Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

bg2 Screeshots requested

Andhaira

Arcane
Could someone post SCREENSHOTS of the endgame epitahs of Edwin, Cernd and Minsc from bg2 please? i need to see 'em for some reason. (screnshots only please, not the text since i remember that myself)

thanks!

afewhours

Scholar
I'm pretty certain you can find them on Gamebanshee... lessee...

Here's Cernd's

Here's Minsc's

Here's Edwin's

Just click where it says 'NPC's ending storyline' and you get a shiny screenshot.

That will be £10.50 plus VAT. Have a nice day.

afewhours

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
What's up with all of these BG threads as of late?

Because BG is the Codex's favourite game. Ignore all those people who say it's Radiation, or Half-Life or whatever that Black Isle RPG was called.

corvax

Augur
Baldur's Gate kicks ass. I've finally finished BGII...after 6 years of on and off playing, restarting, etc. Good game. Don't really care about silly discussions whether it classifies as an RPG or not...semantics. It's a damn good game. Wow...I used to be such a hater.

Zhirzzh

Scholar
If it's such a good game, why did it take you six years to get through? Were you ironmaning (new word?)?

afewhours

Scholar
Zhirzzh said:
If it's such a good game, why did it take you six years to get through?

It took me six years to finish Moby Dick, therefore it sucks. GOAL!

Well, this thread appears to have unravelled. Shall I carry on posting stupid remarks in it to elevate my post count? Is there any point to this? Is there any point to anything?

JOIN US NEXT WEEK AT RPGCODEX! ITS HEAVAN!

corvax

Augur
Zhirzzh said:
If it's such a good game, why did it take you six years to get through? Were you ironmaning (new word?)?

I wasn't a big fan of D&D mechanics back them. I'm not a big fan of them now. The difference is that my lazy ass took time to learn most of the things needed to play BGII. Six years was on and off. I'd play it one summer, barely finish the first dungeon, put the game away. Pick it up two years later or so...play it a bit further, experience few technical difficulties on my laptop, don't bother going back to it. I always liked the atmosphere, npcs, lore, and the environment. I didn't like D&D rules, respawning, lack of choices when it came to solving quests, the way "evil" was portrayed, and lastly overwhelming combat. On my last attempt I decided to be less judgmental and decided just to "roll with it". I also decided to actually learn more about D&D. The game became so much easier and it flowed so much better. I do realize that BGII has plenty of flaws should one compare its gameplay to Fallout or Geneforge. However, the game has also plenty to offer. After finishing BG, BGII, BGIITOB, I truly felt like I finished something "epic". I dunno, in the end it might just come down to a personal preference.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fuck now you reminded me I needed to finish my original BG1 playthrough. The game's namesake city is massive...and...kinda suck to navigate.

Ghoulem

Erudite
afewhours said:
Because BG is the Codex's favourite game. Ignore all those people who say it's Radiation, or Half-Life or whatever that Black Isle RPG was called.
BG isn't technically a game. It's a coping technique for retards.

DraQ

Arcane
Out of curiosity, what character build makes BG suck the least (as in squeezes the most interesting experience out of uninteresting game)?

I once managed to make it to Cloakwood, but lacked the willpower to continue.

afewhours

Scholar
DraQ said:
Out of curiosity, what character build makes BG suck the least (as in squeezes the most interesting experience out of uninteresting game)?

If you can't roll with BG's content as it is, I'd just put it down. I can't imagine changing your character build will improve your enjoyment that much.

If I was to pick one, I'd go with the mage. The mage is brittle and squishy as anything, so you have to think a bit more about what you're doing.

JrK

Prophet
afewhours said:
If I was to pick one, I'd go with the mage. The mage is brittle and squishy as anything, so you have to think a bit more about what you're doing.

Better yet, make that a fighter mage (any dual-class or multiclass combination will do) and think about what spells you will use as that. Meleeing with stoneskin/mirror image, bowyering while throwing fireballs around? Many possibilities, also very adaptable vs various powerful foes like liches and dragons.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ghoulem said:
afewhours said:

Wait, what? BG isn't technically a game? I can see that some people think it's a bad RPG... I won't even argue that, it's true. But irrational hate is about as fruitful as irrational praise, is it not? Do elaborate on your ire towards this game so I may come to understand your perspective.

Shannow

Waster of Time
screencaptureprofessiontl2.jpg

BG2 advertising c&c, the codex' new fad.

Murk

Arcane
That's a lot of faggots in your party.

Seriously? Nalia? Aerie? Anomen? AGGHHHRGGGHHHH

@ DraQ, depends are you playing 1, 2, both, or just ToB?

Simply put -- play a class that isn't very survivable. In 1 it's mages. in 2 it's any non-caster class.

Cleric wins all.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Enjoyable classes in BG are... well, bards. They're meh at everything but get interesting dialogue in BG 2 and some fun items to use. You'll have to rely on your wits to survive.

corvax

Augur
DraQ said:

I once managed to make it to Cloakwood, but lacked the willpower to continue.

Fighter, that is if you are playing a good-aligned party. There aren't any decent good-aligned fighters in the game. Period. You really only need one fighter. Then get Kivan or Coran or both and give one the bracers of archery and you will have an unstoppable sniper to help our your tank. Hell, even Minsc can be a good archer, more so with bracers of dexterity than archery...but then again you'd probably want the bracers of dexterity for yourself. Obviously you'll also need a mage, a thief (focus on detect traps then dual), and a healer...play around with those. Your tank and your sniper will destroy almost anything.

For an evil party there's Shar-Teel and bad ass Kagain. Though, Shar-Teel comes in late in the game. Once you have either one of those make sure you give them some ranged support. You could also pump up your charisma as you'll get just a tad more non-violent options, not many though.

Hope this helps. I used to be a total BG hater but as I kept playing it sort of "grew" on me. Heh, like mold ;) It's not a bad game, nor is it the best game evah. Forget about all the negativity and just have fun with it.

Ghoulem

Erudite
Jasede said:
Ghoulem said:
afewhours said:

Wait, what? BG isn't technically a game? I can see that some people think it's a bad RPG... I won't even argue that, it's true. But irrational hate is about as fruitful as irrational praise, is it not? Do elaborate on your ire towards this game so I may come to understand your perspective.

I'm not biting, obvious Jasede.
All I did was trying to insult afewhours, after he insulted Nuclear Hassan's Radiative Adventure 4.

Radisshu

Prophet
Jasede said:
Enjoyable classes in BG are... well, bards. They're meh at everything but get interesting dialogue in BG 2 and some fun items to use. You'll have to rely on your wits to survive.

Blades are pretty cool, especially with that chainmail that lets you cast spells and the blade of roses. And they get the most entertaining stronghold.

Keldorn

Scholar
hussar said:
Baldur's Gate kicks ass.

Only if you have a soft spot for generic, pseudo-medieval, high-fantasy massivity. Since I do, it is my favorite RPG of all time. But if you don't, BG can induce a viciously vitriolic allergic reaction.

But objectively speaking, Fallout 1 & 2, Arcanum and PS:T are more true to the genuine CRPG elements from the golden era of CRPG's (1997-2002). BG2 lacks some integral things according to the standards set by those games : uniqueness, seriousness and choices & consequences.

If I could produce & release BG3, it would have less of a linear protagonist vs. antagonist storyline focus, it would have less of the arbitrary silliness, it would have NONE of the misleading & replicative false dialogue choices, and it would have MUCH more impactful and varied moments of genuine choices and consequences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom