxiety and unsatisfied wonder as the mandatory penalty for NWN2 abstinence.

Please, lets make one thing clear: these are Mask of the Betrayer threads, not NWN2. The OC isn't too impressive so if you're getting the game I hope you are getting it for the expansion. NWN2 is better than the NWN1 OC but like others have said, it also has a lot of filler content and it's generally unbalanced. If you survive through Act I than I wager you'll be able to finish it as there are a few interesting moments in Act II and III. Act I is basically one huge portion of filler content and generic dungeon crawling.

Deleted member 7219

The NWN2 OC does have the trial though which I really enjoyed... and I liked the characters of Khelgar, Elanee, Sand and Shandra. It wasn't a bad game really.

But yeah MotB wipes the floor with the whole thing. It's in a different league.

Micmu

Magister
The NWN2 OC does have the trial though which I really enjoyed...
Yes, I liked the trial very much. And then instantly started to hate it, too.
A lot of possibilities there. For example, I liked how you could "crush" Torio if you had high enough diplomacy skill.
I won the first time and was quite happy about it.
Of course, being that NWN2, everything retarded down to FIGHT TO THE DEATH!11. Trial, the evidence you colleced, verbal efforts... didn't mean shit.

Just for kicks I reloaded to see what happens if you lose. SURPRISE, the exact same fight to the death once again! Survivor wins the trial and everything is OK.

What a complete and utter waste, IMO.
And sadly, this trial is just like everything else in the game. Sickeningly linear with shit story and fake choices through and through.

God bless MoTB. I already forgave Obsidian.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Matt7895 said:
The NWN2 OC does have the trial though which I really enjoyed... and I liked the characters of Khelgar, Elanee, Sand and Shandra. It wasn't a bad game really.

Those are probably my favorite characters too (plus Bishop). Sand has a brilliant voice actor, the sarcasm is just dripping off him. :lol: Overall, it's not a bad game, it just needed some extra work and a diet.

Andrej

Liturgist
micmu said:
And then instantly started to hate [the trial], too.
A lot of possibilities there. For example, I liked how you could "crush" Torio if you had high enough diplomacy skill.
I won the first time and was quite happy about it.
Of course, being that NWN2, everything retarded down to FIGHT TO THE DEATH!11. Trial, the evidence you colleced, verbal efforts... didn't mean shit.

Just for kicks I reloaded to see what happens if you lose. SURPRISE, the exact same fight to the death once again! Survivor wins the trial and everything is OK.

What a complete and utter waste, IMO.
And sadly, this trial is just like everything else in the game. Sickeningly linear with shit story and fake choices through and through.
The trial was a drawn out, excruciatingly linear and boring sesssion. I did not feel the slightest engaged in not proving my guilt in the game. The trial felt like an atempt at something good that ultimately just turned to shit.

Out of all of NWN2, I think I liked the trial the least.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Matt7895 said:

But yeah MotB wipes the floor with the whole thing. It's in a different league.

Sand and Ammon (the Construct should be also OK 'coz he doesn't talk) are the only bearable companions. I know "this is just a video game" but the rest is just plain retarded. I'm currrently replaying the OC (I have to make a char for the expansion) and the forced companion drama sometimes tops JE in that department. Everybody's talkin' but nobody's doin' a fuckin' thing - thay are just sheep following you (except the scripted betrayal).

The Witcher - shipping 23.10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom