Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Okay, I finally understood what The Dark Eye refers to. Why don't they call it Realms of Arkania? Isn't that how people recognize what world we are talking about?
Arkania was only ever used in the English translations of the German games. Later it was replaced by the German name altogether, Aventuria.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I've been replaying the same old cRPGs to death over the years. It's kind of hard to comprehend that soon I'll have to play a whole lot of new ones.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Finished playing everything i have an even remote interest in playing, in terms of rpg's. Currently devoid of games except for a copy of Uncharted 3 sitting besides my PS3, which i have little motivation to pick up.

Conquistador can't come soon enough, i need something new to play...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You know, even the prospect of actually being able to play a shitty turn based cRPG was unheard of back when the codex started. :lol:

Anyways, I'll stay hopeful with the glass being half full. Instead of half empty.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sure, I'd rather play a problematic TB cRPG than a polished AAA streamlined production. It's just that not all of the games that are now coming out can realistically be good. Hopefully they will not all be bad :D

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That could signify a battle screen (HMM, Conquistador, etc) instead battling it out in the actual zone map.

I hope this is the aproach they use instead of having 170 battle maps = 170 battles. At this point we can only speculate.

I'm pretty certain it means they have a battle screen. Just look at the screenshots, it's pretty obvious. Having exactly 170 battles would be retarded, it's probably more like 170 battlemaps with different tilesets and environmental elements such as cover and obstacles.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
You know, even the prospect of actually being able to play a shitty turn based cRPG was unheard of back when the codex started. :lol:

Anyways, I'll stay hopeful with the glass being half full. Instead of half empty.
I never really thought about this. The Codex was born when TB RPGs died? Maybe this is some kind of reincarnation thing and in order for turn-based combat to return, the Codex must die. A very bittersweet ending. Circle of life, man.
:salute:

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm pretty certain it means they have a battle screen. Just look at the screenshots, it's pretty obvious. Having exactly 170 battles would be retarded, it's probably more like 170 battlemaps with different tilesets and environmental elements such as cover and obstacles.

In the interview they claim the game is a TBS/RPG hybrid. Limited amount of battles would make sense then. It works the same way in Expeditions: Conquistador, IIRC.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Added the PCGamer preview to the original post, nothing much added in terms of information but these 2 tidbits are my favorites:

The skill system—and you’ll have control of every party member’s progression—is intricate. It’s the kind of thing that I’d have to personally mess with for at least a few hours (like, three or three hundred) before meaningfully appraising. For instance, adding points to weapon skills comes with a supplementary decision: a slider which lets you balance how much you contribute to the character’s offensive and defensive capabilities with that weapon. This is serious RPG business.

On that note, the story doesn’t involve much sunshine. You are a guy with problems: your girlfriend was killed by a wolf, and you tried to kill the wolf (at least, you’re pretty sure you didn’t kill her instead), but no one is having it. Not only are you accused of murder, the guy torturing you is your best friend. Crappy day.

poetic codex

Augur
Anyone remember Broken Hourglass?

Don't you think if they had stuck it out a little bit longer they could have reaped the benefits of this incline?

kaizoku

Arcane
:lol:

WTF! What's up with this sudden stream of interesting games?
Just found out about this one in hoverdog's sticky thread.

How I felt already
qcAjI8m.jpg

How I feel about this
vIffTj2.jpg

Kim Jong Un can bomb the world in 2015, leaving it unsafe to go outside for some years.
I'll have plenty of games to keep me busy.

Guys, I think I have a theory that explains the nature of this rise of incline...the development of good RPGs has jumped into the current exponential growth curve. According to my numerous math calculations, the incline should reach an unnaturally high amount in the coming future decades. :incline:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I hope Daedalic took a few cues from Drakensang: River of Time and non combat skills will be important too (plus plenty of skill checks).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

We caught up with executive producer Kai Fiebig to discuss Daedalic Entertainment's first attempt at a strategy-RPG - Blackguards - set in the world of The Dark Eye.

"After we had made a lot of adventures and we have a lot of people in our offices, more than 120, all asking "can we do another game - something different?". And we said yes, it's a cool idea so let's start. After a while we came up with an RPG... because we can tell stories and RPGs is next to the adventure genre the best thing to tell stories."

"It's a dark game. It's a really dark game. It's about bad guys saving the world by coincidence... They don't really care about the world itself, they only care about their asses."

Daedalic hopes to release the game by the end of the year, but only if it lives up their own expectations.

"It's for Steam, PC, Mac, and we're trying to play around with some consoles and we're also playing around with iPad versions."

And they think about multiplayer mode as post-release content (for free).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
"It's a dark game. It's a really dark game. It's about bad guys saving the world by coincidence... They don't really care about the world itself, they only care about their asses."

-Grimdark ✓
-Tryhard ✓
-Edgy ✓
-Badass ✓

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

-Grimdark ✓
-Tryhard ✓
-Edgy ✓
-Badass ✓

-Turn-based ✓
-Hex-grid ✓
-Party-based ✓
-Deep character system ✓

:yeah:

evdk

Patron
"It's for Steam, PC, Mac, and we're trying to play around with some consoles and we're also playing around with iPad versions."
:decline:
But nobody asked about the most important RPG feature of today - are gay romances confirmed?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Always keen to play more with the Dark Eye system. Will be watching this keenly.

I just wish all of these new turnbased RPGs would be released in a more staggered manner. I'm so starved for decent games I've bought a couple of the Choice of Game feminist lovefest CYOAs. Oh well, only a few days to Expeditions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom