Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Krivol

Magister
Is the gameplay garbage because of that? No
I never said it's utter garbage. It's just... not great either. Honestly, the setting, graphics and curiosity pushed me through the game better than 66 identical gigs (still I liked sneaking and killing).

Yosharian

Arcane
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/49831/patch-2-11

So is this the last update, is CDPR done working on this game for good?

I would like to finally try a stabilized post 2.0 game

this game lacks the most important thing in gaming - good gameplay
Honestly this complaint feels overblown and dishonest
Even back in the early days of the game, the mechanical moment-to-moment gameplay was fine (better than any classic GTA imo, unless you mean to tell me those games also aren't good)

Is it an RPG? No
Is the gameplay garbage because of that? No
It took them over 3 years to fix rebinding keys

PC developers are embarrassing

Barbarian

Arcane
Globohomo reality or night city videogame setting? Which is worse and why?

DISCUSS!!!

Is this even an RPG? Feels more like a GTA game.
Nothing wrong with that.

Isn't the currently accepted definition of role-playing just having a leveling system and some sort of choice & consequence?

This is certainly as much of an rpg as the witcher series games were anyway.

Melcar

Arcane
I'm confident to say that anyone who praised this game (and/or still does) is a shill or a young millennial/genZ that has not experienced gaming for more than half a decade. And this is with the "fixed" release with the patch. Can't even imagine the initial release.
As a game, a "RPG", it's alright compared to shit like The Witcher or most other "RPGs" of the last decade. Graphics wise, it does nothing that games like Mankind Divided did not do a few years earlier. Except for ray tracing.
And about ray tracing. Except for reflections (once you look at RT reflections non-RT reflections looks like ass) there really isn't much to talk about, except for the massive frame drop. This is true for all other RT capable games I have tried.

Parabalus

Arcane

DISCUSS!!!

Nothing wrong with that.

Isn't the currently accepted definition of role-playing just having a leveling system and some sort of choice & consequence?

eytrxh-jpg.46513

Nothing wrong with that.
Yeah, but you go in with different expectations.

Gargaune

Magister
Whut. It was never fixed, you could never rebind the 'interact' key properly
It was, they fixed in some 1.x patch, I forget which. "Interact" was rebindable and it applied to all relevant functions. Since 2.0 rolled around, the "interact" rebind is still there but misses half the shit it should cover, like choosing dialogue, exiting your car or activating your bed etc. So you're back to editing an .xml manually which, in turn, breaks delta patching. Because, you know, small indie studio, plz no bully.

And about ray tracing. Except for reflections (once you look at RT reflections non-RT reflections looks like ass) there really isn't much to talk about, except for the massive frame drop. This is true for all other RT capable games I have tried.
This I really disagree with, there might be a subjective element, but I feel the difference is quite spectacular. Reflections are just the icing on the cake, what seals the deal for me is just the way the light blends across the scene, it's so much more natural. I put up with DLSS, performance mods and the occasionally dipping FPS in PL just to keep that juicy Path Tracing on.

Yosharian

Arcane
It was, they fixed in some 1.x patch, I forget which. "Interact" was rebindable and it applied to all relevant functions. Since 2.0 rolled around, the "interact" rebind is still there but misses half the shit it should cover, like choosing dialogue, exiting your car or activating your bed etc. So you're back to editing an .xml manually which, in turn, breaks delta patching. Because, you know, small indie studio, plz no bully.

Oh. I had no idea.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Oh. I had no idea.
Not everywhere though. I think some actions are not bindable in the options and are still bound to F. Enter/exit vehichle? I don't remember.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

DISCUSS!!!

Nothing wrong with that.

The brouhaha is because it turned out to be not as much of an RPG as was promised (I vaguely remember that the middle-period promotional materials were sort of saying something to the effect of, "We're going to do the RPG thing better than we've ever done it before in this game"). It is kind of vaguely RPG-ish like many modern games.

As to the question, undoubtedly modern life is worse, because the cyberpunk dystopia is pretty similar to ours, except in the cyberpunk dystopia you can get at least get cyberware to do cool shit with.

Yosharian

Arcane

Oh. I had no idea.
Not everywhere though. I think some actions are not bindable in the options and are still bound to F. Enter/exit vehichle? I don't remember.
They are claiming they have fixed it all now?

Gargaune

Magister
Yeah, that's what I said - in 1.0 there was no F rebind, in 1.5 (I think) they introduced one which covered the full spectrum of interactions, in 2.0 there's still a configurable kebyind but it only covers some interactions whereas others are back to F for "fuck you if you don't like it" again. It's not hardcoded per se, you can fully rebind it by manually editing inputUserMappings.xml in the game directory (not UserSettings.json in AppData), but that may prevent you delta patching the install going forward.

It was exceptionally damning of CDPR's practices that the game first launched without a user keybind for its main interaction input, and it was gobsmacking how long it took them to address it, but to see an actual regression with their shiny new "now-it's-good-trust-me-bro" edition suggests their dev flows are an absolute shambles.

They are claiming they have fixed it all now?
Did they? I briefly skimmed the 2.11 changelog and didn't catch anything to that effect. I'm running 2.1 and had to manually edit my config, and I'm not updating this mess again just for the radio fix.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Q and E are the default keys for rotating the character during character customization. If you set every F to E to in the game options, this will not unbind E from this function and sometimes you may execute two actions with the same E keypress, for example if modifying your looks in the mirror. I think I've had this problem the last time I was playing 2.0

The problem with keybinds is especially irritating, because for some reason game patches make changes to the keybinds files and reset your configuration, which you then have to manually redo. Because you patched your game. Kurwa programming.

AwesomeButton

Patron

I mean, W3 was hardly some super deep RPG. If anything, post-2.0 CP77 is substantial improvement in terms of mechanics and build options and overall gameplay variety.
"Builds" were still a flavor thing. Style over substance. Choose in what way you would be awesome. Imitate nolifer youtuber X's "style of playing the game". Because rushing an enemy base by jumping from a bike and knifing enemies in slow-mo requires much more skill than headshotting them CoD-style without slow-mo. And makes... zero difference.

It was a pathetic sales pitch. The de-leveling of everything and the reduction of trash loot are the better part of 2.0.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It was never an RPG.

Anyone with a brian in his head knew this from the beginning.
Of course CP2077 wasn't an RPG.

While it had:
- character creation,
- character development,
- several different builds,
- lots of exploration,
- stat based action combat,
- choices and consequences that affected the story in numerous ways,
- 5 main endings with dozens of variations based on how you dealt with different quests...

It obviously lacked the most important feature of #currentday rpgs: wild, sweaty bear sex.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I'm confident to say that anyone who praised this game (and/or still does) is a shill or a young millennial/genZ that has not experienced gaming for more than half a decade.
Do tell what is it about this game that makes it worse than classic GTA (not to meantion modern R* games and Starslop)

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
Of course CP2077 wasn't an RPG. [...]
The average Codexer uses "RPG" as an indicator of quality rather than a structural descriptor. Didn't you know that if you concede that Cyberpunk's an Action-RPG, Temple of Elemental Evil will stop working on your computer?

That said, you don't wanna go too far in the other direction, and I'm taking issue with those "numerous" choices that affected your story here. Twelve instances of something might be called numerous absent context, but you wouldn't see it that way if you said "twelve out of a million." And CBP's examples of having player agency pale in comparison to all those when it could and should've had it but didn't. The game has the odd meaningful choice along its main plot, but most of the rest is fluff and fake yellow dialogue along linear progressions.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

I mean, W3 was hardly some super deep RPG. If anything, post-2.0 CP77 is substantial improvement in terms of mechanics and build options and overall gameplay variety.
"Builds" were still a flavor thing. Style over substance. Choose in what way you would be awesome. Imitate nolifer youtuber X's "style of playing the game". Because rushing an enemy base by jumping from a bike and knifing enemies in slow-mo requires much more skill than headshotting them CoD-style without slow-mo. And makes... zero difference.

So what? It also makes zero difference whether wizards kills enemies with fireballs or Fighters kills them with a sword, or if you shoot dudes with a heaavy weapon or energy weapon in Fallout. In the end enemies are dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom