Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda Presents - Prey 2 (CANCELLED)

Antihero

Liturgist
Sceptic said:
What, everyone's talking about Prey's gimmicks and no one mentions portals? :rpgcodex: Back when it was being developer in-house at Apogee/3D Realms that was the big gimmick. There were some pretty nifty uses of it in the final game too.
commie said:
Portals fucking rocked, the weirdness and gravity, shrinking etc. were wonderfully implemented. A sequel as good or better in the current climate would be very welcome.

Indeed. Slipped my mind to mention those, along with all the other cool stuff in the game. Didn't really feel like a gimmick either, just a damned cool thing at the time for exploration, and especially when you're going along one of those gravwalks and a portal opens up in front of you - at least it beats the monster closets in Doom 3.

gromit

Arcane
Just wanted to say that, while technically accurate, it's not intellectually honest to say Prey was in development for 10 years, even though the project was never once "cancelled." Several different games called Prey, with an astonishing number of similarities to one another, were partway developed since 1995 while playing musical chairs with the talent, the property finally being outsourced just so the fucking game would exist. 3DR is as 3DR does.

torpid

Liturgist
Hmmm, I'd heard that the game was bad, but now that Sceptic is extolling its virtues... To me the last good FPS games were the first Far Cry and FEAR. Far Cry is pretty open and allows for some rudimentary stealth, while FEAR is pure corridor shooting but has good, albeit repetitive, level design and nice gunplay. How does Prey compare to those two?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Similar to Far Cry in the way it alternates openness with corridor shooting (though the open levels in Prey are nowhere near as open as FC), but the similarities end here. The gunplay's a bit meh, not as fun as FEAR, but Prey's not as corridorish. Some of the creepy bits (like the ghost kids) kinda reminded me of FEAR actually, but the overall tone of the game is different. TBH the game's probably not as good as I'm making it look, but I have a deep-seated fondness for good level design in an FPS, and if the game can deliver enough of it to satisfy me then I can easily ignore other shortcomings. Prey's level design isn't uniformly good, but I enjoyed the set pieces a lot (I'd go into detailed description of them, but that'd ruin a lot of the fun if you do plan on playing the game) and that's probably influencing my overall opinion. Since those who have played both the demo and the full game say the demo's got a representative chunk of the whole game just grab it and see what you think for yourself. The entire game's pretty short anyway.

I like Prey too. It's a short but fun experience. Spirit world minigame sucks but I just ignore it and press quickload after dying. Way more fun that way. And in some aspects it's still a beautiful game to this day I think. Weapon design especially. Definitely the best looking D3 engine game. Also, great to play when stoned.
It seems like they may be using the same engine for the sequel, not the new Id Tech, which really is fine by me. If the sequel manages to be at least as good as the first one, it will surely be an incline over most other shooters nowadays.

ortucis

Prophet
They are using idTech 4.5 probably. Considering what I have seen from idTech 4, it still manages to look great after all these years with few upgrades (Prey, Wolfenstein).

Sucks that they couldn't use idTech5 but maybe for Prey 3 they will (esp. with Zenimax owning the IP and the tech).

torpid

Liturgist
Sceptic said:
Similar to Far Cry in the way it alternates openness with corridor shooting (though the open levels in Prey are nowhere near as open as FC), but the similarities end here. The gunplay's a bit meh, not as fun as FEAR, but Prey's not as corridorish. Some of the creepy bits (like the ghost kids) kinda reminded me of FEAR actually, but the overall tone of the game is different. TBH the game's probably not as good as I'm making it look, but I have a deep-seated fondness for good level design in an FPS, and if the game can deliver enough of it to satisfy me then I can easily ignore other shortcomings. Prey's level design isn't uniformly good, but I enjoyed the set pieces a lot (I'd go into detailed description of them, but that'd ruin a lot of the fun if you do plan on playing the game) and that's probably influencing my overall opinion. Since those who have played both the demo and the full game say the demo's got a representative chunk of the whole game just grab it and see what you think for yourself. The entire game's pretty short anyway.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Multidirectional said:
It seems like they may be using the same engine for the sequel, not the new Id Tech
Really? Wikipedia listed the game as using idTech 5, and while they're not the most reliable source I thought that made sense. Got any link to official info on the engine? I'd like more info on the game if it's available.

torpid said:
Thanks, I'll give it a shot :salute:
Do post your opinion if you do, I'm curious to see what you'll think of it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the link Antihero. While I'd normally trust RPS even less than Wikipedia the Todd reference seems genuine.

Now, for some lulz from the article.

Now, let’s all go ahead and bitterly presume a whole lot of stuff about exactly what we’re 100% sure the game will be like, based solely on one pre-rendered posey image that was probably primarily picked because someone thought it looked cool and might sell more magazines. Yes, that’ll be useful.
Seems aimed at the Codex :smug:

If it is, as seems probable, id Tech 4 powering this sequel, don’t get all panicky
Graphic whore detected. idTech 4 looks exactly as good as the New Shit thanks to Xbox 360 having been released a few months before Prey. There's no need to go on defending how the engine still looks OK even after all these years! as he does right after the quoted text.

The press release that went out yesterday probably shouldn’t have said “the cutting edge id Tech engine from id Software”
To be fair, he does have a point there. Though technically idTech 4 is right now still the Cutting Edge From id Software, since RAGE hasn't been released yet :M

Twinkle

Liturgist
The only good thing I remember about Prey was monsters popping out from giant vaginas. Also, some of the gravity tricks made me wanna puke, so Prey definitely delivered in immersion department. Other than that it was shit.

Luzur

Good Sir
Twinkle said:
The only good thing I remember about Prey was monsters popping out from giant vaginas. Also, some of the gravity tricks made me wanna puke, so Prey definitely delivered in immersion department. Other than that it was shit.

it had its moments when you where gunning down things while standing upside down on the roof , but otherwise it was an ordinary FPS.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
That reminds me, Prey is the only game I've played where I actually *used* the screen on my G-15 while playing a game. It showed me my position in relations to what is normally considered "down".

It was fun to look at for a few minutes, but otherwise absolutely useless, as I can't remember there ever being an actual need to be aware of your bearings in-game... because if that was the case, then they wouldn't have delegated this feature to a 3rd party app used by a fringe group of people.

And Sceptic helped me remember a scene from Prey that's actually NOT in the demo and was pretty cool. So that's one. Not exactly a big improvement, but fair is fair.

EDIT: Typo.

Ermm

Erudite
I hope they will have that Indian dude back in sequel.
Also, I really hope that you won't be immortal (like in last game).

ortucis

Prophet
Rasputin said:

I missed that part. When were you immortal in Prey?

I remember quicksaving and quickloading after dying so..

Antihero

Liturgist
ortucis said:
Rasputin said:

He means going to the spirit realm after you die where you shoot red or blue wraiths ("dishonoured spirits") with the bow to regain health or energy before getting sucked back to the land of the living.

Rumour is you'll be a white Federal Marshal from the plane crash this time around, though. Maybe he'll have some Cherokee blood in him, but I doubt it.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LLOLLOLLOL HOW ABOUT YOU ALL JERK YOURSELVIES OFF WHILE PLAYING HALO!!!!!

ortucis

Prophet
Antihero said:
ortucis said:
Rasputin said:

He means going to the spirit realm after you die where you shoot red or blue wraiths ("dishonoured spirits") with the bow to regain health or energy before getting sucked back to the land of the living.

How is that being immortal when you die to go their? It's just a longer version of quick-load anyway and not even forced on the player (like I said, quicksave/quickload are available).

ortucis

Prophet
http://pc.ign.com/articles/116/1162331p1.html

Assassins Creed/GTA in alien world of Prey. Nice (idTech 4 upgraded, like Wolfenstein).

prey-2-20110415022115205_640w.jpg

prey-2-20110415022122517_640w.jpg

Phelot

Arcane
Oooooh this looks cool at first glance!

That city looks awesome. Reminds me of what Syndicate might have looked like in 3D

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Did the first even sell well enough to merit a sequel?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom