Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG1 nitpicking (items/creatures/descriptions etc)

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Miscast Magic: Casting Time: 5 to Casting Time: 6, Duration: 1 turn to Duration: 17 rounds
Rigid Thinking: Casting Time: 1 round to Casting Time: 6, Duration: 1 round/level to Duration: 10 rounds
Animal Summoning I: Duration: 24 minutes to Duration: 33 rounds
Free Action: Casting Time: 5 to Casting Time: 4
Defensive Harmony: Duration: 6 rounds to Duration: 7 rounds
Protection From Lightning: Duration: 5 rounds/level to Duration: 35 rounds
Protection From Evil 10' radius: Duration: 1 turn/level to Duration: 7 turns
Animal Summoning II: Duration: 24 minutes to Duration: 33 rounds
Cure Critical Wounds: Casting Time: 8 to Casting Time: 7

Potion of Mirrored Eyes: Duration: 10 turns to Duration: 10 rounds
Protection from Petrification: Duration: 12 hours to Duration: 6 hours

Last edited:

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Thinking about adding missing weapon proficiencies to creatures

Ogres have 3 ranks in spiked weapons, but ogre berserkers have none -> add 3 ranks in large swords.
Ogre mages have 1 rank in spears but are equipped with large sword -> move rank into large swords.
Gnolls of any type do not have any proficiency, while flinds have 3 ranks in large swords. Thinking to add 1 rank in spears for gnolls, 2 ranks for veterans/elite/slasher and 3 ranks for chieftain.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So in all the 15 years and hundreds of mods since Baldur's Gate was released, nobody has actually fixed these things???

Last edited:

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
Demon Knight: general from humanoid to undead

Why undead? Is there nothing for demons or outsiders in general in BG1? I guess none really show up except for the Demon Knight until BG2.

It looks like the intended creature type is a Death Knight (deathk.cre). Aren't those supposed to be undead? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_knight_(Dungeons_&_Dragons) )

Ahh. I wonder if they pussed out and just changed the in game name because of the strangely large number of people who insist that Death Knights are supposed to be a Dragonlance exclusive thing. I guess when your setting only has like three good things going for it, it's important to cling to those things.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Well, at least some item and spell descriptions are clearly wrong and no one has bothered to fix them it seems. Dudley spell mod probably changed some spells to work as in description, but I wouldn't recomment using Dudley as there are some issue with it (like unable to access Ulgoth's Beard anymore from the Wyrm's Crossing map, you have to teleport there with the console). As for the other changes, like creature adjustments, they aren't bugs, more like oversights which don't have any impact on gameplay in 99% of cases. Hence the topic "nitpicking".

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You're probably better off investing the time into making your own tweakpack or other mod.

But whatever floats your boat.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Besides the creature fixes which can qualify as mod, for my personal use I will make other changes like: Raise Dead / Resurrection cause losing one point of CON permanently, because right now it is very cheap and there are no penalties.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Wizard spells lvl 1-2

Chromatic Orb: change damage at level 6 (Magnetism) from 2D8 to 2D4 as per description
Detect Evil: Casting Time: 1 round to Casting Time: 2
Horror: Duration: 10 rounds to Duration: 3 rounds, description from save vs. spells to save vs. spells (with a +2 bonus)
Invisibility: Duration: Special to Duration: 10 turns, description from twenty-four hours to two hours
Know Alignment: Casting Time: 1 round to Casting Time: 2, Saving Throws: Negates Effect to Saving Throws: None
Melf's Acid Arrow: Saving Throws: Special to Saving Throws: None
Mirror Image: Casting Time: 2 to Casting Time: 1
Stinking Cloud: Duration: 1 round/level to Duration: 10 rounds, description from saving throws to saving throws (with a +2 bonus)
Strength: Duration: 1 turn/level to Duration: 5 turns, Casting Time: 1 to Casting Time: 2
Ghoul Touch: Casting Time: 3 to Casting Time: 1
Vocalize: Duration: 10 rounds to Duration: Instantaneous

L.E.:
Armor: Duration: 9 hours to Duration: 12 hours
Color Spray: add (with a -3 penalty) to description
Friends: Duration: 1D4 rounds + 1 round/level to Duration: 15 rounds
Identification: Casting Time: Special to Casting Time: 1
Infravision: Casting Time: Special to Casting Time: 1
Shield: spell effect is missing the +1 saving throws
Sleep: Duration: 5 rounds/level to Duration: 10 rounds
Chill Touch: update description to reflect that saving throws apply only for the -2 THAC0 modifier, not to the 1D8 cold damage as well.

Last edited:

Linden

Arcane
Does Know Alignment really not have a saving throw? I seem to remember NPCs saving against it. But maybe I remember wrong. Or maybe it was magic resistance.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Wizard spells continued

Dispel Magic: Casting Time: 3 round to Casting Time: 5
Flame Arrow: School/Casting Graphics: Invocation to Conjuration, Saving Throws: None to Saving Throws: Half
Hold Person: Duration: 2 rounds/level to Duration: 10 rounds, description from saving throws to saving throws (with a -1 penalty)
Monster Summoning I: Duration: 12 minutes (1 minute) to Duration: 10 rounds (the same), Casting Time: 4 to Casting Time: 3
Non-Detection: Duration: 20 rounds to Duration: 10 rounds
Protection From Normal Missiles: Duration: 1 turn/level to Duration: 5 turns
Slow: Duration: 10 rounds to Duration: 8 rounds
Ghost Armor: Duration: 10 turns to Duration: 5 turns
Confusion: Duration: 2 rounds + 1 round/level to Duration: 10 rounds, Saving Throw: Special to Saving Throw: Negates Effect, remove saving throw penalty from description
Dimension Door: Casting Time: 1 to Casting Time: 2
Minor Globe of Invulnerability: Duration: 1 round/level to Duration: 10 rounds
Monster Summoning II: Duration: 12 minutes (1 minute) to Duration: 10 rounds (the same)
Remove Curse: Area of Effect: Special to Area of Effect: Creature Touched, Saving Throw: Special to Saving Throw: None
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere: Duration: 1 round/level to Duration: 7 rounds, Casting Time: 1 to Casting Time: 4, Saving Throw: Negates Effect to Saving Throw: None
Animate Dead: Casting Time: 1 round to Casting Time: 5
Cloud Kill: Duration: 1 round/level to Duration: 10 rounds
Monster Summoning III: change speed from 3 to 5 as per description, (M.S.II has speed 4, M.S.I has speed 3)
Shadow Door: Duration: 1 round/level to Duration: 10 rounds, Casting Time: 2 to Casting Time: 1
Hold Monster: Duration: 1 round/level to Duration: 9 rounds

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Means it just applies the effect, without any lasting component, like the Remove Curse or Identify spell. In this case, the effect is cure the Silence spell.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I see, but isn't the spell meant to override silence (for x amount of rounds) and not cure it?

Linden

Arcane
Jesus, is there a single spell description that isn't completely inaccurate? The amount seems staggering. :eek:

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I see, but isn't the spell meant to override silence (for x amount of rounds) and not cure it?

That's all the spell does:
UUavWFH.jpg

What the description says and what a spell actually does are usually different things in BG1.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Strange, the idea behind is spell in DnD is that it allows you to cast spells without talking, bypassing effects like silence. That's why it lasts for multiple rounds instead of curing silence, so that you can cast it while buffing before going into combat.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Most of the spells were changed as per description or as in P&P where the description and the implementation was ambiguous in "BG1 DudleyMod: Innate and Mage Spells" here:
http://www.forgottenwars.com/dudleyfix/bg1_spells.htm
and here:
http://www.forgottenwars.com/dudleyfix/bg1_spells_2.htm

So if you don't mind using something that would qualify as a mod, I would recommend using dudley tweaks. Looking at the work he put into this, too bad the guy abandoned this project, otherwise it would have been the ultimate BG patch and mod.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've only seen this bug only once, about 12 years ago, but I remember Quayle having a long sword proficiency due to the level-up algorithm ignoring the fact that he was a cleric.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Does anyone know how come Gorion was able to cast cleric spell heal on CHARNAME? Can characters cast any spell with scripting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom