Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG1 nitpicking (items/creatures/descriptions etc)

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I am currently working on a list of remaining issues that can be easily fixed for BG1+TotSC. This is being made using official patch (5512) + BG fix pack + unfinished business. Maybe some of these are already fixed in some packages, or I might be wrong in what I think should be the fix, so before I proceed making the changes I need some opinions.

I'm still working on the list, but here is what I have compiled at the moment to have an idea (in red the bug, in green the fix):

Text corrections
Ashideena: +1 Cold damage to +1 Electrical damage
Potion of fortitude: Dexterity: Set to 18 to Constitution: Set to 18
Charm person spell: saving throw (of which he receives a +3 modifier) to saving throw (of which he receives a +2 modifier)
Charm Person or Mammal: saving throw vs. spells to avoid the effect (with a +3 modifier). to saving throw vs. spells to avoid the effect.
Command: Saving Throw: None to Saving Throw: Negates Effect

Item corrections
Robe of the Evil Archmagi: price 10500 to 20500 (like the Good/Neutral versions)
Two Handed Sword +1: STR required 13 to 14 like for the rest of 2-H swords
Gift of Peace: remove duplicate save vs breath effect
The diary of Sarevok: type from Broken shield/Bracelet to Misc/Book
Arrow of Detonation: base damage from 0D2 to 1D6

Creatures
Air Aspect: class from mage to wyvern
Davaeron: general from monster to humanoid
Demon Knight: general from humanoid to undead
Koveras: alignment from neutral to chaotic evil
sirine: alignment from neutral to chaotic neutral
Sil: alignment from neutral to chaotic neutral
skeleton warrior: general from monster to undead
Shoal: alignment from neutral to chaotic neutral
Ulcaster: race from human to spectre
wyvern (baby/regular/greater): class from mage to wyvern

Technically, 'Koveras' should be Neutral Evil, not Chaotic Evil. NE is AD&D's 'most evil' alignment - evil undiluted by a preference for either lawful or chaotic features. More importantly (and less disputably), Neutral Evil is still capable of working with an internally rule-governed organisation (even if he discards them to make his dash for godhood); I forget their name (the 'Iron' something), but BG has him as running the local chapter of that mercenary/trade organisation up until he makes his dash for godhood.

[gameplay wise, it's obvious why they had the alignment as neutral when you meet him as 'Koveras' - shitty design choice, but not a bug.]

gunman

Arcane
Developer
The spells are a mess, most of the descriptions are inaccurate. I have to slowly go through each one of them and correct in the description the most important information like duration and casting time. Many have a fixed duration while the description states the duration scales with level.

I started with cleric/druid spells:

Chant: Duration: 5 rounds to Duration: 10 rounds
Draw Upon Holy Might: Casting Time: 2 to Casting Time: 5
Shillelagh: Duration: 4 rounds + 1 round/level to 13 rounds
Aid: Duration 1 round + 1 round/level to 7 rounds
Flame Blade: Duration: 4 rounds + 1 round/level to 10 rounds, Flame Blade item: change base damage from 1D2+4 to 1D4+2
Silence 15' Radius: Duration: 2 rounds/level to 10 rounds
Spiritual Hammer: Duration: 3 rounds + 1 round/level to 10 rounds
Glyph of Warding: Casting Time: Special to Casting Time: 1 round, Saving Throw: Special to Saving Throw: Negates Effect
Hold Animal: Casting Time: 5 to Casting Time: 6, Duration: 2 rounds/level to 10 rounds, add to description: "... saving throws (with a -3 penalty)..."
Protection from Fire: Duration: 1 turn/level to Duration: 5 turns
Invisibility Purge: Casting Time: 8 to Casting Time: 7

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You should report these fixes to Trent & co. Maybe they'll even pay you.

waywardOne

Arcane
Davaeron: general from monster to humanoid

so a hold monster would work on davaeron?

In theory, yes. In reality, he has several undroppable cheat items, one of them being a Ring of Free Action.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A noble goal, if somewhat pointless. Good luck.

Patches are pointless now ? I don't know for you but even little fixes are welcome in my book.
New players won't notice while most old players either don't care, won't bother to look for a fix or even prefer such quirks intact, as the true nostalgic experience. But then, there are players who do care (like you), so maybe pointless is not the right word. More like 'barely worth the time'.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
What happened to my avatar? Can someone explain why yesterday I had a proper avatar and now I have this placeholder?

gunman

Arcane
Developer
A noble goal, if somewhat pointless. Good luck.

Patches are pointless now ? I don't know for you but even little fixes are welcome in my book.
New players won't notice while most old players either don't care, won't bother to look for a fix or even prefer such quirks intact, as the true nostalgic experience. But then, there are players who do care (like you), so maybe pointless is not the right word. More like 'barely worth the time'.

I'm having quite fun doing it so it's not a matter of whether it's worth the time or not. The proper way to do it would be to change the spells to match the description instead of changing description to match the current behaviour, but this would take a huge amount of time and also the risk of breaking something would be high. Anyway, I started doing this for myself because I happen to start a BG1 game quite often, and thought of sharing it.

Oesophagus

Arcane
You know what would work? If you moved the lewt around in the game. It's no fun knowing exactly where you need to go to get the gear you need. And get rid of the Ankheg Plate and Ring of Wizardry, that cheese shouldn't exist

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ankheg Plate (...) that cheese shouldn't exist
Ankheg plate is not that good. Regular full plate + ring/amulet/cloak of protection is better.
but it's free, and you can get it long before you can afford/get full plate. I mean if it dropped in an encounter then fine
You can craft it... but it is pretty expensive. Or do you mean the one you can find by pixel-hunting in Nashkel? Yeah, that one should be removed.

Oesophagus

Arcane
You can craft it... but it is pretty expensive. Or do you mean the one you can find by pixel-hunting in Nashkel? Yeah, that one should be removed.

Yeah, with tutu you don't even need to pixel hunt, just press alt (or shift, can't remember)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom