Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Ivan

Arcane
fucking NOOOOOOOOBEN

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Against my better judgement I decided to try out the Enderped Edition.

And seriously, the guys who designed the interface should be shot in the head. Repeatedly. I suppose Beamdog just wanted to have some changes, any changes, to show that they have actually ENHANCED and UPGRADED a 15-year old game, because I can't think of any other reason they've modified what they did. Even the changes that I'd say would be welcome were implemented in a disastrous way. You can compare pieces of equipment with your currently equipped items by selecting them? Great! Shame that now selecting items forces a half-second lag making equipment management so fucking slow.
But the rest is much worse. The map. Who in the right mind could think that adding a zooming animation every time you open the map is a good idea? Seriously, who? Oh, and you can't even turn it off, for fuck's sake. The journal. Hey, let's make it in a small window like in NWN 'cause it's such a fucking great idea and it won't break continuity with other interface panels. Oh, and iou can't open it from your inventory or character screen, no no no. You must first go back to the main game window. And it stays there when you open the map, great! Aren't you happy? INNUVATIUN! Again, sorting entries into hideable quest taglines is a good addition, but they're in alphabetical order and sorting by date has magically vanished.

then there are minor quibbles, like the UI's graphical design, not being able to change resolution (I like playing BG in a smaller one like 1280x720 rather than fullHD), path cycles, new NPCs being worse than Merill, etc. etc.

Oh, and one more thing. In years of playing modded out BG(T) I only had a few easily avoidable or fixable bugs and crashes. In one (not yet complete) EE game I had scripts not firing, events bugging out and savegames corrupted forcing me to redo whole chapters.

And Dragonspear is much worse, isn't it? Seriously, fuck Beamdog.

hell bovine

Arcane
Oh, and one more thing. In years of playing modded out BG(T) I only had a few easily avoidable or fixable bugs and crashes. In one (not yet complete) EE game I had scripts not firing, events bugging out and savegames corrupted forcing me to redo whole chapters.

I played tutu when it first came out. Ah, good old times, when water was green, and going to Beregost killed your saves. :lol:

That said, Siege had fun combat (played with a fresh character on insane), which could really benefit from SCS, but hey, the newest patch broke the compatibility. :roll: I clicked through most of the dialogues, however, and had to read up Lilura's walkthrough, because I got confused by the ending. For a trilogy playthrough I recommend going with the originals, definitely.

ArchAngel

Arcane

And seriously, the guys who designed the interface should be shot in the head. Repeatedly. I suppose Beamdog just wanted to have some changes, any changes, to show that they have actually ENHANCED and UPGRADED a 15-year old game, because I can't think of any other reason they've modified what they did. Even the changes that I'd say would be welcome were implemented in a disastrous way. You can compare pieces of equipment with your currently equipped items by selecting them? Great! Shame that now selecting items forces a half-second lag making equipment management so fucking slow.
But the rest is much worse. The map. Who in the right mind could think that adding a zooming animation every time you open the map is a good idea? Seriously, who? Oh, and you can't even turn it off, for fuck's sake. The journal. Hey, let's make it in a small window like in NWN 'cause it's such a fucking great idea and it won't break continuity with other interface panels. Oh, and iou can't open it from your inventory or character screen, no no no. You must first go back to the main game window. And it stays there when you open the map, great! Aren't you happy? INNUVATIUN! Again, sorting entries into hideable quest taglines is a good addition, but they're in alphabetical order and sorting by date has magically vanished.

then there are minor quibbles, like the UI's graphical design, not being able to change resolution (I like playing BG in a smaller one like 1280x720 rather than fullHD), path cycles, new NPCs being worse than Merill, etc. etc.

I had none of your problems on my old (5 years) or new computer so a required "fix your wooden PC" comment is inserted.
And only that UI on different resolution is objective problem, the rest is your "Buhuhu, it is not just like my Tutu experience" that many here suffer from.
The world does not care for problems of 5 people in this topic, none of EE "problems" are real for 99% of its players but true improvements.

Oh and SCS works on EE, just needs a bit more fiddling as you cannot jus dl that one file and install it.

hoverdog

Developer

I had none of your problems on my old (5 years) or new computer so a required "fix your wooden PC" comment is inserted.
And only that UI on different resolution is objective problem, the rest is your "Buhuhu, it is not just like my Tutu experience" that many here suffer from.
The world does not care for problems of 5 people in this topic, none of EE "problems" are real for 99% of its players but true improvements.

Oh and SCS works on EE, just needs a bit more fiddling as you cannot jus dl that one file and install it.
oh, what a typical 'lalalala I don't hear you' reply from our favourite beamdog apologist.

hoverdog

Developer
What facts, pray tell?

Even if my PC is poor (it kinda is, but not exceedingly so), it's still a game from the last century and if this "enhancement" required modern computing power, it's even more laughable.

Yeah, facts. When you dismiss legit criticism of a botched UI, it's no wonder everyone here considers you a dumbfuck.

I never said it doesn't. I wouldn't touch EE with a ten-feet stick if it didn't. Then again, doesn't that contradict one of EE fans' greatest argument - "b-b-but BGT requires so much configuring and installing!!1 and you can use EE with a single magic button!!1"?

And it's true because you say so. A true apologist's cornerstone. J_C would be proud.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There is an option about using a renderer. Try switching to second option.
And all enhanced editions also increase hardware requirements. And if it worked good on my 5 year old PC you got no case against the game.

And I didn't dismiss your UI complaints, just called them subjective. My tone just reflects the level of autism of the 5 defenders here.

As for my 99% comment I do visit other places on internet as well, not just 'Dex.

SCS is not required for first play but just installing bg1ee still gives huge number of improvements tutu and other mods provide and don't provide.
And contrary to autists here new companions and quests can be easily ignored. Which btw are not that out of context from the rest of the game. BG virgins will only notice them different due to much more VO.

Ivan

Arcane
so I'm 2 hours in or so, picked up Minsc and betrayed Edward. Not having a good time with Mage since I can only cast 1 spell per rest, am I better off just restarting as a ranger/melee? It's pretty useless.

Space Insect

Arcane
so I'm 2 hours in or so, picked up Minsc and betrayed Edward. Not having a good time with Mage since I can only cast 1 spell per rest, am I better off just restarting as a ranger/melee? It's pretty useless.
It will get better. Get your mage a sling or something like that so they can contribute something.

hell bovine

Arcane
Frankly, if you don't have fun with a mage, then restart. While mages become ridiculously powerful later on, it takes them a long time and they require lots of management. You'll find enough NPC mages anyway.

For a spellcaster that can do well in melee combat, a ranger/cleric is a solid (if cheesy) choice of character, as they get both druid and cleric spells. The only downside is that you need to watch your reputation (or you loose your ranger status and abilities). Another easy choice for a ranger is the archer kit - rocks the kill count in BG1 (slows down a bit in BG2, but still useful, as there are no good NPC archers there), easy to keep alive because you keep them in the back.

Ivan

Arcane
act 5 now and i'm steamrolling. except now im facing mages and it's a pain to outwait their shield.

is BG2 more of a storyfag game cuz this isn't doing it for me.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you don't like mage duels or the combat in general you shouldn't have installed SCS. BG2 (with SCS) will be packed with enemies with protections and immunities that you should dispel or outsmart (not outwait). Play vanilla if you want an easier time or reinstall SCS disabling all enemy caster pre-buffing.

Ivan

Arcane
ya its my first time so i guess i shouldve not gone w/ scs. esp. since i dont know which mages will have the tools i need to succeed. using minsc's black friend but she isn't helping

however i must still ask, is BG2 more story heavy? quests here and npcs are basic, which took me by surprise. I was expecting Arcanum/Fallout but this is more do this, do that, help, don't help.

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist
I'd honestly say BG1's story and its development is more interesting and better built than BG2. Not really a game with a deep story that questions human nature or something like that.

And... "worse than Merrill"... nailed it :D Beamdog's writing is not just decline. It's the bottom of the barrel.

hell bovine

Arcane
act 5 now and i'm steamrolling. except now im facing mages and it's a pain to outwait their shield.

is BG2 more of a storyfag game cuz this isn't doing it for me.
BG2 is more story heavy, and also has more difficult enemies. I'd say that Baldur's Gate is the opposite of Arcanum; lighter on the story, but has a better combat system (though still shitty enemy AI, hence SCS). I definitely like BG's magic system better, because of the many tricks you can do with it. You certainly need to learn a bit more about magic to pull it off successfully, though. (as opposed to Arcanum's "harm, harm, disintegrate") A very good summary of all the spells in game (even though I disagree with some of them):
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm
(keep in mind that SCS changes a few of them, like breach)

As for challenge, you can always try Durlag's tower, it is a nice dungeon crawl with an interesting backstory.

Ivan

Arcane
Would you say that BG, generally speaking, is lauded by and large because of it's combat system and not its narrative and quest design? I was really hyped to try it out since it always comes up in Best Of lists but I'm more inclined to story/c&c than combat.

What RPGs do you think prioritize c&c, sophisticated quest design than the genre staples?

Are JRPGs lauded mostly for their tb combat systems generally (FF, Fire Emblem)?

gonna give the game 1 more go as a Wizard and educate myself about the spells. I was really confused when I dual classed Imoen (mage) and saw that she could no longer use her bow or Thief skills even though it said she would retain the skills she had up to that point. I suppose that it's best to dual class ASAP as they will always start as LV 1 of said class, right? E.G. if I dual class Imoen at LV5 to a Mage, she will be a LV1 Mage and will retain the points I've put into traps/lockpick/bow proficiency up to that point.

oh! one quick question. Is there are more convenient way of knowing which NPCs are questgivers, or, rather, is there a faster way of seeing if an NPC is named other than holding the cursor over them for what feels like 5 seconds? I typically assume every NPC standing by himself in the middle of a room has a quest but that's not always the case.

also, is it possible to break up the companions that come in pairs (Minsc-Black Mage) or you just gotta take both?

Last edited:

pippin

BG1 is remembered fondly for being the first really big rpg for a new era of gaming. The game itself is quite limited, when you compare it to stuff that came both before and after it, but the concept itself was a novelty. D&D up until then was mostly Gold Box (Dark Sun wasn't as successful, sadly) or perhaps Eye of the Beholder. So this,a really real time crpg with d&d rules, beautiful backgrounds and paper dolls, and also some quirky characters and,most importantly, almost complete freedom of movement and exploration, was indeed something new.

On the other hand, the rules were butchered, the story is barely there, and you start to see Biowarian retardation everywhere (characters coming in pairs were the seed for all those cringeworthy romances). But it was fun for a while.

Wizards were ok in BG1, summons were hilariously broken, but I think you hit level cap pretty early in BG1+expansion. I wasn't even halfway through Durlag's Tower when I reached max xp with my mage.

There's definitely a story in BG1, it's just not about you and if you go looking for a story that revolves around you like in BG2 you'll find only a few fragments. It's arguably the Bioware game that least relies on the Chosen One gimmick (ignoring NWN1 which isn't a game).

BG1's biggest problem is that so many areas feel empty with little for the player to do other than play lawn mower to the fog of war. It's like if Fallout 1 didn't have the world map travel system but instead had you fight across an area for each square of the world map, and that was the primary gameplay for 2/3rds of the game with most of the quests telling you to go back and find something to kill in the world. Around Cloakwood Mines/the City of Baldur's Gate is where BG1 really picks up. It's no surprise that BG2 starts right off in the city of Amn and does away with the BG1 concept of world map exploration.

I agree that BG1 is principally remembered for being the first big and new RPG that spawned a lot of imitators and interest in the genre.

gonna give the game 1 more go as a Wizard and educate myself about the spells. I was really confused when I dual classed Imoen (mage) and saw that she could no longer use her bow or Thief skills even though it said she would retain the skills she had up to that point. I suppose that it's best to dual class ASAP as they will always start as LV 1 of said class, right? E.G. if I dual class Imoen at LV5 to a Mage, she will be a LV1 Mage and will retain the points I've put into traps/lockpick/bow proficiency up to that point.

You lose everything in your previous class until your new class reaches the previous class level, then you get them back. If you want to be canonical Imoen should be dualled to mage at level 7. Generally you don't need to dual early. Since XP for levels escalates quickly and your reward/quest XP goes up substantially, getting from 7->8th level takes enough XP that your mage would go from level 1->6th or something. Even a level 6 mage is still quite powerful (certainly more effective than a thief of any BG1-available level).

oh! one quick question. Is there are more convenient way of knowing which NPCs are questgivers, or, rather, is there a faster way of seeing if an NPC is named other than holding the cursor over them for what feels like 5 seconds? I typically assume every NPC standing by himself in the middle of a room has a quest but that's not always the case.

There's nothing really more convenient but you should be able to lower the tooltip delay in the options menu.

also, is it possible to break up the companions that come in pairs (Minsc-Black Mage) or you just gotta take both?

You're not supposed to. There's some exploits but I have no idea whether they work on modded versions and/or EEs.

pippin

The story in BG1 still revolves around you. It's your story, your brother, your foster father, and your destiny. It's just that the game has so many things going on, particularly in the southern areas, that it feels more like a world than just a power fantasy. One of my favorite things of the game is that you find adventurers who were just there, and you could fight them. It really "lands" the setting a lot more than the usual crpg, when your party is the only one doing adventuring.

Melcar

Arcane
The story in BG1 still revolves around you. It's your story, your brother, your foster father, and your destiny. It's just that the game has so many things going on, particularly in the southern areas, that it feels more like a world than just a power fantasy. One of my favorite things of the game is that you find adventurers who were just there, and you could fight them. It really "lands" the setting a lot more than the usual crpg, when your party is the only one doing adventuring.

Those guys you meet in that are with the Basilisks, and the fight with the Maulers of Undermountain were among my favorite encounters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom