Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I very much doubt a gay, old, washed-up developer could make a good CRPG in the year of our lord 2024.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
He wants now, after TOW became a laughing stock.
I think he's not responsible for TOW in ways he legally can't express, and in ways he doesn't have a stomach to considering his book release paralysis, so I sympathise

Viata

Arcane
I very much doubt a gay, old, washed-up developer could make a good CRPG in the year of our lord 2024.
That is my problem with those videos. They gave me the feeling of "old man yells at clouds", because his most recent input was shit. So far, he has proved that no, he can't make a good CRPG anymore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This should be good:

I talk about the five best computer role playing games of the 21st century from which to learn about RPG development...and exactly what each one teaches you. Plus, I add in three runners up, including why they didn't make the cut.

This video is a companion piece to the one about my top 5 video games.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Arbiter
This should be good:

I talk about the five best computer role playing games of the 21st century from which to learn about RPG development...and exactly what each one teaches you. Plus, I add in three runners up, including why they didn't make the cut.

1. World of Warcraft,
2. Elden Ring,
3. Skyrim,
4. Fallout: New Vegas,
5. Baldur's Gate 3.

Runner ups:
1. Bloodlines,
2. Half-Life 2,
3. Vampire Survivors.

:timcain:

Redshirt #42

Augur
This should be good:

1. World of Warcraft,
2. Elden Ring,
3. Skyrim,
5. Baldur's Gate 3.

Runner ups:
1. Bloodlines,
2. Half-Life 2,
3. Vampire Survivors.

It's so over.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the five best computer role playing games of the 21st century from which to learn about RPG development

^This is key here. Although he probably really means "AAA RPG development".

I mean, if your goal to make "New Vegas 2: Still Popamole But Now With Even Better Writing", you need to have played Skyrim. Like it or not, you have to be familiar with what's out there - the types of experiences your audience is familiar with.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
A better topic would be pre-21st century RPG master class, in which Tim discusses games that are actually worth learning from.

My tentative top 5:

1. Fallout (how to do structure in an open world non-linear game)
2. Pool of Radiance (how to do a low level adventure)
3. Ultima Underworld (how to make non-combat gameplay just as engaging as combat)
4. Rogue (how dying and losing all progress can be fun and addictive)
5. Planescape: Torment (how to do a narrative-heavy game without it becoming a movie)

Viata

Arcane
This should be good:

1. World of Warcraft,
2. Elden Ring,
3. Skyrim,
5. Baldur's Gate 3.

Runner ups:
1. Bloodlines,
2. Half-Life 2,
3. Vampire Survivors.

Wow and you guys waste your time watching his video kek

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This should be good:

1. World of Warcraft,
2. Elden Ring,
3. Skyrim,
5. Baldur's Gate 3.

Runner ups:
1. Bloodlines,
2. Half-Life 2,
3. Vampire Survivors.

He's really gone full retard.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
A better topic would be pre-21st century RPG master class, in which Tim discusses games that are actually worth learning from.

My tentative top 5:

1. Fallout (how to do structure in an open world non-linear game)
2. Pool of Radiance (how to do a low level adventure)
3. Ultima Underworld (how to make non-combat gameplay just as engaging as combat)
4. Rogue (how dying and losing all progress can be fun and addictive)
5. Planescape: Torment (how to do a narrative-heavy game without it becoming a movie)
Fallout (how to do a game that is not just simply a cRPG, but something truly special).

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
All five of those put the player in the driver's seat first and foremost, instead of funneling you down a narrow path, curating XP, or forcing a story role on you. That's a core RPG experience that games like Colony Ship, Pillars, and Solasta fail at, while Underrail and JA3 managed to achieve.

I've said this many times now, but if those AAA games are all so "bad", do better. Don't reject their good ideas because they were implemented "for casuals," make them the right way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
World of Warcraft - typical Tim-m-o

Elden Ring - following the herd

Skyrim - still following the herd

Fallout New Vegas - amused at how he (correctly) considers this one to be the faithful update and not 3

Baldur's Gate 3 - agenda acknowledged

Runner-ups:

Bloodlines - Ehhhhhhhhhhh

Half-Life 2 - Ehhhhhhhh....????????????????

Vampire Survivors - okay, enough

I'm terribly amused at how the Disco Commies and Witchers and KCD-crusaders are fuming in the comments but if you've been following these videos you should know that he does not care for these types of games. :lol:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
if those AAA games are all so "bad", do better.

Well, he certainly didn't do better with The Outer Worlds. Now I understand why.
Considering Fallout and Arcanum were both very open, and ToEE is about as open as a dungeon crawler can be, while Bloodlines and TOW were much more constrained, I'd say Tim forgot what made his old games good. Or caved to pressure and the realities technology.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom