Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Battle of the Sands just got released

Johannes

Arcane
An RTS with apparently no multiplayer?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dune 2 looked a lot better than this.
No it didn't. Take Your nostalgia glasses of.
Well they are both pretty similar. But I think Dune 2 looks a bit more detailed. Even though both look pretty rough.
D2-1.jpg

Koschey

Arcane
Well at least he's got a cool futuristic chiptune soundtrack.

It's kinda funny that nearly everyone who buys this will end up buying it only to support a KoTC 2. Seriously who else will buy an RTS with 12 missions and plain graphics that looks way worse than Dune 2000? It's beyond me why Pierre thinks this game will have far more appeal than KoTC 2.

As far as I remember he doesn't think BotS will have more appeal than KotC2. The reason was that a lot of code from an RTS would be reusable in an RPG (line-of-sight and similar stuff) and a (simple) RTS would be a quicker project than finishing KotC2. So the reasons were basically exercise and building a better code base with a short game.

He states this here for example, though I seem to remember a post in another thread there where he said it more clearly.

I agree that a significant portion of sales will be to people mainly wanting to support KotC2, tough. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So he didn't work on KotC2 to make this, and expects people to pay for it?

:hmmm:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I think he just had a lot of fun with making his own little Dune II. And yeah, his game looks way rougher than that one. Not so strange, considering Dune II graphics were drawn by artists with an actual budget, while he fiddled it together in his loft.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
KotC's art is servicable. The viewpoint is pretty bad. Both have little impact on the game's functionality.

mondblut

Arcane
Thing is, were KOTC released back in 1993, it would be elevated on the same pedestal the Dark Sun and Gold Box were on.

Were this one released in 1994, nobody would notice it among the mire of substandart Dune/WC/C&C copycats.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Damn fanboys.
dune 2's art style is consistent, whether units, the background, the gui or the sequences. this makes the entire package more pleasing from an aesthetic point of view, while here you have the sharp style of the units clashing with the blurry (though that might just be the screenie) style and perspective of the buildings which both in turn clash with the gui (especially the scroll bars)... so, yeah, dune 2 looks better. not much, but it does.

Eyeball

Arcane
You all need to buy this.

Not because it looks especially good, but because he needs to get back to making KOTC2 as soon as possible and you should help him!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You all need to buy this.

Not because it looks especially good, but because he needs to get back to making KOTC2 as soon as possible and you should help him!

That's like saying I should buy Ass Creed 9 to support MMX.

DraQ

Arcane
At least it looks better than their previous game.

It also looks like pretty shameless Dune 2 ripoff and Dune 2, despite not being the prettiest game ever, still looked quite a bit better thanks to less sterility and more definition to stuff.

May sell to some desperate D2 fans who cannot into DOSBox.

Dune 2 looked a lot better than this.
No it didn't. Take Your nostalgia glasses of.
Well they are both pretty similar. But I think Dune 2 looks a bit more detailed. Even though both look pretty rough.
D2-1.jpg

I like the buidlings more in Dune 2.
Notice how Dune 2 had more definition to stuff - rock looked rough, sand looked sand-y, etc. - here you just have multicoloured nondescript splotches.
Also notice how sterile this game is compared to Dune 2 - in Dune you had splatter, craters, rubble, even vehicle tracks IIRC.

I liked D2 music more too.
:smug:

Edit:

VS

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Notice how Dune 2 had more definition to stuff - rock looked rough, sand looked sand-y, etc. - here you just have multicoloured nondescript splotches.
Also notice how sterile this game is compared to Dune 2 - in Dune you had splatter, craters, rubble, even vehicle tracks IIRC.

Duh. Dune 2 had a budget. It was a mayor project by a big developer working together with one of the biggest publishers at the time. This is some hobbyist having fun making an rts.

DraQ

Arcane

Duh. Dune 2 had a budget. It was a mayor project by a big developer working together with one of the biggest publishers at the time. This is some hobbyist having fun making an rts.
Doesn't excuse him from not giving rock rocky feel, not drawing sprites in a way that would appear shaded and not making terrain damage decals, which would have taken him may be an hour in any freely avialable raster graphics program - together.

If he sucks so much at graphics that he actually can't do those, he should be doing text adventures instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom