Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Best way to play Planescape: Torment today?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
IWD got modified by having it BG2-ified but other than that the game stays the same. You might argue the game is easier since you now have way more options to do anything you want, but there's nothing outside of classes, kits, items and expanded spellbooks to disrupt your playthrough.

That's enough to ruin the game. If you don't think "time stop" or the like is disrupting, as any kind of challenge is suppressed since enemies don't have access to the spells or anything to counter you, I think you are a story mode enjoyer or something. Icewind dale story mode enjoyer to be more precise.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Personally, I didn't like the alignment changes to some of the companions. And I'm not sure if Dak'kon's blade has been fixed... which is lol-worthy.
I would play like it was back in the day, with the shitty resolution and all, but I can't blame anyone for going the Enhanced way. Just make sure you check what alignment your companions had in the OG edition.
As far as I've been able to find, the only change is that Nordom changed from CN to LN.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah. He's supposed to be corrupted. So his alignment should be changed.

I'm not sure if that was MCA's change, but it feels like a Lucas move. It made more sense the way it was.

IWD got modified by having it BG2-ified but other than that the game stays the same. You might argue the game is easier since you now have way more options to do anything you want, but there's nothing outside of classes, kits, items and expanded spellbooks to disrupt your playthrough.

That's enough to ruin the game. If you don't think "time stop" or the like is disrupting, as any kind of challenge is suppressed since enemies don't have access to the spells or anything to counter you, I think you are a story mode enjoyer or something. Icewind dale story mode enjoyer to be more precise.
IIRC you only get time stop scroll with 2 fights left in the game (at the end of HoW, at which point you have to go back to finish up the main campaign). And you can, of course, just ignore it. It's mostly fine as long as you stay away from the Sorcerer class.

Radiane

Cipher
original PS:T I played like a dozen years ago, I hardly remember anything about it. Back then I also wasn't that much into narrative driven games.
But recently I got the urge to replay this game and enjoy its story once more, so I just installed the EE version because I thought, if it is just "technically advanced" like so many ppl state, without any (?) useless story modifications, then hey, why not go directly with the more "advanced" option, and start playing the EE....well, right at the start of the game I ran into some very strange "things" (bugs of course, but I'll still let everyone decide on his own how to refer to those)

-On the second floor of the mortuary, (where some dustman will ask you what your business is there) I didn't stop him/her from calling the guards, which resulted in all npcs on all the floors to become hostile, so I did kill the NPCs on that and the previous floor. When I then entered the ground floor (with the main entrance) I was killed by one of the giant skeletons there, but, no big deal I thought, the main char revives anyway, so I continued. Everything seemed normal up to this point. The NPCs on the floor where the game begins all remained dead, but the ones on second floor were all reset, again one dustman approaching me and initiating dialogue.... (was this bug in the original also ?)

-Ok, no big deal I thought and simply played on, and, after meeting the dustmen on the 1st floor (where the main entrance is), things began to become a bit more weird. All the dustmen there alternated between being friendly/neutral and hostile, the circle beneath them just kept changing between red and blue per second or so. One second they are blue, the other second they are red... And indeed, if they are clicked on when they are blue, you initate their standard dialogue, but when you click on them while they are red you fight the (corresponding) dustman. What bullcrap is that. That was the point where I just stopped playing, who knows what else is messed up in this game

Also what really pisses me off is when people post on various forums that they never encountered any bugs on their dozens or so playthroughs, implying that the EE is technically super well done, whereas it's simply piss easy to reproduce those certain bugs.

Edit: Clarified a bit. Also while I honestly don't intend on jumping on the bandwagon of calling beamdog extraordinarily bad, just stating my experiences.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Yeah. He's supposed to be corrupted. So his alignment should be changed.

I'm not sure if that was MCA's change, but it feels like a Lucas move. It made more sense the way it was.
It's an MCA change probably. There's a forum thread from way back when where people convinced him Nordom's alignment should be flipped.

Martyr

Arcane
playing these games after downloading them isn't half as satisfying as changing the CDs multiple times during your playthrough. :outrage:

playing these games after downloading them isn't half as satisfying as changing the CDs multiple times during your playthrough. :outrage:
To continue insert CD2

CD2 is scratched beyond belief and will refuse to run

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom