Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
The Diablos were the shot in the fucking head to traditional turn based crpgs.

That said, Diablo 1 was the best out of all the Diablos, due to pure atmosphere.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Diablo 1 is still perfectly playable, looks great with high-res mods and is atmospheric/heaps of fun. (Check out "The Hell" mod, probably the biggest D1 new content/difficulty mod).

Diablo 2 with mods is OK-ish as a pass-time grindy hack 'n slash though the art direction sucks and kinda makes it un-fun for me.

Diablo 3 is irredeemably shit for its hype.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I've always wandered what made Diablo series so popular. It certain;y wasn't story, depth, choice and variety.
What exactly is the fun thing about grinding?
I guess people have a thing for Baal runs.

Stabwound

Arcane
Diablo 1 is still perfectly playable, looks great with high-res mods and is atmospheric/heaps of fun. (Check out "The Hell" mod, probably the biggest D1 new content/difficulty mod).
There is a resolution mod for D1? I was never able to find such a thing.

Terpsichore

Arcane
I've always wandered what made Diablo series so popular. It certain;y wasn't story, depth, choice and variety.
What exactly is the fun thing about grinding?
I guess people have a thing for Baal runs.

It was battlenet play, the trading aspect of it (which was possible thanks to how the itemization worked).

There is a resolution mod for D1? I was never able to find such a thing.

I would be interested in this too. Trying to find it through a search is impossible because there are several order of magnitudes more hits on the D2 high res mods.

sser

Arcane
Developer
You were constantly using all of your abilities as a Monk? Why would you use the defensive one? My Monk is level 11, and thus far I don't think I've touched my keyboard ever. No potions, no 1-4 skills, just the abilities bound to my mouse buttons. In comparison, my level 14 Templar in PoE would consistently use all 8 of his keybound skills, occasionally swapping another one in.

Anyway, when they tried the same thing (streamlining away the "non-choices") in WoW, they ended up with significantly less viable builds. So I wouldn't hold my breath for it to work in D3.

Because I like blasting shit in a hack and slash? I dunno, why do you play hack and slash games?

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Limiting to 6 skills forces you to make choices.Which in my book is a good thing. In D2 you could hotkey almost every skill. Even though you would probably still play it like in D3. 1-3 damage skills, 1-3 support skills.The skills in D2 were unbalanced.Everyone used sorcerer to MF because of teleport. Till Enigma came along. In D3 every class will have a movement skill.
You probably feel a false sense of restriction. The reason I say its false. Because you can change every skill on the fly(atleast in normal difficulty, 5sec wait time). Do you really need more then 6 skills? Blizzard doesnt think so. And I agree with them. Simply because of how skill cooldowns work in D3. Its works brilliantly with the "generator" skills and the "spenders". Its easier to balance. The mana system in D2 is a joke compared to this. Not to mention the potion spamming. Charms filling up inventory space? Seriously? Very bad game design. Maybe they come back in D3 in a patch/expansion. They did work on the "talisman" system. It will be better either way.
The valor system is only for endgame farming. So its not like they force you to stick with your build in normal,nightmare and hell. Also not much info is known about valor. We still have to wait and see.
Let us be honest how many skills did you use as hammerdin? smithdin? BvB/ BvC? Fb/FO sorc? Bone necro? elemental druid? Sorc to mf it's because you only need tal set to be decent.D3 is heading in the right direction.People that are complaining mostly didn't even played D2 to high end content. They thought D2 tree talents => tons of builds, tons of skills => all skills are useful. 3 ladder seasons ago I killed DClone with very undergeared hammerdin due tons of full reju. It's not funny, it's broken.

also the calculator is up, check out the skills/rune combinations are possible , you can alter 1 skill for atleast 5-6 ways with different effects, this gives more choice than the d2 skill system.

us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Have you tried playing WoW, Syril? Because from what you're posting, it sounds totally right up your alley. I'm serious, give it a shot, if you haven't. You'll be blown away by all the smart design and balanced PvP.

You were constantly using all of your abilities as a Monk? Why would you use the defensive one? My Monk is level 11, and thus far I don't think I've touched my keyboard ever. No potions, no 1-4 skills, just the abilities bound to my mouse buttons. In comparison, my level 14 Templar in PoE would consistently use all 8 of his keybound skills, occasionally swapping another one in.

Anyway, when they tried the same thing (streamlining away the "non-choices") in WoW, they ended up with significantly less viable builds. So I wouldn't hold my breath for it to work in D3.

Because I like blasting shit in a hack and slash? I dunno, why do you play hack and slash games?

You used an ability that doesn't do damage because you like killing shit? I like killing shit too, that's why I used skills that actually killed shit.

It will be better either way.

This quote pretty much sums up Syril. No matter what the change was from D2->D3 its always for the better because Blizzard did it. Fucking newfags. Just wait for him to rationalize the loss of weapon switching and single player as good things.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Have you tried playing WoW, Syril? Because from what you're posting, it sounds totally right up your alley

I did. WoW is diablo 2 expanded, while d3 is 'wow lite' taking both from d2 and wow. In the long run i didn't like WoW because of monthly fee and some stupid decisions. D3 is right up my alley, you don't have to spend 24/7 to have gear, no monthly fee - gear grinding , mouse clicking pvp(when released in patch) heaven.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I am worried about loss of stats and customization, but didn't they remove "rune finding" as well? Someone want to explain how runes work now.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Let us be honest how many skills did you use as hammerdin? smithdin? BvB/ BvC? Fb/FO sorc? Bone necro? elemental druid? Sorc to mf it's because you only need tal set to be decent.D3 is heading in the right direction.People that are complaining mostly didn't even played D2 to high end content.

Shut the fuck up, i had a bunch of weird chars capable of easily destroying the cookie cutter enigma trash builds for retards.

Stabwound

Arcane
I am worried about loss of stats and customization, but didn't they remove "rune finding" as well? Someone want to explain how runes work now.
The D2 style of runes seems to have been replaced with the D3 style where you use them on skills, which is lame.

Maybe there is some equivalent in D3 but it doesn't seem to be present in the beta if there is.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
The D2 style of runes seems to have been replaced with the D3 style where you use them on skills, which is lame.

Maybe there is some equivalent in D3 but it doesn't seem to be present in the beta if there is.

Yes, but I heard they replaced "findable" runes with some type of built-in implementation? Anyone want to explain?

Multi-headed Cow

As you level, you unlock "Runes" for skills, just like you unlock skills. Each skill has unique runes associated with it which alter the way the skill works. Check out the skill calculator for specific examples of what level gets you what rune for what skill, but the gist of it is runes are an extra layer of customization to tweak your build. Throw knife or whatever it's called for demon hunter can have a stun if it has the correct rune equipped, or do damage over time, or penetrate through multiple enemies, etc.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

Roderick

Savant
can someone here point me to a Diablo 1 (or Hellfire) high resolution mod, i can't find any.

Diablo definitely declined after the first game

Teepo

Scholar
Less actually is better in this case. I mean, I didn't like Diablo 2 so maybe I'm jaded, but D2's stat system and skill system were both absolutely horrible and to consider either of them to be some gameplay design worth crying over is retarded. Could they have just improved those two things? Sure. But just between those two games the sequel already has a better system. There are more abilities to use and they actually have -- gasp -- real use! I mean, with a level 10 Monk I was constantly using all four of my abilities in combat. In D2 I could play the entire goddam game using one or two skills; that's not good game design. I can already tell D3's gameplay mechanics focus on what the game is made for: the combat. That's what it is. A hack and slash, beat 'em up with interesting abilities to use. And I think, judging by the rune system (and if you use the "Elective" way of doing things), the cross-sectioning of abilities is already ten times more interesting than D2. There are going to be so many more viable 'builds' in this game than in D2 and if you want a game where you beat shit up, then what's the problem?
Fair enough.
I never played a roguelike and wouldn't consider them rpgs at all, aren't they just survival games with stat progression or something?
LOL is that some kind of joke?

Are you saying because they don't have a story that makes them non-RPG's?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
to consider either of them to be some gameplay design worth crying over is retarded.

What complete bullshit. The solution here, when the stat-system and skill-tree is bad, is not to remove it entirely. It's to make it better.

Your line of thinking is the core fucking heart and soul of the idea of streamlining - instead of improving and adding depth just give the axe (making it even worse in the process).

I will go to PoE for all my H&S needs.

sser

Arcane
Developer
to consider either of them to be some gameplay design worth crying over is retarded.

What complete bullshit. The solution here, when the stat-system and skill-tree is bad, is not to remove it entirely. It's to make it better.

Your line of thinking is the core fucking heart and soul of the idea of streamlining - instead of improving and adding depth just give the axe (making it even worse in the process).

I will go to PoE for all my H&S needs.

I don't think it's streamlining when the rune system takes its place. By adding those variables the game is, literally within 10-levels, more complicated than 90-levels in D2. You call it streamlining, I simply see better game mechanics and I'm willing to bet that on harder difficulties D3 will be infinitely better than D2 in every single way because of it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Explain to me precisely how it is surperior to PoE's passive skill tree and active skill gems?

The rune system is the only redeeming quality to the character system I'll grant ya, but it is extremely simple all the same.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
For the record, I just finished the beta with a monk without ever touching my keyboard in combat. So no potions, and no skills other than the two bound to my mouse buttons. Leoric was the only boss who actually seemed to do damage, but he conveniently summoned a bunch of lackeys, which died to my aoe kick and dropped health bubbles. I didn't even try to prove any kind of point, the game simply never forced me to do anything other than holding LMB, and the occasional RMB when I felt bored - although I think the latter wasn't really necessary either.

So yeah, I take back everything I said about the difficulty of PoE's Beta.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Downloading now...

I always thought the removal of stat points was retarded. Any possibility of different builds is effectively killed and it makes the game completely item dependant. Therefore your character's effectiveness is based entirely around luck. What if you're shit out of luck and can't find anything good? Well, you know, there is that new item store...

And yes, I know in MP you would just take enough stats to reach min requirements and then dump the rest in vit, but this is something they could've fixed instead of removing altogether. When I first played D2, I played SP only and there I certainly tried to make up for shitty items by patching weaknesses with stats (shitty armor -> more vit, shitty weapon -> more str).

sser

Arcane
Developer
For the record, I just finished the beta with a monk without ever touching my keyboard in combat. So no potions, and no skills other than the two bound to my mouse buttons. Leoric was the only boss who actually seemed to do damage, but he conveniently summoned a bunch of lackeys, which died to my aoe kick and dropped health bubbles. I didn't even try to prove any kind of point, the game simply never forced me to do anything other than holding LMB, and the occasional RMB when I felt bored - although I think the latter wasn't really necessary either.

So yeah, I take back everything I said about the difficulty of PoE's Beta.

For the record, you can do this in D2... the whole game.

I guess my problem is I don't understand what this game is 'declining' from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom