Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Best way to play Planescape: Torment today?

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
What's so bad about the Enhanced Edition? Is it actually bad in the first place?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Personally, I didn't like the alignment changes to some of the companions. And I'm not sure if Dak'kon's blade has been fixed... which is lol-worthy.
I would play like it was back in the day, with the shitty resolution and all, but I can't blame anyone for going the Enhanced way. Just make sure you check what alignment your companions had in the OG edition.

ind33d

Educated
There is nothing wrong with vanilla Torment. I think there is an unofficial patch to add in some deleted items, but that's it. On my playthrough Dak'kon disappeared, but I never knew if it was a bug or I just pissed him off and he left.

PST is not like Daggerfall or Vampire the Masquerade. It pretty much works fine, which is honestly quite surprising for a game of its ambition

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
nothing bad about EE, still got bug locked out in prison and had to reload

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
original PST just needs the same treatment all IE games need: widescreen mod, widescreen UI mod and cnc-ddraw. This is so easy to install a monkey could do it.

People keep saying nothing wrong with EE but why do you insist on giving your money to glorified modders who are selling you a literally modded PST when you can do the same for free? Actually I would argue that og pst looks better with the widescreen mod than EE's questionable looking renderer.

PSA: there may or may not exist a website easily accessible on the clearnet that publishes GOG installers for free.

ind33d

Educated
original PST just needs the same treatment all IE games need: widescreen mod, widescreen UI mod and cnc-ddraw. This is so easy to install a monkey could do it.

People keep saying nothing wrong with EE but why do you insist on giving your money to glorified modders who are selling you a literally modded PST when you can do the same for free? Actually I would argue that og pst looks better with the widescreen mod than EE's questionable looking renderer.

PSA: there may or may not exist a website easily accessible on the clearnet that publishes GOG installers for free.
Is this true? I wanted to buy someone Morrowind, but GOG won't take my card, and I've already bought the fucking game like four times

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

Is this true? I wanted to buy someone Morrowind, but GOG won't take my card, and I've already bought the fucking game like four times

I will send you a DM

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I play EE IE games but modded and overall, I'm not the biggest fan of the EEs.

That being said, Avellone was consulted on PST EE and some grammar mistakes, narrative bugs, etc were corrected. Beamdog and Avellone himself consider it the "canonical" version of the game but I don't see anything wrong with playing the original though I haven't done that personally for many, many years.

If it was iwd or the BG games, I'd say just play the originals without exception. Playing scs is probably the only reason to play BG EE and some players might disagree with that also for various reasons I won't bother to go into here.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I play EE IE games but modded and overall, I'm not the biggest fan of the EEs.

That being said, Avellone was consulted on PST EE and some grammar mistakes, narrative bugs, etc were corrected. Beamdog and Avellone himself consider it the "canonical" version of the game but I don't see anything wrong with playing the original though I haven't done that personally for many, many years.

If it was iwd or the BG games, I'd say just play the originals without exception. Playing scs is probably the only reason to play BG EE and some players might disagree with that also for various reasons I won't bother to go into here.
Scs is a substantially good reason to use the EE for bg1 I agree. If scs were available for og bg1 I would never bother with ee.

Cross

Arcane
What's so bad about the Enhanced Edition? Is it actually bad in the first place?
For one, there's nothing enhanced about it. Beamdog didn't do anything about the poor combat and left bugs unfixed, nor did they restore any of the cut content, so you're better off playing the modded original version.

https://torment.fandom.com/wiki/Mods_and_Tweaks_(PS:T)

If you are planning on playing Beamdog's version for some reason, there are mods available for it that replicate some of the mods for the original.

https://github.com/Argent77/PST-UB-reloaded
https://github.com/Argent77/A7-BanterAccelerator

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
EE is fine, it's just the same game with high resolution support and key shortcut to show intractables (something that wasn't needed in baldur's gate as it had better designed visibility), which helps a lot. Other than that it doesn't matter which version you play. Fortunately they didn't add anything like in the BG EE the bullshit low quality NPCs.

Get it for a dollar or two and enjoy. Or get vanilla. Whichever.

Arbiter

Scholar
PST is not like Daggerfall or Vampire the Masquerade. It pretty much works fine, which is honestly quite surprising for a game of its ambition

It just works (TM).

On a serious note, PST is ambitious in terms of writing, but there is nothing unusual in the game in terms of technology and it was built on an existing and proven engine. Therefore I am not surprised by the fact that it works reasonably well.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I've already had EE installed for ages, and it's compatible with Linux out of the box while the original would be a pain to set up, so I'm just gonna go ahead with EE if it doesn't have any actual problems, which appears to be the case.

The only games that were actually changed were BG1 and 2. And, ironically, they made it so much easier to avoid EE content in 2, like they knew nobody liked it.
IWD got modified by having it BG2-ified but other than that the game stays the same. You might argue the game is easier since you now have way more options to do anything you want, but there's nothing outside of classes, kits, items and expanded spellbooks to disrupt your playthrough. I think PST was only EE-ified in technical stuff.
NWN has been expanded and now you can even download modules directly from the game.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
EE UI is bad, I much prefer the original radial, and the maximum font size is too small, if you play on anything higher than 2K.
The only thing missing in vanilla is the highlighting of the interactable things, which is quite handy, but still, I prefer to play the original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom