Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Awesomeness of Dragon Age knows no bounds.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So after having being barely satiated with the goodness that was DA:O, I turned to DA:O Awakening and it just fucking took everything I had known about the Darkspawn and TURNED IT ON THE MOFOING HEAD!!!

The Darkspawn were already one of the most memorable and nuanced of opponents ever made for a RPG, but what Bioware did with them in Awakening made me re-evaluate everything I ever knew about RPG narrative and depth. I didn't do a single take, nor a double take. I HAD TO DO A TRIPLE TAKE!!!!

TALKING DARKSPAWN!!!!!

This shit is so enormous that I had to lie down for a moment to consider it. What genius it was to take a soulless enemy of mindless fodder and make them sentient and then to come up with the epic mystical reasoning behind the existence of a creature like 'The Architect' by having him say "I was born as I am, an outsider amongst my kind. Why? I do not know."

JAW HITS THE MOFOING FLOOR!!!

Take that MCA and your cryptofag nature of man shit! THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!

Imagine this: DRAGON AGE 3; TWO BLIGHTS AT ONCE.....AND........ A ROMANCEABLE ARCHITECT AS A COMPANION!!!!

CALM DOWN LEST YOUR HEADS EXPLODE!!!!!

This shit is so enormous, I'm thinking that Bioware must have already commissioned an army of writers to get this in the next game, but if they haven't then they're welcome to my altruistic suggestion.

DARKSPAWN.

Angthoron

Arcane
I will combine Konjad and KC in one image to give opinion of this thread.

WUiJn.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This will blow your mind: there's another talking darkspawn in DA2: Legacy. I think he's called Coprophilia or something.

Ammar

Scholar
While I have little love for any of the DA games, I don't think the fact that even the Architect himself not knowing why he can speak and it not being answered in game is good.

Too many games to out of their way to explain every mystery and answer all the open answers. It's critical that such open questions are at least adressed in the sense that other people wonder and form theories about it as well. The whole Morrowind background lore is an wonderful positive example.

Regdar

Arcane
One thing we do know for certain, is that there are going to be a lot more trannies in DA3.

Maybe Architect will be retconned into being a female hermaphrodite?

God help us all.

meh

Educated
You seem to get easily excited with shallow games. First TW2, now DAO. What's next, Arma3?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Morkar said:
Didn't you already post such shit one year ealier?

I've only discovered the joys of Dragon Age a month ago.

meh said:
You seem to get easily excited with shallow games. First TW2, now DAO. What's next, Arma3?

Makes a change from fapping over the depth of the 'attack' 'defend' 'cast' 'rest' of the early blob crawlers.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
:yeah:

Surely this is a statement of individualism versus the all-encompassing status quo. The talking derpspawn is the ultimate individual

Which brings us to the following enigma. Why do you, commie, wish to glorify the individual? Why do you long to be in his presence? Perhaps you have not turned your back on individuality. Perhaps your ideal is not one of emancipation and equality, but indeed, commie, you are not a communist, but a humanist! Thank Bioware for dramatically changing your world view as you reach ultimate wisdom fighting the derpspawn for hours and hours and hours and hours witty banter and hours and hours

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Serious_Business said:

Surely this is a statement of individualism versus the all-encompassing status quo. The talking derpspawn is the ultimate individual

Which brings us to the following enigma. Why do you, commie, wish to glorify the individual? Why do you long to be in his presence? Perhaps you have not turned your back on individuality. Perhaps your ideal is not one of emancipation and equality, but indeed, commie, you are not a communist, but a humanist! Thank Bioware for dramatically changing your world view as you reach ultimate wisdom fighting the derpspawn for hours and hours and hours and hours witty banter and hours and hours

What can I say? Dragon Age is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Also, humanism and communist go hand in hand. The idea of creating a level playing field is to allow for the growth of the individual without said individual being forced to spend his life merely scratching in the dirt, trying to survive.

Ruprekt

Scholar
It depends how you define human.

I am a pragmatist. I believe in capitalism - the ineluctable synthetic-apriori of will and action - and so my method for divining humanity involves a copy of The Witcher and a Gom Jabbar.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Ruprekt said:
It depends how you define human.

I am a pragmatist. I believe in capitalism - the ineluctable synthetic-apriori of will and action - and so my method for divining humanity involves a copy of The Witcher and a Gom Jabbar.

But how would that work? Is the 'human' the one that would take the Jabbar option or the one that accepts The Witcher? It would be far more cut and dried with an alternative such as a Bethesda game or a modern EA 'classic'.

Captain Shrek

Serious_Business said:

> individualism
>ism
> individuality
>ity

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
commie said:
Also, humanism and communist go hand in hand. The idea of creating a level playing field is to allow for the growth of the individual without said individual being forced to spend his life merely scratching in the dirt, trying to survive.

In the strict sense of the word, communism refuses humanism (as understood by 18th century morality) because it is too abstract. Communism is supposed to be founded in materiality and history. Humanism is a bourgeois ideology because it pretends to go beyond that - it does not take economics as the basis of its thought, but rather human potential. Man is more than a social condition in humanism, not so in communism. To pretend that communism is more than a materialistic reductive position is making your own brand of communism. You're going agaisnt the party's guidelines, comrade. You are a fraud

Now this thread is truly worthy of retardo

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fun fact: DA:O's Codex entry on Darkspawn Emissaries mentioned that they could talk, but they never actually did, ingame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom