Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Battle of the Sands just got released

Absalom

The graphics are clean, not an eyesore, and everything is immediately identifiable. Doesn't need any more work on graphics. Diminishing returns, and all that.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I have no choice but to join the camp of people completely baffled by the fact that he dropped KotC 2 in order to work on this.

Absalom

Nope. For example you can only guess what individual coloured splotches of land are meant to represent. If terrain has any gameplay effect, then it's a very serious problem.
It's an RTS. Of course the terrain doesn't have an effect.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nope. For example you can only guess what individual coloured splotches of land are meant to represent. If terrain has any gameplay effect, then it's a very serious problem.
images

DraQ

Arcane
screenshot_dark_reign_the_future_of_war_11.jpg

sblevel3.png

sblevel12.png

Hell, even in Dune 2 you could only build on rock, walking or driving on sand could get you eaten, and there were areas impassable to anything but infantry.

:youreafag:

This said, ban Absalom.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

SPICE FIELD

Spice generally occurs along the surface and is a reddish-orange color
which distinguishes it from normal sand.

SAND

Sand is the most common type of terrain found on Arrakis. Most vehicles on
Dune are specially designed to travel upon this terrain. Sand Worms are a
danger when travelling across sand areas.

DUNES

Extensive sand dunes are formed by the constant windstorms. They are
difficult to traverse, especially for ground based units.

ROCK

Rock formations are the only terrain features that provide acceptable
building sites. Sand Worms avoid and will not cross rock formations.

MOUNTAIN

The rugged mountains are formed by layers of rock and give the otherwise
flat planet surface its only notable elevations. Mountains are impassible
to all vehicles but may be crossed by infantry units.

YUUUP

Absalom

Alright fine. Dune 2 and Dow had terrain effects. Do most RTS games? No. Does Battle of the Sands? Not sure since the demo doesn't work, but I doubt it

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It looks like Shite and is RTS the :decline: of strategy games; The setting is ripped from the Dune and we esteemed Codex :obviously: are supposed to pity buy games now or what? F... That Looser. :smug: Run Kickstarter for KOTC2 instead fagget.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Alright fine. Dune 2 and Dow had terrain effects. Do most RTS games? No. Does Battle of the Sands? Not sure since the demo doesn't work, but I doubt it

Fuck even the creep in SC is a terrain effect... Tacticular Staff everyone :troll:

Absalom

Fuck even creep in SC is terrain effects... Tacticular Staff everyone :troll:
... Fuck me I don't even like RTS. It's always the offhand comment on something you don't care about that comes back to bite you in the ass

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Tried the demo, and:

- 1st tutorial mission: have to destroy solar collectors to de-power turrets. All right, solars destroyed. Except the turrets keep firing - wtf? Fortunately I know a RTS winning move called "focus fire".

- 2nd tutorial mission: I don't get why would anyone collect the money (20k) instead of destroying the competition (which can be done with ~5k investment in units)?

- 3rd tutorial mission: I actually managed to fail this one! My control group 1 is just about done destroying one opponent, when the other one sends a group of tanks towards my base. No worries, I've been producing units, and they should be enough to hold the invaders off until my offensive units return. So I select the un-grouped units and add them to control group 1, then click on the incoming enemy forces. The intention: everybody advance towards the enemy. The result: un-grouped units leave my base (ignoring attackers half a spitting distance away), go to the location of the recently destroyed enemy base, join my offensive forces which are patiently waiting for them there, and then they all march back towards my base. Well, the remains of my base, anyway. :lol:

Sorry Pierre, I don't think I'll be buying this one any time soon...

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Somebody convince him to put KotC on Steam and then Kickstart KotC2, so I don't have to buy this game.

wergle

Educated
This is baffling on so many levels

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom