Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Gelbvieh

Educated
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
This pic is raising so many questions for me:
Wolf_Screenshot_.jpg

Bestiality or Necro? Is it both if it's the latter?
Will they be exploring these questions?

Do I still fap?

I'm terribly excited by the potential for evildoing. Something along the lines of Prince of Thorns (if anyone has read that) would be a joy! It's pretty rare for an RPG to reward evil gameplay, and although you are still saving the stupid world, maybe at least this will let you do it... badly? For lots of cash & hookers.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Now made decent story end evil choices Which won't be chaotic stupid and we're set Baby. :smug:

I'm pretty confident they can write a compelling story. Curious about how they will manage with the rest of the game considering their collective inexperience with the genre.

Will be updating the first post as more info is released.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm pretty confident they can write a compelling story. Curious about how they will manage with the rest of the game considering their collective inexperience with the genre.

Probably getting some inspiration from pen and paper sessions. A developer who first makes an adventure game set in the DSA world, and then an RPG, is sure to play the DSA pen and paper RPG.

norolim

Arcane
WTF is this all about? There has to be some evil plot behind it. TB RPG after TB RPG...by the time this week ends, will have 50 new TB RPGs announced.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Okay, I finally understood what The Dark Eye refers to. Why don't they call it Realms of Arkania? Isn't that how people recognize what world we are talking about?

mondblut

Arcane
Blackguards features hordes of lethal creatures and other enemies waiting to be taken care of on more than 170 unique battlemaps.

Pft, no proper RPG ever bothers to recognize how many "battlemaps" it has and whether they are "unique" at all. Railroaded SJRPG detected, not interested :obviously:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Amusingly the trademark to Realms of Arkania™ are up for grabs, they are in DEAD status. I have no idea who owns the IP though.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Incredible! :D

This is insane. How the fuck am I supposed to find the money, and more importantly the freaking TIME to play all this?

Anyhow, being set in Aventuria this is a must play for me. Hopefully it will have Realms of Arkania influences (disease for instance, real adventuring, etc) The bummer is that you gen one pc, the rest are companions you pick up. Apart from that it seems great.

I also wish it was a seamless world without loading, like Ultima 7 or Dungeon Siege.

Xavier0889

Learned
Realms of Arkania used the 3rd edition rules of Das Schwarze Auge, while the most recent version is 4.1 IIRC. Probably they don't use the RoA name because of that as well?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Amusingly the trademark to Realms of Arkania™ are up for grabs, they are in DEAD status. I have no idea who owns the IP though.

Crafty Studios is still working on that Blade of Destiny remake/remastering/whatever thing, dunno how that fits in with the trademark being up for grabs.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Pft, no proper RPG ever bothers to recognize how many "battlemaps" it has and whether they are "unique" at all. Railroaded SJRPG detected, not interested :obviously:

1262364748-00.jpg

Clearly not :obviously:, you need at least 10.000 scrolling game screens for that.

mondblut does not consider any of the IE games as 'proper' rpgs. Due to the RTwP nature. Also because if you play a paladin you get screwed if you do evil

mondblut

Arcane
Clearly not :obviously:, you need at least 10.000 scrolling game screens for that.

There is a subtle difference between "battlemaps" and "game screens". The use of the former with both the number and uniqueness stressed clearly spells a bunch of set-piece scenarios strung together. AKA SJRPG.

An RPG proper either creates battlemaps on the fly (randomly or deriving them from non-battle layout), or reuses each one a thousand times and does not care nearly enough to mention about them being unique. Stressing "we have 170 unique battlemaps" (of all numeric things they could have stressed, we're speaking RPG here) equals "we have exactly 170 battles", until proven otherwise.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There is a subtle difference between "battlemaps" and "game screens". The use of the former with both the number and uniqueness stressed clearly spells a bunch of set-piece scenarios strung together. AKA SJRPG.

An RPG proper either creates battlemaps on the fly (randomly or deriving them from non-battle layout), or reuses each one a thousand times and does not care nearly enough to mention about them being unique. Stressing "we have 170 unique battlemaps" (of all numeric things they could have stressed, we're speaking RPG here) equals "we have exactly 170 battles", until proven otherwise.

Was just making a good natured pun. :)

Anyways, you make a good point, i do expect this to be more akin to a SRPG than an open world RPG, but these 170 unique maps could pertain to 170 unique environments to do battle in, with the number of actual possible encounters being much greater.

That could signify a battle screen (HMM, Conquistador, etc) instead battling it out in the actual zone map.

I hope this is the aproach they use instead of having 170 battle maps = 170 battles. At this point we can only speculate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom