Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda Presents - Prey 2 (CANCELLED)

ortucis

Prophet
Heh!

http://kotaku.com/#!5781226/the-next-ga ... -is-prey-2

prey2.jpg

EDIT: Shots..
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/our-fi ... of-prey-2/

spekkio

Arcane
I have to confess that I enjoyed Prey. For what it was - a FPS with a single cool gimminck (fucked-up gravity).

As for the sequel...

:M

Ermm

Erudite
Prey was good, but it sucked that main hero was a another Highlander blessed with immortality.
Otherwise it was lots of fun, but it sucks that I managed to complete the game in one day (was bored then).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I don't know why but when I hear about "Prey", I automatically think about "Power Slave".

A user named cat

Prey had some fun things going for it and an interesting alien atmosphere, but the guns were terrible and felt weak, plus the retarded resurrection mini-game became way too tedious.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Granted I never played Prey but (from appearances) nothing about it stuck me as anything exceptional. However, for whatever reason I see people talk about it all the time.

A user named cat

Probably because it was in developement for over 10 yeras or something. Could've turned out worse, I'd say it's worth playing once to check out.

Data4

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
Probably because it was in developement for over 10 yeras or something. Could've turned out worse, I'd say it's worth playing once to check out.

I have a theory that the original ideas for Prey when it was announced by Epic on the heels of Quake were scrapped and what ended up being released was cobbled together quickly and shat out on Id tech 4. I remember all the gaming mags talking about how Prey would be the Quake killer, before it disappeared completely. Then, all of the sudden, it's like "Sup, guys? I'm Prey! lol." I never played it, since the original hype premise was rendered moot by it being on an id engine.

Antihero

Liturgist
spekkio said:
I have to confess that I enjoyed Prey. For what it was - a FPS with a single cool gimminck (fucked-up gravity).
I'd also include spirit walking, and even your spirit guide bird (whatever it was again, a hawk or falcon) to some degree, at least where it translates the alien language for you.

Phantasmal said:
plus the retarded resurrection mini-game became way too tedious.
It seemed like a theoretically OK way to prevent perpetual save-game reloading if you couldn't otherwise get more needed health or spirit energy to progress. But I can't remember now how much time you had to reload after dying before going to the spirit realm if you didn't want to bother with it. Maybe they also gave too much health or energy back if you were a good enough shot with the bow, but I don't really remember feeling beleaguered by it as something that made the game worse.

Data4 said:
I never played it, since the original hype premise was rendered moot by it being on an id engine.
But arguably the best game to come out on id Tech 4. Maybe that's not saying much, but it seemed to do all right on its engine of choice. I didn't have any previous expectations for the game to feel disappointed about either.

ortucis

Prophet
Prey was fun. Had great graphics and level design overall. I also enjoyed the boss-fights.

Pretty much why I am looking forward to the sequel. Looks like Bethesda is the only option left for good old developers who don't want to shittify their work thanks to the inpurt from other publishers.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rasputin said:
Otherwise it was lots of fun, but it sucks that I managed to complete the game in one day (was bored then).

It took me 6 hours, back-to-back. I still feel ripped off.

Deakul

Augur
Too bad Prey was terribly mediocre.
Standard shooter fare with an interesting graphics style, particularly how everything was pretty much biomechanical.

Weapons looked cool but felt puny and were really just variants on shotguns, chainguns, flamethrowers, and rocket launchers.

Story was crap.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
WTF, Joystick are still around? Man, I used to read them almost 20 years ago...

Antihero said:
spekkio said:
I'd also include spirit walking, and even your spirit guide bird (whatever it was again, a hawk or falcon) to some degree, at least where it translates the alien language for you.
What, everyone's talking about Prey's gimmicks and no one mentions portals? :rpgcodex: Back when it was being developer in-house at Apogee/3D Realms that was the big gimmick. There were some pretty nifty uses of it in the final game too.

I like Prey. The corridor bits were shit as expected (though not any shittier than Doom 3, or any other corridor shooters), but the game really shines in the open spaces. The dying minigame was meh, but I always relied on save/load anyway so I don't think I ever went through it. Level design was good to great, and the game integrated regular and vehicle action really well. Graphics were beautiful. Some good boss fights, and even the ability to sneak in some sections (there's a level full of Keepers or whatever those things were called; didn't fire a single shot). It's miles better than what FPS has now become synonymous with. If Humand Head are developing it and they can take the original formula and improve, I'm all for it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
WTF, Joystick are still around? Man, I used to read them almost 20 years ago...

Antihero said:
spekkio said:
What, everyone's talking about Prey's gimmicks and no one mentions portals? :rpgcodex: Back when it was being developer in-house at Apogee/3D Realms that was the big gimmick. There were some pretty nifty uses of it in the final game too.

I like Prey. The corridor bits were shit as expected (though not any shittier than Doom 3, or any other corridor shooters), but the game really shines in the open spaces. The dying minigame was meh, but I always relied on save/load anyway so I don't think I ever went through it. Level design was good to great, and the game integrated regular and vehicle action really well. Graphics were beautiful. Some good boss fights, and even the ability to sneak in some sections (there's a level full of Keepers or whatever those things were called; didn't fire a single shot). It's miles better than what FPS has now become synonymous with. If Humand Head are developing it and they can take the original formula and improve, I'm all for it.

Yep, it is one of the last decent and most imaginative 'big' FPS games. Predictable shitty edginess from the Codex means nothing(soon Codex will be saying that Doom is shit. :roll: ); as it's a great game for all the reasons mentioned. Portals fucking rocked, the weirdness and gravity, shrinking etc. were wonderfully implemented. A sequel as good or better in the current climate would be very welcome.

ortucis

Prophet
Apparently Prey 2 is using idTech 5 and Zenimax owns the rights to the game as well.

Gamasutra link.

Bethesda Softworks on Monday confirmed it is publishing the first-person shooter Prey 2, due in 2012 and under development by Madison, WI-based Human Head Studios.

Prey 2 will be the first video game out of Human Head since the original Prey in 2006, which came out for PC, and was ported to Xbox 360 by Venom Games. Aspyr later brought the game to Mac. The sequel is slated for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and PC as a Games for Windows title.

Whispers of a Prey sequel have been circulating for years. In 2009, a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office entry showed that ZeniMax, parent to companies including Bethesda and id Software, acquired the Prey license, giving more weight to reports of a Prey follow-up.

Bethesda said Prey 2 will be built on the "cutting edge id tech engine from id Software," but did not specify if the game is running on the latest id Tech 5 engine, which is powering id's upcoming action game Rage.

The original Prey ran on the id Tech 4 engine. Reps for Bethesda did not immediately respond to an inquiry about the sequel's engine.

The original Prey, published by 2K Games and overseen by 3D Realms, revolved around a Cherokee called Tommy who, along with his girlfriend and grandfather, are abducted from a Native American reservation by aliens.

Prey 2 project lead Chris Rhinehart said Prey 2 will have "fast-paced action in an open, alien world. We’re excited to show gamers the title we have been working on and hope they will be as excited by this title as we are."

:yeah:

"We are thrilled to be working with Bethesda on Prey 2," project lead Chris Rhinehart said in a statement. "Prey 2 will provide gamers the opportunity to explore a new facet of the Prey universe, one that offers fast-paced action in an open, alien world. We're excited to show gamers the title we have been working on and hope they will be as excited by this title as we are."

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Marquess Cornwallis said:
the big problem with Prey was that its demo was the best the game had to offer and it went steeply downhill from there.
I've never played the demo, but if it was the first handful of levels then it was the shittiest part of the game: scripted events and dark corridors with none of the gimmicks and open spaces that make the game actually enjoyable. It gets so much better with the portals, gravity and other weirdness, not to mention the tremendous improvement in level design, that I really have to wonder if we were playing the same game.

commie said:
Yep, it is one of the last decent and most imaginative 'big' FPS games.
I didn't want to make this statement, but the more I try to find a good post-2006 FPS the more I'm convinced this is most probably true. It was the year after COD 2. Then COD 4 came out and that was it for the genre.

Portals fucking rocked, the weirdness and gravity, shrinking etc. were wonderfully implemented.
Heh, I had forgotten about the shrinking. I'm also reminded of one level towards the end, which consists of pure utter nothing then the rooms and walkways build themselves as you walk. It was shocking to see the engine capable of such things.

Sceptic said:
Marquess Cornwallis said:
the big problem with Prey was that its demo was the best the game had to offer and it went steeply downhill from there.
I've never played the demo, but if it was the first handful of levels then it was the shittiest part of the game: scripted events and dark corridors with none of the gimmicks and open spaces that make the game actually enjoyable. It gets so much better with the portals, gravity and other weirdness, not to mention the tremendous improvement in level design, that I really have to wonder if we were playing the same game.
The demo consisted of the first 5 (or 6?) levels if I recall correctly, about 1/4 of the whole game. My complaint is the same that Unkillable Cat made in the post I linked to -- all (if the memory serves) fun and original gameplay elements you mention were in the demo, and they were introduced in about the precise right intervals to make you eager to continue. The rest of the game however did not introduce anything else, only re-used the already existing mechanics in what I felt was not a very exciting way. You may be right about the improved level design, but to be honest, although I bought and finished the complete version, I can only remember the demo areas with any clarity. Not a bad game, just a bit of a disappointment to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom